~My Phantom Draft 1st & 2nd Rounds ~

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many people have Schoenmakers going first 2 rounds. I'm inclined to think he may, despite being 2-4cms short of ideal height, sneak a gig in the top 35.

He is an interesting one because from what i've been reading he could be anywhere from 189cm to 195cm. Personally when i saw him play at the carnival he look more 194 than 189. He been listed at 189 and 191 but a few Crows supporter seem to swear black and blue there in no way known he is that height and is more 194/195cm. If the latter is the case i think he is a very very good chance of going 2nd round, maybe even high second round to someone like Port or the Blues.

What he measures at the carnival will be interesting.

Just want to see peoples thoughts on this.

What are the chances of Jack Ziebell going number 1 to Melbourne? I personally don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all, especially if he has a very good game on Friday (hopefully he plays).

He is an interesting one because from what i've been reading he could be anywhere from 189cm to 195cm. Personally when i saw him play at the carnival he look more 194 than 189. He been listed at 189 and 191 but a few Crows supporter seem to swear black and blue there in no way known he is that height and is more 194/195cm. If the latter is the case i think he is a very very good chance of going 2nd round, maybe even high second round to someone like Port or the Blues.

What he measures at the carnival will be interesting.
If Schoenmakers is taller than advertised I reckon he'll shoot up the order. Looks all class to me. On the OP, if we get Banner at 26 with the likes of Lisle left, I will not be happy.

Mitch Brown to Sydney for pick 12 is a steal. Has the potential to be the next Nick Riewoldt. Wouldn't be suprised if Port use there first pick on him.

mitch banners leadership skills don't know where you pulled them from mate, great player terrible leader

Your not the first person to have an issue with that statement I made but like I told the other gentleman I stand by it.

The three mental application tests taken since Mitch has been in the system indicate him to have a high leadership capability. He is a natural leader and although insular in his persona he sets the example and has a presence that always takes the lead approach. Again I understand where your coming from but I stand by my statement that Mitch Banner is a quality individual and a quality leader.

The problem being Walters may not be available.

Plus I don't think Walters is only a small forward, he has the potential to develop further up the ground.
I was going by the mock draft that was posted, and it had Walters going AFTER West Coast's second pick, where he had the Eagles taking Pearce.

Pretty good effort. Thanks mate. :thumbsu:

However, it's a bit too simplistic to assume Adelaide will always pick the SA boys. Best Available everytime.

Your not the first person to have an issue with that statement I made but like I told the other gentleman I stand by it.

The three mental application tests taken since Mitch has been in the system indicate him to have a high leadership capability. He is a natural leader and although insular in his persona he sets the example and has a presence that always takes the lead approach. Again I understand where your coming from but I stand by my statement that Mitch Banner is a quality individual and a quality leader.

How do you know all this stuff?

GReat effort first of all:thumbsu:

I think u make a great point with naitanui, everyone expects him to be the replacement for warnock but if they don't get him he could be a big slider. I think essendon would really need to think alot to get Naitanui(as you said), if they don't get him i could see NickNat going outside top 10. I think Carlton will get hurley and Brisbane, North and Adelaide will get mids. I also believe that Richmond will be inclioned to go Vickery ahead of Naitanui because Richo can't last forever in their forward line and behind him there are no real KPF with real height (Morton, Edwards and Cleve Hughes are too short and Shulz is more of a backman IMO). I think Vickery has more ability as a forward than Naitanui and could still patrol the ruck. Its very intrigueing where Nicknat will go because he is very much a hit and miss player in probably the most crucial position. (FF and FB crucial positions as well)

Where will NickNAt go if Freo and essendon pass?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gd effort but im struggleing with the fact that shoenmakers and cahill arnt there???? any reasons y?

Definitely no reason. Both are good players that may fall even to a late first depending on Draft Camp, just the way this draft panned out, some lucky clubs in the third round will get quality. Like every draft, every year some players for no apparent reason slide far. So no reasoning other than this is the way I saw it unfolding.

Pretty good effort. Thanks mate. :thumbsu:

However, it's a bit too simplistic to assume Adelaide will always pick the SA boys. Best Available everytime.

Believe it or not I didn't plan it that way. I went on Best Available both times. It just so happens that both times to SA boys came up. If Adelaide were to get those two players they would be very, very happy. I took no "go home factor" with any of my draft picks, it was just based on what players were needed at what clubs.

How do you know all this stuff?

Fortunate.

I know people. Now I am not stating I know insiders that reveal all the gossip that goes on, just some information I am able to get by asking. Again I'm in a very fortunate position that's all.

