Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, get all of that. But we've already spent a fair bit of cash on this project, yet it seems we were arrogant enough to think that paying the SANFL out of their lease was enough, without one person saying "umm what if they can't find an alternative?".

Surely it’s worse than that, it’d have to be a specific clause in whatever contract or HoA we signed. Nobody asked a what if question on the clause? “Hey, anybody know shat this is or why it’s in here?”

It seems odd to you because everything is black or white to you (or red or blue). You jump on 1990 as if he's questioning the moon landing, when in reality, his position is reasonable. It's his position, not mine, but I can see how a person could come to that position.

Frankly, we should have stayed at West Lakes. Once an inner city venue became a pipe dream, location no longer matters. We had a favourable long term lease and access to two ovals, facilities that only needed an upgrade and other existing infrastructure. The only way you leave that is if you can come up with something better. The only thing "better" we've come up with during this whole process is proximity to AO, but really, anything further than walking distance doesn't really represent much of a gain.

How is staying at west lakes a viable option?

To be fair, I'm sure there was a lot of interest and soft commitments from Charles Sturt. I'm sure everyone involved thought this was very safe.

But Adelaide is NIMBY capital of Australia. You should always assume nothing is going to happen, right up until the moment the first truckload of cement is poured.

Concrete

That's as strong as I've heard him on this issue, well worth the listen

The way this is all playing out, smacks of Port fans doing all the complaining. Probably all think they are doing Port a service. It will only come back, it does look like the government are considering getting involved. Only because the Sanfl got involved which caught the Port fan state government by surprise.

I still maintain that an element of professionalism went out the window with this with the government where perhaps things weren't done as they should be because of football rivalry. First premier (Port) sold our first choice right out from under us, the second refused to get involved (port) Its not a coincidence. As I said, If Port went for our original Aquatics idea, Marshall and Pete both would have ensured it not only happened, but we could have what ever we wanted.

The way this is all playing out, smacks of Port fans doing all the complaining. Probably all think they are doing Port a service. It will only come back, it does look like the government are considering getting involved. Only because the Sanfl got involved which caught the Port fan state government by surprise.

I still maintain that an element of professionalism went out the window with this with the government where perhaps things weren't done as they should be because of football rivalry. First premier (Port) sold our first choice right out from under us, the second refused to get involved (port) Its not a coincidence. As I said, If Port went for our original Aquatics idea, Marshall and Pete both would have ensured it not only happened, but we could have what ever we wanted.

Wasn’t it the former government that awarded the Bowden site to someone else.

I recall Pete saying he would review the decision but I don’t think there was anything that could be done.

Yes, he is a Port fan too. I labelled this in my write up.

To his credit, he’s looking at this through the lens of the best interests of the state/future of footy in the state than as a Port supporter.

I would not be surprised if he eventually declares this a major project, this eliminating councils from the equation.

To his credit, he’s looking at this through the lens of the best interests of the state/future of footy in the state than as a Port supporter.

I would not be surprised if he eventually declares this a major project, this eliminating councils from the equation.

He is only doing it now because the Sanfl got involved and it caught everyone off guard. I dont think he would have cared if we ended up sharing WL with the Sanfl or simply rented thebarton and that was it. The Sanfl though is the boys club. Its the one with all the hooks in every major sponsor within the state. Screw with the Sanfl, it looks bad at State level. Everything we hear is just BS rhetoric from him pretending to care for votes.

The election is still 2 years away. Don't be surprised if this becomes an election issue where both sides pretend to care but it all could have been dealt with now not then.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but a professional team playing on the national stage in any sport should have major project status allocated with what ever they needed, within reason of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really subscribe to the idea that any of our premiers have favoured "their" AFL team over the other one in anything of note, they care too much about votes and everything that goes with them to get involved with any side that isn't their party.

Im only suggesting that they sat this out, either deliberately or incompetently. Peter Malinouskas is only getting involved now because the Sanfl dilemma bit him in the arse. They didn't see this coming. They at least thought the Sanfl would land at WL. This paints a pretty dim picture of the premier really. Only jumps in when the votes could be an issue.

Interestingly he said we chose to pursue Thebarton over the gas works site, my memory was that we lost the bid.
We did. Labor then went to the election promising to review it. A few months passed and they had done nothing, we decided to move forward with Thebby rather than waiting.

He can now say they tried and we pulled out. There is no way they were going to cancel that contract and be sued by the developers, plenty fell for it though.

We did. Labor then went to the election promising to review it. A few months passed and they had done nothing, we decided to move forward with Thebby rather than waiting.

He can now say they tried and we pulled out. There is no way they were going to cancel that contract and be sued by the developers, plenty fell for it though.
We announced in August and the results were in September (and said we shouldn't have got it anyway). https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-06/sa-brompton-gas-works-review/101409814

Not Port people.

Anti AFL and anti development people.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn’t it the former government that awarded the Bowden site to someone else.

I recall Pete saying he would review the decision but I don’t think there was anything that could be done.
The use of that land for housing/retail development is better for the State.

For us to win that tender would have been nepotism.

Would have been nice, but in the scheme of things, the only correct decision was made.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think there's any sense of football rivalry with how either government has handled things.

In the end the club was the one who pulled out of the Aquatics Centre proposal.

We initially shelved the plans due to financial uncertainty surrounding COVID and we had the option to revisit things, but I suspect we were spooked by the public opposition to the plans so we elected to pull the pin and not go back to it.

We didn't win the tender for the Gas Works site, it sucked because that was the best plan as we would have actually owned the site. Even after a review, they determined that our tender wasn't strong enough even with adjusted weighting to selection critera.

The current government has been 100% adamant from Day 1 that they want the club in a venue and will do everything they can to ensure that it happens. I have no doubt at all that the previous government had the exact same mindset as the current government do.

Back