Move the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

What state was the ground out there yesterday? Was told recently only 3 clubs (Mitta, Tallangatta and KSC) opposed moving it into town.:)

Johnno - Apparently the ground was in pretty good nick... considering no work (apart from mowing the weeds) has been done on it. It is in fact a cow paddock for the other 11 months of the year you know..? No complaints from the players... and that is important.
Your observation about the voting preferences could be right too, but there are still some "passive aggressives" running the place and until they are replaced by decent forward-thinking people - nothing will change. You have to ask yourself why those 3 clubs continue to rule the roost... and why the league is scared to poll its members for a response.
My guess is we will still be discussing this issue in 5 years time... when the league could have had a brand new facility at Barandudah!

Wake up TDFL! The O&KFL Grand Final was an absolute knock-out in Wangaratta last weekend... record crowds... wonderful GF breakfast... and luncheon... and excellent facilities! Meanwhile out in the sticks the TDFL treats their patrons like second-class citizens with what they dish out to football followers. Time for Sandy Thomas to return methinks..?

What a grubby lot they are proving to be up there in the TDFL... under-age drinkers photographed in the local press, the former President implicated and now the CEO claiming he can fix it - next year! The house of cards is falling...

I am a tallangatta league stalwart and even though i love the nostalgia with keeping the Grand final at Sandy Creek i have to look at the situation practically and say that Birralee park would make a perfect venue for the TDFL finlas.
Pros:
Better facilities, by far
More media exposure
More central for all teams

Cons:
Lack of parking

I watched the preliminary final of the O & M there and realised that it would be perfect for the TDFL and would probably upgrade the standard of the finals due to the awesome playing conditions

I am a tallangatta league stalwart and even though i love the nostalgia with keeping the Grand final at Sandy Creek i have to look at the situation practically and say that Birralee park would make a perfect venue for the TDFL finlas.
Pros:
Better facilities, by far
More media exposure
More central for all teams

Cons:
Lack of parking

I watched the preliminary final of the O & M there and realised that it would be perfect for the TDFL and would probably upgrade the standard of the finals due to the awesome playing conditions

Then you must encourage your club to ask the League to at least investigate the possibility of moving the GF. Right now they've got their heads in the sand (or somewhere else) and won't even look into it.

Toey - You will be pleased to hear that the "dog is wagging the tail" in the TDFL again with delegates asking the Executive to investigate conducting the Grand Final in Wodonga as soon as 2010..?! There is still plenty of (misguided) resistence though from those in high places, so it will interesting to see just how genuine their research will be... Watch this space!

Then you must encourage your club to ask the League to at least investigate the possibility of moving the GF. Right now they've got their heads in the sand (or somewhere else) and won't even look into it.
Run Straight - Your loyalty is admirable, but so is your capacity for change. Someone has been watching... at the most recent delegates meeting there was a move to at least investigate conducting the Grand Final in Wodonga. Yes - Birallee Park would make an ideal location. Sandy Creek does NOT comply with OH&S regulations, NOR does it comply with health regulations. An inspection by either of these people on any Finals weekend would see the place closed down and while the League is fiscally fit right now, it does not have that sort of cash available to bring it up to spec! Watch this space...

Run Straight - Your loyalty is admirable, but so is your capacity for change. Someone has been watching... at the most recent delegates meeting there was a move to at least investigate conducting the Grand Final in Wodonga. Yes - Birallee Park would make an ideal location. Sandy Creek does NOT comply with OH&S regulations, NOR does it comply with health regulations. An inspection by either of these people on any Finals weekend would see the place closed down and while the League is fiscally fit right now, it does not have that sort of cash available to bring it up to spec! Watch this space...

MTAG, Maybe you should quit the scaremongering and concentrate on getting your team into a grand final before you complain to much about where it should be played. The ground has been safe enough for the last 45 years so I cant see why it would have changed in the last 2. The League is also in a healthy position so I can't see a reason to risk it just to reduce the travel time of a few new clubs that have no respect for tradition.

That's the sort of "head in the sand" attitude modern administrators come to expect from people with supposedly "the best interest of the game at heart." If you are fearful that it might be a success - just admit it. As it is, having your head in the sand only exposes another part of your anatomy for others to take a shot at... Just in case you hadn't noticed - a lot has changed in 45 years. As for the League being in a "healthy position" - that is a matter for further debate.

That's the sort of "head in the sand" attitude modern administrators come to expect from people with supposedly "the best interest of the game at heart." If you are fearful that it might be a success - just admit it. As it is, having your head in the sand only exposes another part of your anatomy for others to take a shot at... Just in case you hadn't noticed - a lot has changed in 45 years. As for the League being in a "healthy position" - that is a matter for further debate.

It depends on what you class as a success, if youd judge it by croud size and gate takings then I'm sure there would be an increase. If you are basing it on your OH&S argument then I doubt we are likely to see any benefit to the league.

It is people like you with your "money is god" attitude that while trying to save something simply ruin it and then walk away because it was not your problem to start with. Have a look at - Bethanga, was the move into town worth it? Probably not, they would have far more respect had they just folded.
Fitzroy??? That wasn't a merger it was a way to get rid of a club that doesn't generate money.

