National Draft Pick #58 - Brady Grey

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit that I was disappointed we didn't pick Marsh up but having looked at his highlights and the draft camp results this guy could be another late pick gem. He is a very smooth mover, looks to have a good second effort and is not a bad kick. He finished second in the vertical leap and also both of the running leap off either leg so he should be able to take contested marks. Throw in he only recently concentrated on footy and has never done a pre season then there is a huge upside here.
I know they are highlights, but this kid looks like he has a ton of time and space with footy in hand. We have an affiliation with the club he came from and I think we would know his capabilities very well indeed. I think we have a massive steal on our hands.

First Taswegian to ever have a tan?

Seems he has indigenous heritage.

www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-brady-grey/

I know Brady through cricket. He was a good cricketer and soccer player and obviously good at footy. I know Brady from when I used to umpire him at the Imparja Cup which is the National Indigenous Cricket Tournament held in Alice Springs each year, some of you may have heard of the Imparja Cup. The tournament is run by Cricket Australia.

Anyway he's a nice bloke, down to earth and likes a chat. Seems like a good player. He'll do well at Freo.

Cheers.

Lach72 was actually a rookie pick after everyone passed over him in the draft

I actually don't recall him being drafted?

To be fair that was the same year as I went #1, so if I had wanted to see Lach drafted I would of had to have pressed the red button during my multitude of media committments/interviews.

Seppo went 3 and Ripper/Sabre were Zone selections, Dom from memory was a Father-Daughter selection.

To be fair that was the same year as I went #1, so if I had wanted to see Lach drafted I would of had to have pressed the red button during my multitude of media committments/interviews.

Didn't take long for you to get delisted though did it.

Worst #1 pick since Jack Watts.

Didn't take long for you to get delisted though did it.

Worst #1 pick since Jack Watts.

John Coleman 98 Games

Moo 98 weeks as Freo Mod

Coincidence? There is no such thing as coinicidences - just the truth, cold, chillin with effect.

Most likes of the year - We should all be competing for 'The Moo'

They already found a more fitting use for w***er though.

edit - Damn, it doesn't work anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-11-22/brady-grey-

So apparently our new drafting policy is to draft friends.. which didnt work out so well for Lachie :/

The challenges of moving interstate to pursue their AFL dreams will be made easier for Fremantle’s Tasmanian recruits Alex Pearce and Brady Grey – the pair are good friends.

Both boys are 18, and while they played their junior footy at different teams, Pearce with the Devonport Magpies and Grey at Freo partner club Burnie Dockers, they know each other very well.

“I’ve played football and cricket with and against Brady for as long as I can remember,” Pearce said.

“We’re good mates, we live about 25 minutes away from each other.”

“We’ve known each other, since we were five or six we used to pay soccer together,” Grey added.

“We’ve both comes through the ranks with cricket and football and this year we played state together.

“Alex has become one of my best mates and we are fortunate enough to be one the same list together.”

The Tasmanian recruits both agree each other’s presence will make the transition to Fremantle easier.

“I think moving away is going to be tough, but with Alex there it’s going to make it a lot more easier to settle,” Grey said.

Both were elite cricketers, while Grey also excelled at soccer.

It was only recently that Grey decided football was the way to go.

“I used to play heaps of footy while I was 13 and 14, but then I took a couple of years off to play soccer,” he said.

“At the start of the year I thought I was going to play soccer in Tasmania, then I got the opportunity to play state footy so I gave up soccer and cricket.”

Both players can’t wait to arrive at their new AFL club and hit the ground running in the pre-season.

And their goals for their first year in the system are similar.

Pearce wants to develop and improve.

“It’s not necessarily about getting games in my first year, but I’m really keen to give it a real go in my first two years and hopefully play a game,” he said.

“But firstly I need to work hard and earn some respect from my teammates.”

Grey echoed those thoughts.

“First off, I just want to get used to my new teammates and the training and the coaches,” he said.

“I’ve never done a full pre-season, so that’s my first goal.”

it's like freo have a 'community' factor that gets taken into account with how we recruit - building a close-knit group

So going by recent trends, one of Brady or Alex will probably be delisted after two years while the other one stars for us. Brady = Lachie, Alex Pearce = Alex Forster?

I must admit that I was disappointed we didn't pick Marsh up but having looked at his highlights and the draft camp results this guy could be another late pick gem. He is a very smooth mover, looks to have a good second effort and is not a bad kick. He finished second in the vertical leap and also both of the running leap off either leg so he should be able to take contested marks. Throw in he only recently concentrated on footy and has never done a pre season then there is a huge upside here.

I agree with the above post and would also add that he came from our partner club in Tassie, which means we would almost certainly have some inside info about him that other clubs may not. Watching the clips and seeing him move makes me think he will be another late gem. I was surprised when I first heard the players we had drafted, but on closer inspection I think the 2013 draft could go down as a good draft after all. Obviously wait and see though. At least we didnt draft a group of players who appear to be the opposite of the type of player they need like West Coast. I didnt see one explosive running tall midfield type in the entire group of players they drafted. Weird

I can tell u that almost every club interviewed Johnathon Marsh... except Collingwood. He wasnt picked up because of his lack of athleticism, it was because of his decision making both under pressure and not. it was believed that he wouldnt be able to keep up with the speed of quick mindedness required for Afl football.
The pies took a punt with their last pick.

Great potential given what he's shown with limited preparation. Seems to be a quality person too.

Yeah nice guy, was chatting to him on facebook just then. Really looking forward to heading to Perth. He is looking forward to the warmer weather instead of the cold weather in Tassie.

But honestly, a good pick up for Freo. Wish my team Richmond had of got him - but not too be. Oh well that happens.

Really happy for his family too, I know the feeling of family being involved in AFL. My cousin played for Richmond and Collingwood - was so great to watch him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back