New foxtel cup qualification is needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I have found this years format does not work.

a better format would be

top 2 from VFL, SANFL and WAFL
Top team from NT, QLD, NSW, North and SFL in tas

Qualifying games between 3 & 4 of VFL, SANFL and WAFL

2nd teams from northern and southern tassie leagues play off

round robbin format pitting the 2nd teams from NT, NSW and QLD for the last qualifier spot

is a knock-out comp, with the lower ranked teams hosting the higher ranked teams

Is the best way to promote the comp, is much more even, allows the AFL to keep the promotion in NSW and QLD (infact, would probably increase promotion during the round robin)

There’s going to need to be at least a little bit of juggling around given GWS won’t be an automatic inclusion next season.

I also question why NT Thunder as “NT representative” are going to get an automatic spot each year. They more than acquitted themselves this time around and look favourites to win the NEAFL which would put them in again next year anyway, but going forward we need a fair model.

It’s supposedly called the “league championship cup” but that wasn’t quite the way the entrants were decided.

Personally I’d be going for –

SANFL – top 3
WAFL - top 3
VFL – top 4
NEAFL – 4 teams – not quite sure how this league works. Perhaps top 2 from each conference – that would help with the geographical spread.
TAS – premier
Sydney AFL - premier

I disagree with having qualifying games for the cup. Assuming the clubs think the foxtel cup is a good thing then finishing top 3 etc should be a reward from the season prior.

North and SFL in tas
Why not just the TSL premier as it was this year?

I suspect that if the competition is retained, it will probably end up being four from each of WAFL, SANFL and VFL and the top two from each NEAFL conference, with Tas out and no guarantees for the Thunder. Easy to do this year, with NT currently unbeaten in the northern conference and the Swans and GWS leading the eastern.

I'm not saying that's how it should be, but Fox doesn't exist in Tas or NT (until they buy Austar) and they aren't markets the AFL cares too much about either.

1 Defending champion
1 Northern Territory
2 NEAFL (1 N, 1 E)
1 SFL
1 TFL
3 SANFL
3 WAFL
3 VFL

if say Williamstown wins both VFL and is defending champions
3 vfl spots are offered to 2nd-4th

1 Defending champion
1 Northern Territory
2 NEAFL (1 N, 1 E)
1 SFL
1 TFL
3 SANFL
3 WAFL
3 VFL

if say Williamstown wins both VFL and is defending champions
3 vfl spots are offered to 2nd-4th
I reckon thats pretty close. You only have 15 teams though & I dont think that Northern Territory should get an automatic spot seeing as though its automatic entry for the same team each year. There spot should be added to the NEAFL to make it 3 spots.

I reckon it will end up something like this:
1 Defending champion
4 NEAFL (2 N, 2 E)
1 SFL
1 TFL
3 SANFL
3 WAFL
3 VFL

Would love to see an Ovens & Murray team given the spot for NSW footy over Sydney AFL. Having seen both in the last year, I'd put the house of Albury Tigers over an East Coast or Sydney Uni. Top players are similar but the depth is stronger in O & M. Could well be proven wrong however.

I don't think there'll be two Canberra sides (NEAFL Eastern). There's only 5 sides apart from GWS and Sydney (Belconnen, Ainslie, Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Eastlake) and even the premiers, Ainslie, were uncompetitive against West Adelaide.

I reckon there should be a two division foxtel cup comp next year.

DIVISION 1

3 best teams from VFL (ie North Ballarat, Williamstown, Box Hill Hawks)
3 best teams from SANFL (ie Centrals, Glenelg, Norwood)
3 best teams from WAFL (Claremont, Swan Districts, South Fremantle)
1 team from TSL (ie TSL premier)

DIVISION 2

1 team from NEAFL
1 team from VCFL qualifying series
1 team from VAFA Premier
1 team from AFLNSW
1 team from AFL Queensland
1 team from Tiwi Island Football League

I also think something needs to be done about having the top three from the previous year.

Having East Perth and Swan Districts in the comp is a joke, doesn't give the WAFL a very good name...

^^^ What he said.
Yeah it's a bit of a problem for WA clubs at least because of the usual player drain/exodus to comps other than our own.

