Teams New York Giants - The G-Men

Remove this Banner Ad

You were right The Flying Belgian ... Last time I go into bat for Rickey and his info haha, the QB run was nuts, love Nabers. Special talent.
Well, to be fair, if they'd be able to land Maye, i'd have thought they'd move on quite quickly. Still if Lock looks OK through the pre-season they might still not play DJ - given Lock's history that seems unlikely though.

It also wouldn't surprise if the Mara's put their foot down, saying "you paid this guy, you need to give him a better chance of succeeding". Better depth through the O-line, a new O-line coach. I don't know whether he's the guy long-term, but he's been set up to fail. The neck issues do concern me though.

I'd have preferred Odunze, but not complaining at all with Nabers.

Daniel Jones will play all four years of his Giants contract​

We went into Thursday night suspecting the Giants would draft Jones' successor in the first round. They played around with trading up to No. 3 for Maye but couldn't make it happen. When their pick came around at No. 6, McCarthy, Penix and Nix were all there, but they took wide receiver Malik Nabers instead. This can be read as at least a slight vote of confidence for Jones, who has $36 million in guaranteed money coming this year and then two more non-guaranteed years after that on the four-year deal he signed in March 2023.

Jones is coming off a season-ending ACL injury, but the Giants expect him to be able to play this season and Nabers gives him a better receiver than he has had at any point during his tenure as the Giants' starter.

Verdict: OVERREACTION

Sure, it's possible. And it's certainly more possible now than it would have been if the Giants had traded up for Maye on Thursday. But Jones still carries projected cap numbers of $41.6 million in 2025 and $58.6 million in 2026, so he's going to have to be pretty good to justify them keeping him beyond 2024.

Jones has had neck injuries and knee injuries. He has played one full season out of a possible five. He hasn't thrown more than 15 touchdown passes in a season since he threw 24 as a rookie in 2019. Jones has a lot more to show if he's going to convince the Giants to keep building the team around him rather than working to replace him. If his 2024 season succumbs once again to injury and/or ineffectiveness, the Giants could be looking for quarterback in next year's draft.

Shouldve drafted Penix or McCarthy and come back for a WR following pick.
Seems like the smarter play in hindsight, not sure they expected the QB carnage behind them, the Falcons really threw the entire draft out of whack.

Yep, seems Maye was "their guy", but no point settling for someone, if you think them no better than what you have already (or at the lest have question marks). Penix doesn't suit Daboll's idea of what a QB should be and JJ is just too much of an unknown.

To me, I think the GM screwed up last year by not beefing up the O-line and I also think they know they screwed up. While they took steps in free agency, I think they could have selected another guard in the draft. I've said before, Jones has been set up to fail by signings like Waller and Golladay, and a leaky O-Line. I think they'll start the year with Jones, but if things aren't looking good they'll rely on Lock & DeVito to scrape through and continue to build the team. QB's who come into teams with little protection or targets are

We're still playing catch-up from years of mismanagement, and even then I'm still convinced the current mob are any better. But drafting a WR1 was a good step to righting some wrongs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back