Moving somehting away from it's heartland may allow something to stay alive but in most cases you are just delaying the ineviatable.

A lot has changed in 45 years but there is one thing that hasn't and it shouldn't change just because greedy pricks like you, who live in wodonga, can't be arsed driving half an hour to play in the sticks.

If the the final/finals are shifted into either raiders or wodonga the league would lose half the gate takings anyway because i know for a fact that those two clubs would sting the league a fortune for the use of the ground so get a life and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the the final/finals are shifted into either raiders or wodonga the league would lose half the gate takings anyway because i know for a fact that those two clubs would sting the league a fortune for the use of the ground so get a life and move on.

Don't say you know things for a fact buddy, when you dont know crap.
This is an emotional subject, and I am still 50/50 and can see the merits of both, but don't come on here with facts that are wrong. Both Raiders & Wodonga have offered the TDFL extremely attractive terms to host the GF. This is fact and was tabled at the TDFL delegates meeting in February.
TDFL keeps the gate takings, bar takings and canteen takings, and both clubs are charging the TDFL a modest rental fee for the ground, to cover power etc, a fee that would be more than made up by increased gate takings. Here's another fact - there has been a substantial dividend paid to clubs from the TDFL's profits in the last few years. This year there is none, because the money has to go to fix Sandy Creek, an arena that the TDFL does not own, and only utilises 4 weekends a year. Not smart business, given that the owners of the ground charge the TDFL a more than substantial sum to rent the ground for the finals. It is prudent of any organisation to investigate all posibilities, and then make good decisions based on solid facts. I am one for tradition, but it is important not to get tradition, and living in the past mixed up or the TDFL might go the way of other traditional Leagues like Coreen & Benalla & Dist. If moving the GF is deemed to be not viable, or not in the best interests of the League, then so be it. I love the country footy finals with cars around the fence.

Well said Run Straight.I think it is very said when we have our big day of the year and our supporters , players and visitors must put up with the conditions such as the canteen(if you have ever worked in there you would know what i am saying) It dose not meet standards.The toilets and change rooms are just as bad. I think we are very lucky that the growth of our league has become bigger then just cars parked around the ground.

Well said Run Straight.I think it is very said when we have our big day of the year and our supporters , players and visitors must put up with the conditions such as the canteen(if you have ever worked in there you would know what i am saying) It dose not meet standards.The toilets and change rooms are just as bad. I think we are very lucky that the growth of our league has become bigger then just cars parked around the ground.

I think everybody is being a little precious. The beer is cold, the pies are warm, the showers have water, the toilets hold piss and s**t and the changerooms has walls and a roof. What more do you want? Corporate boxes, grand fianl breakfasts, hot tubs, wine and cheese platters. Get that silver spoon out of your mouth it's country footy.

I for one love to see cars parked around the ground and I highly doubt that the majority of people would like to see that replaced.

I checked and found there are over 550 people on facebook who would like to see the GF stay where it is. Obviously not everybody is interested in selling out for a better quality canteen that also sells warm pies.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=324122567857&ref=ts

I don't think i'd enjoy the game any less if I did.

Nothing wrong with woolen jumpers either, I still train in one cos it's warmer than the new type.

You sound like one of Barnes' "yes men" and you don't even play these days you big dork.
Move with the times and get the GF into town. At least test it once and for all and see what happens. that way everyone will be satisfied whether it is a good move or not. If it fails, move it back to sandy ccreek

After reading the TDFL thread it looks like this years grand final will again be staged at Sheep s**t Park (sorry Sandy Creek). When will the league powers at be see the bigger picture and at least give it a go for atleast the one season? The league is more than just the old TDFL now that Rutherglen, Beechworth, Chiltern and now Wahgunyah have joined in the last 10 years and now resembles a North Eastern football league which covers a far greater population than the old TDFL covered. Without Albury/Wodonga to provide players and financial support barely a single club in the league would survive so it would seem only logical to bring the Grand Final to the masses.:)

After reading the TDFL thread it looks like this years grand final will again be staged at Sheep s**t Park (sorry Sandy Creek). When will the league powers at be see the bigger picture and at least give it a go for atleast the one season? The league is more than just the old TDFL now that Rutherglen, Beechworth, Chiltern and now Wahgunyah have joined in the last 10 years and now resembles a North Eastern football league which covers a far greater population than the old TDFL covered. Without Albury/Wodonga to provide players and financial support barely a single club in the league would survive so it would seem only logical to bring the Grand Final to the masses.:)

The Grand Final will stay at Bovine Faece Arena as long as the League Executive is dominated by those from the South Eastern corner of the League. Full Stop. If the Tallangatta & District League is no longer an appropriate name, given the expansion of the League in recent times, what do you suggest it be called ? Don't say League Run By Fuddy-Duddy Old Men either, as it will not fit on the woollen Interleague jumpers. (Or the impressive jackets the Exec strut around in)

Just been onto the Border Mail website and it would seem that most fair-minded, clear-thinking supporters of our great game (and the TFL) think the Grand Final should be moved. Those gommels at the TFL surely have to give it a go - like they did at Lavington and Wodonga, some years ago. They invited (and accepted) the new clubs in and knew that things would have to change. Now is the time to stand up and be counted. Who knows - they might make MORE money..?! Good luck to all the teams who made the Finals! And congratulations to the award winners.