Tigerbob, just wondering you thoughts on James Strauss? Noticed he isn't in your first two rounds, personally i don't see that happening, to much quality for mine. By the way nice job, like others have said, one of the better ones on here.

Tigerbob, just wondering you thoughts on James Strauss? Noticed he isn't in your first two rounds, personally i don't see that happening, to much quality for mine. By the way nice job, like others have said, one of the better ones on here.

Thanks mate.

James is a beauty that I feel at his body size after a pre season can contribute next year for the right team.

He is a very disciplined defender/midfielder with pretty good disposal skills, but what I like about him is his positioning. Either to provide an option running out of the backline or even in his one on one competitive work he shows very good footy nous.

Like I have said I can't fit everyone in two rounds, but for me James is a genuine 2nd or 3rd rounder. Will get drafted.

I also believe that Richmond will be inclioned to go Vickery ahead of Naitanui because Richo can't last forever in their forward line and behind him there are no real KPF with real height (Morton, Edwards and Cleve Hughes are too short and Shulz is more of a backman IMO). I think Vickery has more ability as a forward than Naitanui and could still patrol the ruck.

While everything you say is true, I doubt the deciding factor will be a slightly greater ability in the forward line.

More likely we just haven't done well with recruiting Ruckmen in the past few years and need to go for the 'sure thing' before the hole in the list becomes too wide.

That said, I'm not a big fan of using high picks on ruckmen as I don't think you can get as good a read on them at 17/18 years of age, and would rather take a rookie ruckman or two every year, have a good look at them while they develop and make the decision when they're 19/20/21.

Thanks mate.

James is a beauty that I feel at his body size after a pre season can contribute next year for the right team.

He is a very disciplined defender/midfielder with pretty good disposal skills, but what I like about him is his positioning. Either to provide an option running out of the backline or even in his one on one competitive work he shows very good footy nous.

Like I have said I can't fit everyone in two rounds, but for me James is a genuine 2nd or 3rd rounder. Will get drafted.

True that.

Just surprised he was one of the ones left out. A few of us on the Blues board, including myself see him lucky to still be around at our second pick, thats all. Its good to have some differing opinions, otherwise is gets horribly boring.

good job mate.....mocks are certainly not an easy job...it's a good read..

extremely happy with the richmond picks as well...
vickery and banner.....can't ask for much more...
if we also pick up a good CHF in round 3 that would be brilliant.....got any in mind tigerbob??

I'm in agreeance regarding Natanui. If the Eagles don't pick him up, I would expect him to slide past Freo. They've already highlighted that they're targeting midfielders. With only 1 pick in the top 20, you'd think they would make sure they get one of the best ones.

Despite most clubs insisting, "best available" is not always the way to go. Hawthorn is an example of where drafting to meet your needs can be beneficial. They took this approach from 2004 onwards and it's fair to say that it has worked.

i personalyy would hope Swift fell to wce pick 18 but Geelong would have to be stupid to let it up, he is a risk but so has Joel Selwood. would rather Walters at pick 20 as well, i could see Pearce sliding furthur tbh

True that.

Just surprised he was one of the ones left out. A few of us on the Blues board, including myself see him lucky to still be around at our second pick, thats all. Its good to have some differing opinions, otherwise is gets horribly boring.

The problem for Strauss is that he wasnt able to get into the Vic Metro midfield for the championships, which means he is probably ranked lower than all the midfielders. But the upside is that he is proven to be able to play BP or HPF. Is a supreme athlete as well so a good carnival at full fitness would improve his chances. he did injure his calve 3 weeks ago or so, so still might be not a full fitness. I have him going 35+

The problem for Strauss is that he wasnt able to get into the Vic Metro midfield for the championships, which means he is probably ranked lower than all the midfielders. But the upside is that he is proven to be able to play BP or HPF. Is a supreme athlete as well so a good carnival at full fitness would improve his chances. he did injure his calve 3 weeks ago or so, so still might be not a full fitness. I have him going 35+

I don't think that's an issue at all whether he got in the midfield or not. You've just to look at what he brings to the table and to me many teams will be very keen on his ability either across half back or through the midfield. He's proven he's capable either on the wing or in the centre and has an arsenal that can hold him in good stead for a quality AFL career. Players that can kick with both feet over many distances accurately are worth there wait in gold IMO. Thats why i think players like Strauss, O'Keefe, Broadbent and Ash Smith will surprise a few people with regards to their position.

After watching the Sidebottom show from the lounge room (broken foot otherwise would of loved to be there), he would sit very nicely in the top 10, and Brisbane would be fortunate to get the lad of his quality at Pick 7.

Looking forward to the Draft Camp now.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back