my brilliant media studies assignment...

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerFan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2004
Hobart Rock City
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
the 'other' team
"As a number of theorists are suggesting now… the interest in celebrities may be another symptom of the media’s gradual disarticulation from a model of media practice that foregrounds the dissemination of information, and its increasing alignment with a model that more directly participates in the process of disseminating, interrogating and constructing identities."

(Bonner, Farley, Marshall and Turner. ‘Celebrity and the media.’ Australian Journal of Communication 26 (1) 1999. 69)

*in plain english - "the media is being dumbed down by its obsession with celebrity"*

basically, I have to take that quotation and apply it to a media industry of my choosing - you may have worked out by now that I'm doing the music industry :p

rather than take the 'is the music industry identity-driven?' line, I'm just going to draw an instant conclusion and then focus on why.

what I want to know is, are you aware of any books/articles/websites/whatever that examine the link between television and its role in the 'dumbing down' of the music industry? because this is the line I'm going to take.

I'm basically saying that video killed the radio star :D

seriously though, help/comment would be greatly appreciated.

I now have a clear direction...

the paper is going to be about how MTV accelerated the industry's decline into an identity-obsessed joke full of talentless 'faces'

this is going to be fun :)

TigerFan said:
"As a number of theorists are suggesting now… the interest in celebrities may be another symptom of the media’s gradual disarticulation from a model of media practice that foregrounds the dissemination of information, and its increasing alignment with a model that more directly participates in the process of disseminating, interrogating and constructing identities."

(Bonner, Farley, Marshall and Turner. ‘Celebrity and the media.’ Australian Journal of Communication 26 (1) 1999. 69)

*in plain english - "the media is being dumbed down by its obsession with celebrity"*

basically, I have to take that quotation and apply it to a media industry of my choosing - you may have worked out by now that I'm doing the music industry :p

rather than take the 'is the music industry identity-driven?' line, I'm just going to draw an instant conclusion and then focus on why.

what I want to know is, are you aware of any books/articles/websites/whatever that examine the link between television and its role in the 'dumbing down' of the music industry? because this is the line I'm going to take.

I'm basically saying that video killed the radio star :D

seriously though, help/comment would be greatly appreciated.

Hey dude, Im in that class!!

I was thinking of heading in the television direction and focus on The Simpsons or Family Guy and how they also use celebrities to get ratings.

Best of luck with it all.

TigerFan said:
I now have a clear direction...

the paper is going to be about how MTV accelerated the industry's decline into an identity-obsessed joke full of talentless 'faces'

this is going to be fun :)
You are absolutely right about MTV being pivotal to the demise of the ‘music’ side of the business. It’s been probably the most negative and destructive thing ever to have happened to the industry.

Whatever you do don’t fall into the trap of trying to blame everything on vast industry conspiracies. The populist view is that the record companies totally control the industry. The reality is very different and a hell of a lot more complicated.

Try and incorporate the fact that the internet has not so much killed the music industry but moreso cleansed it's earth of the demonic stranglehold that record companies used to have over artists and their compositions.

You're right on the money with the MT-TV theory though.

- "Video Killed The Radio Star"
This was the first video to air on MTV. The network launched August 1, 1981. This provided the first evidence that MTV was going to make it. The song was a big hit in England in 1979, but pretty much unknown in America. When MTV went on the air, it was on only a few cable systems, but record stores in those areas started selling lots of Buggles records. Since radio stations weren't playing this and almost no one in the US had heard of The Buggles, it was clear that MTV was selling records and was an early indication of the network's influence.

Not only was this the first video aired by MTV, but it was probably the first "music video" music video. Before MTV, most music videos were scenes of the artist or group performiong the song on stage at a concert, with some visual effects added in for flair, or lighting and other special effects for the show. If the song was performed in a film, the video would have been that scene from the film in which the song is performed. This is probably the first video that created a "plot" of sorts around the song, instead of just showing the band performing.

Amazing how a cynical song such as this was 1st played on what is now pretty much a non-music T.V. station. I wonder if history books in todays classrooms cover this bit of triva? I would like to teach a class on the rise and fall of MTV and the genral trend towards non-talented, over paid, attractive individuals who think they can perform music. There are a few that break through the typical mold, but not enough, and not ones who get what they deserve.

weevil said:
I think it’s those sorts of sweeping simplistic slogans that they should avoid.

It's hardly a slogan, Mensa boy!

The populist view is that the record companies totally control the industry. The reality is very different and a hell of a lot more complicated.

The reality is,Weasil,that record companies at one stage did,along with payed-out radio stations.

Any fool can see they have fallen from grace over the last 20 or so years for a number of reasons.

Why dont you give us the scoop as to how it really is,regardless of how complicated you may believe it to be.
LOL.

oxx said:
Try and incorporate the fact that the internet has not so much killed the music industry but moreso cleansed it's earth of the demonic stranglehold that record companies used to have over artists and their compositions.
Trying to figure out how that is a "Sweeping simplistic Slogan" ?

Are you carrying baggage from a previous run-in ?..... or are you trying to imply a greater wisdom ?

IDGAF said:
Trying to figure out how that is a "Sweeping simplistic Slogan" ?

Are you carrying baggage from a previous run-in ?..... or are you trying to imply a greater wisdom ?

