Toast ND Pick #13 - Welcome to Freo Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention that the step up to AFL is massive and I doubt Weller is going to have anywhere near as much time and space in the big leagues as he did in the little leagues.

Not sure this has been posted, mostly terrible quality and has stuff from the two vids on the first page but also some footage I hadn't seen before.

He looks like an elite decision maker and has the skills to capitalise on that.

Reminds me of a young Ben Cousins (drugs aside). Sorry but just being honest.

Have you actually watched Duggan's highlights? Man was roosting 60 metres with ease, making great decision plus he is almost a full year younger than most other draftees.

Yes, Weller has more pace, but don't act like Duggan's highlights weren't very impressive aswell.

Blakely doesn't have blistering pace, quite the opposite, does that make him vanilla?
This is more about the type of players that WC take. You guys have a midfield that is generally acknowledged as being too slow and lacking in x-factor. Duggan is very tidy and smart but he's not quick (by all accounts) or particularly damaging (again based on info available to the common man).

Someone like Blakely is perfect for Freo because we have Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Pearce who are all either super quick, tall or capable of freaky things. Its having a balance of different types.

I'm sure Duggan will be a fine player. By all accounts he has a great attitude and is extremely professional. I'm just genuinely surprised that WC took him when Weller seems to have more of the attributes you could have used. Time will tell. Its all hypotheticals and bullshit at this point.

This is more about the type of players that WC take. You guys have a midfield that is generally acknowledged as being too slow and lacking in x-factor. Duggan is very tidy and smart but he's not quick (by all accounts) or particularly damaging (again based on info available to the common man).

Someone like Blakely is perfect for Freo because we have Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Pearce who are all either super quick, tall or capable of freaky things. Its having a balance of different types.

I'm sure Duggan will be a fine player. By all accounts he has a great attitude and is extremely professional. I'm just genuinely surprised that WC took him when Weller seems to have more of the attributes you could have used. Time will tell. Its all hypotheticals and bullshit at this point.

Great post mate, I agree with all of this except the Duggan not being damaging part.

Pearce being capable of freaky things is very apt. ;)

Tarrant wasn't reluctant. He emphatically stated he wanted to play for either Freo or West Coast, as he was chasing a flag. He did the same thing after Collingwood won the flag in 2010 and looked like going back to back. Is it wrong that I enjoy the fact he never got one?
No. In fact your feelings are nothing but correct. No greater divine justice than that flog never getting a flag.

Go and watch Duggan's highlights and then rewatch Weller's highlights.

Then you will come to realise a very simple truth. The drug culture at the Eagles has reached their recruitment dept.
Lol.

You're stating a truth based on highlights.

One name - Naitanui.

Anyway, Weller looks to be a very good prospect and wouldn't have been out of place had he been picked top 10, the same with Duggan.

Lol.

One name - Naitanui.

Anyway, Weller looks to be a very good prospect and wouldn't have been out of place had he been picked top 10, the same with Duggan.

Yeah, i did say based on highlights... cause thats all I have to go on. Haven't seen any in person.

It's more that Duggan's highlights don't seem to have many actual highlights. A few long bombs to no one in particular, a few loopy hand balls. I mean they included an out on the full attempted shot on goal!! Who the heck puts that in a highlights package.

But i get your drift, highlights aren't a very good indicator.

Curious, if right now before any games are played you could swap Weller and Blakely for Duggan and Lamb would you?

Lol.

One name - Naitanui.

Arent you stating a truth from highlights by stating they both look like top 10 prospects from the highlights. In his opinion one has better highlights than the other you are saying both their highlights are similar.... highlights highlights.

Yeah, i did say based on highlights... cause thats all I have to go on. Haven't seen any in person.

It's more that Duggan's highlights don't seem to have many actual highlights. A few long bombs to no one in particular, a few loopy hand balls. I mean they included an out on the full attempted shot on goal!! Who the heck puts that in a highlights package.

But i get your drift, highlights aren't a very good indicator.

Curious, if right now before any games are played you could swap Weller and Blakely for Duggan and Lamb would you?

Don't even

Short answer : Yes

Longer answer is I'm undecided and it will depend on how big a risk you are willing to take. Curiously, given that the Eagles are criticised for taking the safe option we've taken the riskier combination.

