Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

His specific quote was "I'm not going to compare with other clubs because I think it's really unfair to do that in terms of list profiles and where they're at". Then he starts waffling on about how much we've improved this year.

🤦‍♂️
The club was very adamant in previous years that we had examined other clubs rebuilds and there was an unnamed club whose template we were following particularly close.

So yeah, complete opposite of what they are now saying.

The club was very adamant in previous years that we had examined other clubs rebuilds and there was an unnamed club whose template we were following particularly close.

Except Kelly said yesterday we do, they can’t even get their stories straight

They're in full blown self protection mode. Of course they don't want to compare themselves to other clubs. They know they don't stack up well.

The only clubs I can think of that have played extremely defensive football in a rebuild have all sacked their coach

The only clubs I can think of that have played extremely defensive football in a rebuild have all sacked their coach
Melbourne - Roos?

A good article below, sounds a little familiar.

"Some of the stuff today … guys missing chest marks. I haven't seen that before, so it's an eye-opener for me. Some of the errors were just incredible," Roos said."

"He had started a search for a successor and told fans that by round six their defensive game-plan would be identifiable"

"But progress was hard to see. Where others gnashed teeth, Roos stayed outwardly calm."

"In 2016, it has only once fielded a team with more games experience than its opposition."

"Humour mixed with reality has been a feature of Roos' time, his stories famous among assistant coaches who recall many of them ending with the coach on a chair animated in the telling."

"He made young players wait for their chance, keeping Petracca in the VFL even though outside momentum for his selection was building."

Last edited:
Melbourne - Roos?

A good article below, sounds a little familiar.

"Some of the stuff today … guys missing chest marks. I haven't seen that before, so it's an eye-opener for me. Some of the errors were just incredible," Roos said."

"He had started a search for a successor and told fans that by round six their defensive game-plan would be identifiable"

"But progress was hard to see. Where others gnashed teeth, Roos stayed outwardly calm."

"In 2016, it has only once fielded a team with more games experience than its opposition."

"Humour mixed with reality has been a feature of Roos' time, his stories famous among assistant coaches who recall many of them ending with the coach on a chair animated in the telling."

"He made young players wait for their chance, keeping Petracca in the VFL even though outside momentum for his selection was building."

Roos was a premiership coach with a proven track record and Melbourne still felt the need to replace him once his "defensive work" was done

In that instance it was a succession plan but he was still replaced with a different coach to finish (adjust? correct? redo?) the job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos was a premiership coach with a proven track record and Melbourne still felt the need to replace him once his "defensive work" was done

In that instance it was a succession plan but he was still replaced with a different coach to finish (adjust? correct? redo?) the job
They're one of the few clubs who have had a successful rebuild, so I'm happy if we follow that approach rather than the approach of Voss, Leppitsch, Neeld, Hinkley, Noble, Eade.

They're one of the few clubs who have had a successful rebuild, so I'm happy if we follow that approach rather than the approach of Voss, Leppitsch, Neeld, Hinkley, Noble, Eade.

If we wanted to follow that path we needed to hire a proven experienced coach instead of Nicks

If we wanted to follow that path we needed to hire a proven experienced coach instead of Nicks
We should have got David Noble....least he's available now. Or we can make a play for Ken Hinkley, the guys down the road know what they are doing!

Melbourne didn't 'feel the need to replace him', he joined saying he wasn't a long term coach, and would only be around for a few years to transition to a new coach.

As a successful coach, he started the rebuild focusing on defence, he stated it many times. Once that is right, then you add the next phase to it.

Whether we are doing that is another question, but the Melbourne model was clearly stated, and so far has worked. Oh, and having 3x top 4 picks in decent drafts to get mids helps too.

AFL have changed a lot of rules in the 6 years since he was last coach in order to try and promote the offensive side of the game over the Roos defensive style.

So of course Adelaide can't identify a trend and hires a coach obsessed with defense.
He talked up taking advantage of the stand rule, how he wanted to "punish" sides on the turnover and from the contest, but he's making the same mistakes Pyke did. Pressure comes, they get scared and revert to slow ball movement and defensive instincts because they're worried about turning the ball over. It feels like a tell tale sign that a coach has lost confidence in the group to be able to do anything because it becomes a game of minimization rather than taking opportunities.

He hasn't butchered it quite as bad as Pyke did when in early 2019 he had us spending 20 possessions chipping it around our D50, but the constant forrays down the wing aren't massively better.

He hasn't butchered it quite as bad as Pyke did when in early 2019 he had us spending 20 possessions chipping it around our D50, but the constant forrays down the wing aren't massively better.
Yes I've noticed that boundary hugging bullshit lately. It's cringe-worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back