As all snotty nosed,bottle fed kids go,I believe it to be the latter.

I did a couple of media units at university. I had to deconstruct a TV show for one of my assignments. I chose Dallas.

But as to books I found Understanding Popular Culture and Reading the Popular by John Fiske quite helpful and interesting:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a music industry book called "Hitmen".
A look at the sometimes sordid inner workings of the music biz.
Cant find it on the web though.
Luckily I have 2 copies.

oxx said:
It's hardly a slogan, Mensa boy!
“cleansed it's earth of the demonic stranglehold that record companies used to have over artists and their compositions”

Yeah brother, you fight the power, go down the mall and buy another Che Guevara (tm) t-shirt. :)

The reality is,Weasil,that record companies at one stage did,along with payed-out radio stations.

Payola doesn’t happen in Australia. Generally grossly exaggerated in the states as well.

Any fool can see they have fallen from grace over the last 20 or so years for a number of reasons.

Why dont you give us the scoop as to how it really is,regardless of how complicated you may believe it to be.
LOL.
If you are going to be aggressive and close minded then why would I bother sharing any of my 20+ years experience in the industry? ...If you want to have a civil conversation on the other hand...

oxx said:
Also a music industry book called "Hitmen".
A look at the sometimes sordid inner workings of the music biz.
Cant find it on the web though.
Luckily I have 2 copies.
Golly gee you bought 2 copies, the author must be extremely happy...It’s almost like there is plenty of money to be made in writing sensationalist, populist books about the music industry.

...I’m not for an instant trying to say the industry is lily white, far from it. But you have to realise that a hell of a lot you hear about it is from people with an agenda. Plenty of those books come from the “Today Tonight” school of journalism. The bigger they can beat a story up the more money they can make out of it.

weevil said:
Golly gee you bought 2 copies, the author must be extremely happy...

Maturity as well as a well thought out reply !

weevil said:
...I’m not for an instant trying to say the industry is lily white, far from it. But you have to realise that a hell of a lot you hear about it is from people with an agenda.

So you have only HEARD ABOUT IT ?

weevil said:
Plenty of those books come from the “Today Tonight” school of journalism. The bigger they can beat a story up the more money they can make out of it.

Yes....so your point is going..where?

It’s almost like there is plenty of money to be made in writing sensationalist, populist books about the music industry.

Almost ?

weevil said:
WTF??? Why did you even bother writing any of that, how pointless.

As I said if you want to have a reasonable discussion about the issues I’m all ears. If you are going to sulk because I said your first post was simplistic then knock yourself out.

Err...actually were laughing at how stupid your post was.

U say u're all ears.

How about contributing something yourself that actually has some substance
instead of your views from a bridge.

weevil said:
All you have done is post juvenile dribble. If you actually have something of substance to say about the issues then here is your chance.

DO you have any expierence in the industry? Or did you just read it all in a book? Put up or shut up sunshine.

Isnt that what i just told you ?

Do you have any experience in the industry ?

Please share.

I'm waiting to learn.

My bet is that you indeed are the one who reads books and forms opinions
rather than experiencing the subject matter.Quite populist really.

I doubt if you've even done anything yet.

I really want to hear something from you that is actually informative.

Do you know anything ?

Gee, singer songwriter in a band for 6 years, toured repeatedly up and down the east coast, played Livid BDO Homebake, etc. Supported trivial little insubstantial bands like Radiohead, You am I, Died Pretty, etc. Signed to one of the most respected independent labels in the country, released multiple critically acclaimed disks. Worked as a music journalist, booked inner-city venues for years. Worked in the A&R department of a major label, managed both major label and indie bands for years. And that is not even scratching the surface...Your right, I obviously have no idea how the industry works...

Now you tell me about your theory about how Australian record companies control radio stations...

Do you know anything?

Raskolnikov said:
Actually both can be used.
You are quite right, sir.

But i came on here once and used the same expression "dribble" and had it oh so shoved down my throat that i was wrong, as petty individuals are prone to do.

For everyone's edification and delight:

dribble
// (say 'dribuhl)
--verb (dribbled; dribbling)
--verb (i) 1. to fall or flow in drops or small quantities; trickle. 2. to drivel; slaver. 3. Soccer, Hockey, etc. to advance a ball by a series of short kicks or pushes. 4. Basketball to move about a court while bouncing a ball.
--verb (t) 5. to let fall in drops. 6. a. Soccer, Hockey, etc. to move (the ball) along by a rapid succession of short kicks, pushes, or hits. b. Basketball to bounce a ball.
--noun 7. a small trickling stream. 8. a drop. 9. a small quantity of anything. 10. Sport the act of dribbling. [frequentative of obsolete drib drip, in some senses influenced by DRIVEL]
--dribbler, noun
--dribbly, adjective

drivel
// (say 'drivuhl)
--verb (drivelled, US driveled; drivelling, US driveling)
--verb (i) 1. to let saliva flow from the mouth or mucus from the nose; slaver. 2. to issue like spittle. 3. to talk childishly or idiotically.
--verb (t) 4. to utter childishly or idiotically. 5. to waste foolishly.
--noun 6. childish, idiotic, or silly talk; twaddle. 7. any display of sentimentality. [Middle English dryvele, drevel(en), Old English dreflian]
--driveller, noun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back