But it is really hard to know how well a team is going to do in a new season so I'm not sure what the answer is here. Unfortunately for Swans and East Perth they aren't having good seasons.
This does make the WAFL look not so good.
It would have been nice to have East Freo and West Perth in instead but......not sure what the solution is really.

East Coast Eagles and Sydney Uni are joining the NEAFL eastern conference from the Sydney AFL so the later comp. won't have a spot next year presumably. So I'm guessing the AFL wants two teams from each conference of the NEAFL in the Foxtel Cup.

3 x VFL
3 x SANFL
3 x WAFL
2 x NEAFL (north) ... not including NT Thunder
2 x NEAFL (east)
1 x TFL
1 x reigning champion
1 x NT Thunder as NT's representative

East Coast Eagles and Sydney Uni are joining the NEAFL eastern conference from the Sydney AFL so the later comp. won't have a spot next year presumably. So I'm guessing the AFL wants two teams from each conference of the NEAFL in the Foxtel Cup.

3 x VFL
3 x SANFL
3 x WAFL
2 x NEAFL (north) ... not including NT Thunder
2 x NEAFL (east)
1 x TFL
1 x reigning champion
1 x NT Thunder as NT's representative
Done some thinking & i'd have:
3 x VFL
3 x SANFL
3 x WAFL
1 x TFL
2 x NEAFL (North) (NT Thunder have to qualify, no auto entry)
2 x NEAFL (East)
1 x AFL Sydney
1 x Defending Champion*

* If defending champion has qualfied twice, extra spot goes to a 2nd TFL side.

4 VFL, 4 SANFL, 4 WAFL, 1 TSL, 2 NEAFL and 1 defending champ. NT has to qualify, and Sydney will be in the NEAFL as of next year anyway...also, a seeding needs to be done for the first round (1v16, 2v15, that sort of thing)...

Quality is the big issue - until the non-big 3 teams can supply genuine challengers, you'll need to limit the damage, otherwise the tv product will be rubbish. Only a couple of games have been close in 2011, and they were between the big states. Putting lesser teams (non-premiers) from lesser leagues will see the types of blowouts more commonly associated with Swan Districts taking on Richmond...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 VFL, 4 SANFL, 4 WAFL, 1 TSL, 2 NEAFL and 1 defending champ. NT has to qualify, and Sydney will be in the NEAFL as of next year anyway...also, a seeding needs to be done for the first round (1v16, 2v15, that sort of thing)...

Quality is the big issue - until the non-big 3 teams can supply genuine challengers, you'll need to limit the damage, otherwise the tv product will be rubbish. Only a couple of games have been close in 2011, and they were between the big states. Putting lesser teams (non-premiers) from lesser leagues will see the types of blowouts more commonly associated with Swan Districts taking on Richmond...

In the case of that game Swan Districts sent over their reserves side in a fit of pique over scheduling. Previous to that match they took out Collingwood.
There had been some pretty horrific blowouts between full league sides in the old interstate club comps though, South Freo vs Fitzroy and South Freo vs Sydney/Sth Melbourne come to mind. Souths did manage to flog Carlton back then too so.....

I reckon there should be a two division foxtel cup comp next year.

DIVISION 1

3 best teams from VFL (ie North Ballarat, Williamstown, Box Hill Hawks)
3 best teams from SANFL (ie Centrals, Glenelg, Norwood)
3 best teams from WAFL (Claremont, Swan Districts, South Fremantle)
1 team from TSL (ie TSL premier)

DIVISION 2

1 team from NEAFL
1 team from VCFL qualifying series
1 team from VAFA Premier
1 team from AFLNSW
1 team from AFL Queensland
1 team from Tiwi Island Football League

The NEAFL sides are far stronger than the TSL team.

