NBL vs NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent been to an NBL game since the titans folded, but watched a little on foxtel. when i had access to cable i watched heaps of NBA but. A few questions -

1. NBA and NBL courts are the same size right? If so, why when i watch NBL the court looks smaller (maybe time for new glasses?)

2. 8 seconds to get the ball over half court in NBL. I think its the same in the NBA. Anyways, in the NBL when the player brings the ball up it seems so "panicky". its like theyre worried about losing the ball so lets quickly get it over half court in case. Watching the NBA, the players are calmer when bringing the ball up.

3. there doesnt seem to be much room at the end of the court (ie 3 pt line down). it looks so clustered. in the NBA there seems like theres more room to manouvere and do their thing. Here its like a can of sardines.

I think you'll find the NBA's 3 point line is a lot larger than in the NBL or in the euro leagues.

Zone defence is not allowed in the NBA im unsure of NBL but thats probably why it looks so crammed

Im not sure of the court sizes but i would assume they would be the same and if not very similar.

HighRoller said:
I think you'll find the NBA's 3 point line is a lot larger than in the NBL or in the euro leagues.

Zone defence is not allowed in the NBA im unsure of NBL but thats probably why it looks so crammed

Im not sure of the court sizes but i would assume they would be the same and if not very similar.

1) NBA 3's are bigger than NBL 3's, NBA don't use regular FIBA distances, which are used at international competitions, such as Olympics etc, some say this is one of the reasons why the US struggled at the olympics so bad. (Also notice they haven't adopted the new FIBA ball, with lines on it)

2) Zone is allowed in NBA now, rule change 2 to 3 years ago and is used by quite a lot of teams, see Mavericks, but not so often by better defencive teams like Pistons, Spurs, etc, but will chuck it in there to throw teams off a bit.

DoubleA said:
1) NBA 3's are bigger than NBL 3's, NBA don't use regular FIBA distances, which are used at international competitions, such as Olympics etc, some say this is one of the reasons why the US struggled at the olympics so bad. (Also notice they haven't adopted the new FIBA ball, with lines on it)

2) Zone is allowed in NBA now, rule change 2 to 3 years ago and is used by quite a lot of teams, see Mavericks, but not so often by better defencive teams like Pistons, Spurs, etc, but will chuck it in there to throw teams off a bit.

I thought the defence they used was a variation of a textbook zone defence. I thought they just altered it so it was allowed?

DoubleA said:

I wouldve thought that the NBA players/shoorts would be able to hit 3s easily....well at least ray allen or m redd (neither were picked for the olympics).

what FIBA ball?

peternorth said:
I wouldve thought that the NBA players/shoorts would be able to hit 3s easily....well at least ray allen or m redd (neither were picked for the olympics).

what FIBA ball?

The thing was that it was closer than what they were used to, so you have to change your shorts, and also that Euro players were used to the distance and would naturally find it easier to hit the shot

An example of it is here:
http://www.nbl.com.au/_element/imagegallerypopup.aspx?gid=61&imgid=562

Best photo I could find of it in actions, the striped ball is the ball which is used in International comps and sanctioned by Fiba.

peternorth said:
I havent been to an NBL game since the titans folded, but watched a little on foxtel. when i had access to cable i watched heaps of NBA but. A few questions -

1. NBA and NBL courts are the same size right? If so, why when i watch NBL the court looks smaller (maybe time for new glasses?)

2. 8 seconds to get the ball over half court in NBL. I think its the same in the NBA. Anyways, in the NBL when the player brings the ball up it seems so "panicky". its like theyre worried about losing the ball so lets quickly get it over half court in case. Watching the NBA, the players are calmer when bringing the ball up.

3. there doesnt seem to be much room at the end of the court (ie 3 pt line down). it looks so clustered. in the NBA there seems like theres more room to manouvere and do their thing. Here its like a can of sardines.

Rules: NBA and FIBA

RULE NBA FIBA
Duration of Game Four 12-min. quarters / Four 10-min. quarters
Number of Officials Three / Two
Shot Clock 24 seconds / 24 seconds
Court Length 94' x 50' / 91'10" x 49'2.5"
Size of Lane 16' x 19' / 19'8.2" x 19'0.3
Three-Point FG Arc 23'9" / 20'6.1"
Player Foul Limit Six / Five
Timeouts Allowed Seven per game One in each of the
first three quarters,
two in the fourth,
(one in overtime)
Who Can Request A Timeout Coach or Player / Coach or assistant coach
Allowed to Touch Ball on Cylinder No / Yes

There are some major differences here, specifically the court size, 3point arc & the side of the key (lane). So your eyes are not deceiving you, the NBA court is indeed larger!

i reckon the nbl should go to the same sized court as the NBA. It gives players a bit more room to do what they can. not necessarily change the 3 pt line but.

thepower said:
i reckon the nbl should go to the same sized court as the NBA. It gives players a bit more room to do what they can. not necessarily change the 3 pt line but.

They may have the best players and the most money, doesnt mean we need to change our game to fit theirs.

DoubleA said:
They may have the best players and the most money, doesnt mean we need to change our game to fit theirs.
But it opens up the game allowing the players to do what they want i.e more room in the post and alot more room for plays to be set up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I know I'm digging up a nearly 20 year old thread but wondering how this sits these days.

Yes we all know NBA is better but which is more watchable?

1 think I really hate about NBA is dribbling the last minute or so out instead of playing it our it just seems to go against everything I learnt about sport as a kid e.g always give 100% and try until the end, this doesn't happen in NBL.

Also NBL is on in a better time zone and doesn't stop for adds as much.

As much as I prefer basketball I actually find NHL the most watchable of the American sports as it flows more.

What do others think these days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back