To me both Duggan and Weller were safe picks in that they both project as solid AFL players who draft experts believe will have long AFL careers although Weller does appear the more exciting if we are referencing highlight packages.

Having gone the "safe" road with our 1st pick we have definitely rolled the dice with our 2nd by choosing Lamb who appears to be a very boom or bust pick whereas Blakely will in all likelihood be a good, maybe very good, player but wouldn't be described as having the x-factor that Lamb might bring.

I'm more conservative so that's why I answered yes to begin with but I'm glad the club has taken a risk this year with Lamb and across our 5 draftees our recruiters have done well to find players that address what the club believe to be the areas of concern with our list (Rightly or wrongly the club doesn't think our lack of leg speed is as big a problem as our ability to win clearances and move the ball cleanly for long enough). I also think Freo's recruiters have done well with their selections to bolster your already strong midfield - the risk, for wont of a better word, they have taken is backing in your ability to develop the talls you already have rather than add players to that area through the 2014 draft

Arent you stating a truth from highlights by stating they both look like top 10 prospects from the highlights. In his opinion one has better highlights than the other you are saying both their highlights are similar.... highlights highlights.

No I've not just gone off highlight videos to form a view that both players would have been out of place in the top 10. Most notedly, both players were invited to attend the draft which means one or more clubs with a top 10 pick had indicated they were considering Weller and/or Duggan in that range. Other than that, I read a lot of what was written by draft watchers with far more knowledge than I'd ever have on potential recruits to form a view that both of those boys would have been taken by the time it came to our pick 11

Short answer : Yes

Longer answer is I'm undecided and it will depend on how big a risk you are willing to take. Curiously, given that the Eagles are criticised for taking the safe option we've taken the riskier combination.

To me both Duggan and Weller were safe picks in that they both project as solid AFL players who draft experts believe will have long AFL careers although Weller does appear the more exciting if we are referencing highlight packages.

Having gone the "safe" road with our 1st pick we have definitely rolled the dice with our 2nd by choosing Lamb who appears to be a very boom or bust pick whereas Blakely will in all likelihood be a good, maybe very good, player but wouldn't be described as having the x-factor that Lamb might bring.

I'm more conservative so that's why I answered yes to begin with but I'm glad the club has taken a risk this year with Lamb and across our 5 draftees our recruiters have done well to find players that address what the club believe to be the areas of concern with our list (Rightly or wrongly the club doesn't think our lack of leg speed is as big a problem as our ability to win clearances and move the ball cleanly for long enough). I also think Freo's recruiters have done well with their selections to bolster your already strong midfield - the risk, for wont of a better word, they have taken is backing in your ability to develop the talls you already have rather than add players to that area through the 2014 draft

I get the feeling we were looking at building stronger rotations through the midfield. Players that can rotate through forward and back without dropping away from our strength in maintaining pressure and possession. I reckon our selectors felt this was our greater need with the current interchange rules. Tall midfielders seem to be a harder matchup for the tall defenders than the resting ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duggan's highlights look amazing - Don't think I have ever seen anyone kick off both feet like that.
He will be a dangerous player in the future.

Weller looks so much like his brother when he runs, that really staunch and strong hold on the footy and that slight waddle or something. I realise highlights can be very selective and naturally neglect massive issues like inconsistencies or faults, but he looked very, very polished.

Go and watch Duggan's highlights and then rewatch Weller's highlights.

Then you will come to realise a very simple truth. The drug culture at the Eagles has reached their recruitment dept.

Hahaha

I think Duggan will be a decent player but Weller seems like he suits their needs a bit better not to mention more suited for Subi.

Weller looks so much like his brother when he runs, that really staunch and strong hold on the footy and that slight waddle or something. I realise highlights can be very selective and naturally neglect massive issues like inconsistencies or faults, but he looked very, very polished.

Looks like a one touch player too, ball just sticks in his hands when he hits it at pace.

Hahaha

I think Duggan will be a decent player but Weller seems like he suits their needs a bit better not to mention more suited for Subi.
Which becomes irrelevant in 3 years time

For the record, the club rated Weller 2 spots Higher than Duggan, and would have picked him even if Duggan was available. But still rated Duggan highly.

I can believe that. Will be interesting to see who ends up the better player.

Not that it matters one iota to me what kind of player Duggan turns out to be, but he does have a bit of Robert Harvey about him IMO. Hope he's not as good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back