I think its fair to say that the comments of our clubs coach in the border mail this week have caused quite a stir. Certainly generated some healthy debate on this issue (that I acknowledge was voted majority against by the respective clubs in this association).

What was somewhat disappointing was that one of the old coots (who obviously passionately believes the grand final and other finals should stay at Sandy Creek) thought he had the right to bail up Mark. He was busy conducting his post game analysis and discussion with the other powers that be at our footy club, and this fool thought he had the right to vent his frustrations because Mark had an opinion that he didnt like. Also there was the Mitta supoorters giving him a serve as he arrived.

People out there must realise that THIS IS JUST AN OPINION. Mark is just as entitled to his opinion as this old clown stuck in 1965 is to his. Ironic thing is, the peolpe this winge is directed at are alomst certainly from a time that prevents them from even knowing how to activate a computer. At the end of the day, Mark was simply asked a qustion which he answered honestly.

Personally, I agree with Mark. I think the GF (at least) should be moved into a more populated area with better facilities for both players and supporters. If Rent to Wodonga Bulldogs or Raiders is the big issue, I heard that the Kiewa-Sandy Creek Footy club receives rent for having the finals at Sandy Creek anyway (but i dont know this, so im quite happy to stick my hand up and own up if this is incorrect). Anyway, that is JUST MY OPINION

Just like Marks comments in thursdays border were his opinion. Alot of people from the Mitta, Kiewa, Tallangatta and surrounding areas have their opinion as they are entitled to

And for the record, I actually think the playing surface itself at Sandy Creek is quite good. Its just the other facilities that could do with some work (particuarly the toilets) Also, Mobile phone reception would be good :D.

There is a good case to have the league's (and it is a very good country footy league) showpiece event at facilities befitting the event and occaision

I think its fair to say that the comments of our clubs coach in the border mail this week have caused quite a stir. Certainly generated some healthy debate on this issue (that I acknowledge was voted majority against by the respective clubs in this association).

What was somewhat disappointing was that one of the old coots (who obviously passionately believes the grand final and other finals should stay at Sandy Creek) thought he had the right to bail up Mark. He was busy conducting his post game analysis and discussion with the other powers that be at our footy club, and this fool thought he had the right to vent his frustrations because Mark had an opinion that he didnt like. Also there was the Mitta supoorters giving him a serve as he arrived.

People out there must realise that THIS IS JUST AN OPINION. Mark is just as entitled to his opinion as this old clown stuck in 1965 is to his. Ironic thing is, the peolpe this winge is directed at are alomst certainly from a time that prevents them from even knowing how to activate a computer. At the end of the day, Mark was simply asked a qustion which he answered honestly.

Personally, I agree with Mark. I think the GF (at least) should be moved into a more populated area with better facilities for both players and supporters. If Rent to Wodonga Bulldogs or Raiders is the big issue, I heard that the Kiewa-Sandy Creek Footy club receives rent for having the finals at Sandy Creek anyway (but i dont know this, so im quite happy to stick my hand up and own up if this is incorrect). Anyway, that is JUST MY OPINION

Just like Marks comments in thursdays border were his opinion. Alot of people from the Mitta, Kiewa, Tallangatta and surrounding areas have their opinion as they are entitled to

That was the father of the current League President, and you are correct, it was disappointing. Kiewa don't receive rent, the Sandy Creek Reserve Trust does, and it amounts to 5% of the gate takings for each final. They must giggle in their Weet-Bix every morning to have a League dumb enough to spend huge amounts of money on improvements at the ground ($300,000 over 30 years from the mouth of a former League President in the Border last week) and still pay rent also ! That doesn't surprise me though, as there are non-declared conflicts of interest permeated through the involved organisations. Clubs have received a divident of $2000 from the League over the last few years, but there was none this year, as it needed to spend $24,000 upgrading the toilets. I was there on the weekend but can't see the $24K. I went to the toilet and was peeing in a concrete trough with blue sky overhead and a peg on my nose. Also, the tiny little spectator shed on the northern end of the ground was $30,000, a couple of years ago. Of TDFL money.
If all the new clubs aren't entitled to their opinion, or a vote on how the League is run, how long do you have to be in the League before you are entitled to have your say ?? 5 years ?? 10 years?? 40 years ??? We best let any clubs that are thinking of entering the League how long it is before they come in. And that you need to just do what Mitta & Kiewa & Tallangatta want or they will abuse you and not buy raffle tickets or food when you cater a final. :thumbsdown: And before you get stuck into me with your emotion-fuelled tradition-inspired, factless, nonsensical argument, some of the above is my opinion which I am entitled to. Most of it is fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back