Swanny36

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Collingwood
RUCKMAN Chris Bryan knows all too well he has Collingwood to thank for the fact he still has an AFL career, after the Pies decided to throw him a lifeline when he left Carlton at the end of 2006.
The 25-year-old left the Blues in search of "more security", after the club he was drafted by in 2004 offered him just a one-year deal to stay on at MC Labour Park.
He not only found that security at the Lexus Centre, but he also discovered something much more profound – that he could take his footballing ability and improve it by "leaps and bounds", which ensured his second chance would be justified.
"My personal development with my fitness and how I play has changed dramatically," he told collingwoodfc.com.au.
"It was the best decision to leave [Carlton]. There's just so many coaches here; you always get someone one-on-one, and some different opinions, and you can take a lot from everyone.
"I knew if I had another year like I did in '06, I probably would have been finished by now. Moving was what I had to do, and it's paid off."
The change in surroundings also means Bryan has played for two of the most experienced coaches in the AFL – Mick Malthouse and Denis Pagan.
"Both of them have been coaches for 20 or 30 years, and it's been good playing under them," he said.
"I look back at Denis now and some of the things he did I really respect, with the way he's done it over the past, and there's some similarities between him and Mick that are quite evident."
While Bryan is clearly happier as a Magpie these days, he admits it wasn't always so easy to ride out the transition between the cross-town rivals.
"It was tough early on last year, just trying to fit in and I obviously didn't have a pre-season because I had a knee op, so I wasn't getting on the track with the boys," he said.
"Now, a year and a half on, they've embraced me and I've really embraced Collingwood and how they go about it."
He also credits a move from his childhood home of Keysborough, where he played for Frankston in the VFL for a year, to the northern suburb of Moonee Ponds for creating a sense of stability in his life.
"For the first year at Carlton, I travelled from up there to Carlton every day. It was an hour and a half each way, and three hours a day in the car," he said.
"I didn't think anything of it; I just did it at the time, but then once I moved up to the city, it was just a big lifestyle change and a lot better."
This weekend, Bryan will face West Coast after breaking his way back into the senior side two weeks ago.
The big man has only positive memories of the last time he faced the Eagles, which was during the Pies' thrilling extra-time triumph in the semi-final last year at Subiaco.
Bryan booted a goal in the pivotal extra-time period, and admits the rush that action provided was the biggest he's ever felt in football after gaining a late call-up owing to Josh Fraser's back soreness.
"It was fantastic. I only found out early in that afternoon that I was playing, so I didn't have much time to prepare myself," he said.
"It was just an incredible night.
"The goal I kicked was interesting; it was just one of those kicks where the ball went in and you sort of roll the dice, but you go forward, read it, and it spilled out.
"I just took off and was lucky enough to get the hands. ‘Tarks' [Tarkyn Lockyer] probably could have kicked it himself, but he handed it off and I kicked it myself. It was incredible.
"You often hear about the noise over there, and it was only the Collinwood supporters that were making any noise.
"It was an incredible feeling."
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/tabid/5586/Default.aspx?newsid=60416
does this mean that wood didnt make it back??(the bolded part), seems like Bear Bryan is getting another game...great to hear..well done chris:thumbsu:, keep it up.

I must admit I was not a fan of his until the St.Kilda game, his attack on the ball is at times is dangerous for his own safety, good to see him have a red hot crack at what could be his last chance to prove himeself. Also reckon we can fit Chris, Josh and Woody in the same side which will allow Josh to push foward where I think he plays his best football, would be hard to match up on Fraser, Cloke, Rocca and Medhurst

wood is only resting and i'm sure he will easily come back into the side. but i must say, i love watchin sum1 like the bear throw his body around to win the ball, very committed.

wood is only resting and i'm sure he will easily come back into the side. but i must say, i love watchin sum1 like the bear throw his body around to win the ball, very committed.
I agree, we seem (to a certain degree) to at least have some fat in the rucks this year. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Loving the fact that we have a player like Bryan who can come in and hold a place in the team.

I am happy to have Bryan performing well and hope he continues to attack the ball as he has the last two games.
Hopefully he can feed off the growing confidence to cement his place as a ruck option depending on the opposition's ruck setup.
I think our ruck setup is working much better in general, but a few wins can do that.

Until reading this article, I realised I didnt really appreciate Chris Bryan as a Collingwood player. I hope he sticks around until we've developed a big-bodied 3rd ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back