VFL - 3 (Port Melbourne, Williamstown, North Ballarat)
WAFL - 3 (West Perth, Claremont, South Fremantle)
SANFL - 3 (Central Districts, Norwood, WWT)
NEAFL North - 3 (NT Thunder, Gold Coast, Mt Gravatt)
NEAFL East - 2 (Swans, GWS)
TSL - 1 (Launceston)
Sydney AFL - 1 (Balmain)
Reigning Champion - 1 (Williamstown/Claremont)

VFL - 3
WAFL - 3
SANFL - 3
NEAFL North - 3
NEAFL East - 2
TSL - 1
Reigning Champion - 1

If the Reigning champion already qualifies then the last place is a wildcard decided at the organizers discretion. Their is talk off a Cairns based NEAFL team next year, if they or the NT thunder miss out on qualification for 2013 one of them could get in or it would go the fourth place team in one of the VFL, WAFL or SANFL.

VFL - 3 (Port Melbourne, Williamstown, North Ballarat)
WAFL - 3 (West Perth, Claremont, South Fremantle)
SANFL - 3 (Central Districts, Norwood, WWT)
NEAFL North - 3 (NT Thunder, Gold Coast, Mt Gravatt)
NEAFL East - 2 (Swans, GWS)
TSL - 1 (Launceston)
Sydney AFL - 1 (Balmain)
Reigning Champion - 1 (Williamstown/Claremont)

VFL - 3
WAFL - 3
SANFL - 3
NEAFL North - 3
NEAFL East - 2
TSL - 1
Reigning Champion - 1

If the Reigning champion already qualifies then the last place is a wildcard decided at the organizers discretion. Their is talk off a Cairns based NEAFL team next year, if they or the NT thunder miss out on qualification for 2013 one of them could get in or it would go the fourth place team in one of the VFL, WAFL or SANFL.

In my opinion the reigning champions league, should have an extra spot.

In my opinion if the reigning champions league should have an extra spot.
The wildcard is better option in my opinion. It hads a bit of flexibility. If 4th placed VFL team finishes one win below the 1st place team while the 4th placed WAFL team is 4 wins behind the 3rd place team you would obiviously prefer the VFL team.

The wildcard is better option in my opinion. It hads a bit of flexibility. If 4th placed VFL team finishes one win below the 1st place team while the 4th placed WAFL team is 4 wins behind the 3rd place team you would obiviously prefer the VFL team.

Not really.
That could mean that the top VFL teams are quite weak, whereas the top WAFL teams are quite strong.

It's better to have a set qualification rule rather than an arbitary one.

Not really.
That could mean that the top VFL teams are quite weak, whereas the top WAFL teams are quite strong.
It could mean that or it could mean all four VFL teams are strong. What it certainly means that the 4th WAFL team is no where near as good as the top 3.

What if in both leagues, 4th placed is a game off top place?
What happens if a SANFL team is the winner and then neither makes it?
What happens if the Swans reserves are the winner, do they really need a third NSW/ACT team?

A set qualification system is better.
The qualification is set except if a team qualifies twice. And even then its only one place.

What happens if a SANFL team is the winner and then neither makes it?
What happens if the Swans reserves are the winner, do they really need a third NSW/ACT team?

The qualification is set except if a team qualifies twice. And even then its only one place.

Then the SANFL should have a 4th team.

Done some thinking & i'd have:
3 x VFL
3 x SANFL
3 x WAFL
1 x TFL
2 x NEAFL (North) (NT Thunder have to qualify, no auto entry)
2 x NEAFL (East)
1 x AFL Sydney
1 x Defending Champion*

* If defending champion has qualfied twice, extra spot goes to a 2nd TFL side.

Like others, I reckon if the defending champion qualifies again the extra spot could go to the league they are from (or the defending champs go straight into the second round).

Some Sydney teams are joining the NEAFL I believe, so after next year that would need to change. Perhaps both the previous year's finalists could go in - the problem there is that you could end up inviting 5 teams from one league.

That balance looks pretty good though.

I reckon thats pretty close. You only have 15 teams though & I dont think that Northern Territory should get an automatic spot seeing as though its automatic entry for the same team each year. There spot should be added to the NEAFL to make it 3 spots.

I reckon it will end up something like this:
1 Defending champion
4 NEAFL (2 N, 2 E)
1 SFL
1 TFL
3 SANFL
3 WAFL
3 VFL

Why not offer the NT spot to the actual NT league played in the wet season? I know it is the opposite season to us but it stops the Thunder getting the spot each year and gives the likes of St. Mary's a go as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back