Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I have scoured the records, and have turned up the following who are before my time and/or that I've never heard:
  • Scott Lee
  • Greg Anderson
  • David Brown
  • Brett Chalmers
  • Chris Ladhams
Scott Lee - Back Pocket player on the initial list. Didnt miss a game in the first few years. Very reliable. He was 28 in 1991 so was older. Still played until end of 1995.

Greg Anderson - ummm. Hes a Magarey medalist in 1986 at Port. Moved to play VFL with Essendon. Came back to Adelaide in 1993. All Australian for crows that year. Booming left footer. Had the mullet. Delisted end of 96 with MCdermott, Jarman and McGuiness.

David Brown - Another one from the initial list. Port Adelaide Champ. Good goal kicking rover. Traded to Port in 1997 when they came into AFL. Went on to Captain Portmagpies. IN SANFL.

Chalmers - Another Port player. Was drafted by Richmond in 1989 but refused to play for them. It was Collingwood or nobody so stayed in SANFL. He was later charged with draft tampering and fined and told he couldnt be picked up for three years by Collingwood. He was then traded by Collingwood to Adelaide for a few years before us trading him to Port in 1998. Was a pretty dominant ruck in SANFL.

Ladhams - A booming left footer from North Adelaide. Never managed to cement a spot. Delisted end of 2004. Played 54 games

Umm you realise that Greg Anderson was a two time AA?

David Brown and Scott Lee had outstanding careers at SANFL level while also being solid AFL players.

Scott Lee used to fix my vending machine where I worked in the early 2000s. Good bloke but became bitter when bringing up the Crows. You couldn't blame him.

He signed an extension before the season

They're just waiting for a good game to announce it
Awesome, hopefully if he doesn't play a good game then it gets torn up!

I've said it many times before, but all Ned brings to the table is effort. He is one of the least skilled players I've ever seen play AFL. He also has the least amount of composure I've ever seen on an AFL player.

How is it possible that he has played so many games?

A half-decent coach would have noticed his lack of everything needed to play at the level by now and would have delisted him.

He only played 20 games across 94 and 95. Dont remember if that was die to injury or if he was playing SANFL. He was 32 when delisted.

Some don't want to retire like Smithers.

Sounds like my one experience with Mitch Grigg. Saw him in town one Saturday night post AFL career. Yelled out "hey Griggy go the Crows!". Grigg replies with "f*** the Crows"

Sounds like Mitch 😊

He has zero composure and very little weapons apart from manically running around, often getting in the way. Yes he does some good things from time to time, as he should given the opportunities he's been given. It just feels though that the more the powers-that-be continue to select him, the more they will continue to select him, in the continued hope he does something to justify their decision to continue to select him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned in a Nutshell

Some would say the missed set shot from 15m out is quintessential Ned, however this play to me sums up his career in about 8 seconds (clip is in half speed, playback speed at 2x for real time).

• Starts off with a trademark fumble, but let's absolve blame on this thanks to Woz's tumbler kick. But then, it's McHenrying time:
  • Takes possession, looks up, sees a defender ahead of him
  • Knows Hinge is behind him in the pocket, ignores him
  • Sees Curtin completely free in the pocket, could draw the defender then pass, ignores him
  • Has Crouch boundary side with Jones in effectively a 2 on 1 further afield for a hand ball, ignores them
  • Has Soligo with lots of space in front of him inboard, fakes a handball to him
  • Pulls the switch kick, which was a chance of being smothered to be fair

All while deciding instead to turn inboard, instead of towards the boundary, and retreat by handballing to the most dangerous spot instead of the aforementioned Curtin and Hinge who are both in a mountain of space with arms outstretched.

Ned in a Nutshell

Some would say the missed set shot from 15m out is quintessential Ned, however this play to me sums up his career in about 8 seconds (clip is in half speed, playback speed at 2x for real time).

• Starts off with a trademark fumble, but let's absolve blame on this thanks to Woz's tumbler kick. But then, it's McHenrying time:
  • Sees Curtin completely free in the pocket, could draw the defender then pass, ignores him
  • Has Crouch boundary side with Jones in effectively a 2 on 1 further afield for a hand ball, ignores them
  • Has Soligo with lots of space in front of him inboard, fakes a handball to him

All while deciding instead to turn inboard, instead of towards the boundary, and retreat by handballing to the most dangerous spot instead of the aforementioned Curtin and Hinge who are both in a mountain of space with arms outstretched.

Oh that’s classic McHenry all right. Well done. Now who can put it to Benny Hill music?

Send that to Rowey when Neddy comes in for his weekly chat.

It's not just the fact he is a complete bust the thing that is most concerning is our coaching group keep playing him. How can we have any confidence or hope that these hacks can take us to a premiership.

Get rid of them all before they completely mismanage the few good young players we have on the list.

When we’re over 200 on that pressure rating, we’re winning. That is what McHenry brings. Not everyone is a Rolls Royce. McHenry has played his role the last month, especially with the absence of Murphy and Pedlar, who can bring similar pressure in that small forward role.

We'd all love to have a Cyril Rioli playing that role, but the reality is there's not too many like him and it is a very hard position to play and after an ordinary start to the season, McHenry has given it a fair crack in recent games IMO.

Ned in a Nutshell

The kick from Worrell was actually pretty good, it bounced right onto McHenry's chest

When we’re over 200 on that pressure rating, we’re winning. That is what McHenry brings. Not everyone is a Rolls Royce. McHenry has played his role the last month, especially with the absence of Murphy and Pedlar, who can bring similar pressure in that small forward role.

We'd all love to have a Cyril Rioli playing that role, but the reality is there's not too many like him and it is a very hard position to play and after an ordinary start to the season, McHenry has given it a fair crack in recent games IMO.
Sounds good in theory, but that’s not the reality. The pressure rating of 200 against Port, McHenry had 6 pressure acts. Against Lions and Essendon 12.

As a comparison against Port, Rachelle 14, Soligo 31, Fogarty 8, Curtin 7, Jones 14, Himmelberg 5, Tex 6, Keays 18.

So players playing similar roles more than doubled his output, with his numbers being similar to key position forwards and a first gamer playing 3 quarters of a game!

As for his role, he’s actually playing wing as well. Plenty of opportunity to get the ball.

McHenry is all hot air, no substance. He’s s**t and should only ever be a sub at best.

Ned in a Nutshell

It's honestly crazy that he went in board from there, he sucks.

I'm not so sure. I agree people didn't think McHenry was much good early, but I think the hate really ramped up once he hit 50 matches or so.

It's like being baffled that someone who has shown so little can reach that many games.

A guy like Borlase who has shown little and not played much, there's just an assumption they won't play many more games. No angst or hate, everyone knows and is on the same page.

It's the combination of not improving and continuing to be selected that gets people to turn.

Maybe. I think it’s more high draft pick that has not worked out as we needed rather than just as simple as keeps getting selected

And people on here generally go off stupidly way to early. There was a few people suggesting Fog would be delisted only 24 months ago

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back