Toast ND Pick #13 - Welcome to Freo Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping the club would have released a new highlights package of the draftees as I'm pretty sure they have done that in the past rather than putting the same one off of the AFL site up.

Terrific young player Weller is! A real elite talent. Interesting note over here is that he has been coached by Matt Angus who coached at Claremont with the colts. Believe he coached fyfe before being drafted too. At broadbeach he was easily the best talent since Reiwoldt.

Lachie is originally from tassie - around Burnie from memory, same area as Pearce and grey so I reckon that'll reduce some feelings of flying out of here.
Regular games in a winning team is the best preventative though !!

The only negative I have read is that he is a flight risk, coming from a close family and have relocated
to Melbourne to be closer to his brother at the saints I think.
On another note the WC board they are already comparing Weller to Duggan, you would think after the Balla vs Swift
argument they would give it a rest.

I have'nt read all of this thread but has anyone else got the impression from his highlights that he has similarities with Ben Cousins - sans chemical problems of course.

Benny, for all his troubles, was a great midfielder. This kid reminds me of him for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have'nt read all of this thread but has anyone else got the impression from his highlights that he has similarities with Ben Cousins - sans chemical problems of course.

Benny, for all his troubles, was a great midfielder. This kid reminds me of him for some reason.
Yes very similar. Hopefully those similarities don't extend to off the field...

Good job guys, I have Weller as the best mid in the draft (in five years time).

Would've loved him at the Saints, he is a bit of a flight risk - but two years is too far away and so much can change between now and then so I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

Imo is worth the risk, much like Aish was worth the risk last year. He is a beauty and you've done well to land him.

Flight risk??

He's Tasmanian, moved to Brisvegas. Hes needed to adapt to new areas, make friends etc. He'll just do what he did in on the coast. He'll be in Victoria most fortnights assuming hes playing for Freo.

Flight risk??

He's Tasmanian, moved to Brisvegas. Hes needed to adapt to new areas, make friends etc. He'll just do what he did in on the coast. He'll be in Victoria most fortnights assuming hes playing for Freo.

You are right about all of those things so best case scenario is he will adapt as you say. The thing which makes him a potential flight risk is that he is from a close knit family. His family moved to Brisvegas to be with Mav, and the plan was to move to Vic this year when drafted. Mav is pretty underrated outside of St Kilda, he could even emerge this year as being in our leadership group. Having said that, Lachie is twice the player Mav is.

Saints fans make the connection between Mav, his close knit families wish for them to be together, the Burnie connection with Eli and now the friendship with Hugh Goddard. Not to mention we are screaming out for an outside, highly skilled goal kicker. So there is a bit of truth to it and a bit of wishful thinking on Saints supporters behalf.

So that is where it stems from, chances are he will love the surf and lifestyle that WA offers him so the flight risk scenario is irrelevant.

The fact that he mentioned he wanted to be a one club player can only be a good sign he will stay. I hope Rossy treats him well.

You are right about all of those things so best case scenario is he will adapt as you say. The thing which makes him a potential flight risk is that he is from a close knit family. His family moved to Brisvegas to be with Mav, and the plan was to move to Vic this year when drafted. Mav is pretty underrated outside of St Kilda, he could even emerge this year as being in our leadership group. Having said that, Lachie is twice the player Mav is.

Saints fans make the connection between Mav, his close knit families wish for them to be together, the Burnie connection with Eli and now the friendship with Hugh Goddard. Not to mention we are screaming out for an outside, highly skilled goal kicker. So there is a bit of truth to it and a bit of wishful thinking on Saints supporters behalf.

So that is where it stems from, chances are he will love the surf and lifestyle that WA offers him so the flight risk scenario is irrelevant.

The fact that he mentioned he wanted to be a one club player can only be a good sign he will stay. I hope Rossy treats him well.

Half the players in the afl have stories like this.

Half the players in the afl have stories like this.
Agree. The connections I've made only tip it a little more in the favour of the 'flight risk category' that your everyday interstater getting picked.

In reality there is very little to worry about.

Just out of interest, and excuse my ignorance, but where would he fit in among Morabito, Hill, Pierce etc (any other outside types on your list?). Hill and Weller on opposite wings actually scares me.

Flight risk??

It reminds me a lot of North supporters over the years being adamant David Swallow would come to North to play with Andrew, still hasn't happened yet. Weller strikes me as being very professional for his age, partly moved to QLD for the "warm weather", gets to play alongside idol Fyfe and other greats in Sandi and Pav and has the chance to press his claim in a strong team, not a basketcase team like STK.

Our retention rate is second to none and there's enough factors supporting him staying for me not to get a stomach ulcer over the thought of him bailing on us two days after we drafted him.

They must be pretty confident in the KPPs coming through that are already on the list, which is a good thing I suppose.

Given our history I don't think the fact we didn't pick any talls indicates we're confident in the talls we already have. Talls are superfluous to our list managers it seems.

At least our midfield won't be floundering over the next 10 years.

Agree. The connections I've made only tip it a little more in the favour of the 'flight risk category' that your everyday interstater getting picked.

In reality there is very little to worry about.

Just out of interest, and excuse my ignorance, but where would he fit in among Morabito, Hill, Pierce etc (any other outside types on your list?). Hill and Weller on opposite wings actually scares me.

I imagine we would use him as a goal kicking mid, rotate him forward early on before moving him to the middle as he develops. He might end up on a wing but he seems to have a bit of grunt with his speed so I doubt we would keep him entirely on the outside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back