Move the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok move this years grandfinal to Wodonga. Where are you going to play the other finals. How about the Elim at Mt Beauty, Qual at Rutherglen, 1st Semi at Mitta, 2nd semi at Chiltern and play the prilim at Thurgoona just to get Albury/Wodonga use to the TDFL finals being played in here.

Hey Dell, can't see why not all finals could be played @ the Kennel!!!!:D
(ya dipstick):rolleyes:

can you imagine that DELL! Thurgoona holding a final! i can picture it! the shelter packed to the brim (with 20 people) the rest in their cars somewhere near the Kinross cos' ya cant get near the ground, multiple clubs using the same change rooms game after game. Thurgoona is a "mini-me" of Sandy Creek. might as well have a final at Bethanga as well.

can you imagine that DELL! Thurgoona holding a final! i can picture it! the shelter packed to the brim (with 20 people) the rest in their cars somewhere near the Kinross cos' ya cant get near the ground, multiple clubs using the same change rooms game after game. Thurgoona is a "mini-me" of Sandy Creek. might as well have a final at Bethanga as well.

that's right go out to bethanga it's no different to sandy creek sitting idle all year waiting for a game??? as for the kennell maybe in a few years when they extend to ground and rooms....or is that a rumor only tc would know about?????

Can see alot of reasons why you would not a final at Thurgoona. A lot of people on here are all talk about moving the grand final to Wodonga but not one has come up with what they are going to do about all the other finals. What play them all in Wodonga? Think of the cost. Why don't you smart people come up with something. I am all for leaving them at Sandy Creek and fixing things up.

Can see alot of reasons why you would not a final at Thurgoona. A lot of people on here are all talk about moving the grand final to Wodonga but not one has come up with what they are going to do about all the other finals. What play them all in Wodonga? Think of the cost. Why don't you smart people come up with something. I am all for leaving them at Sandy Creek and fixing things up.

If I can buy into the argument I would say that the conditions at Sandy Creek are sub-standard. They are a disgrace. I started playing footy for a local club in the 80's. I left the area in the 90's and came back in the early 00's before playing in the O&M for 4 years. Nothing has changed at that ground at all. The last finals game I played there was against DMB and the ground was a disgrace. I was running around on a wing that had mounds of dirt running through it because of the drainage that was put in in the lead up to the finals series. We warmed up out the back dodging the cow sh1t and the potholes because the rooms are too small. If it has not rained in a while, the ground is like a rock but as soon as it rains the ground and the surrounding areas become a marsh land. I understand the sentiment behind the place, heck I am a country lad at heart. Lets be honest the ground and the facilities are a disgrace and something should be done. You can spend money trying to get it up to standard or you can move the finals series. Either way something should be done about the place. It has been a while since I have been to a TDFL game and it will be a while before I attend one again. The last time I went I had the same problem that I always have. You can't see the damn game.
Moving the finals wouldn't stop Mitta being the league force:rolleyes:.

I just went to the Kyabram League grand final on the weekend, they moved their GF to the Mooroopna ground, which is in the GVFL, where there are better facilities and Grand Stands etc. and it was a huge success.
The Kyabram league is similar to the TDFL and I think moving our GF to a O&M ground would have the same impact, but there is a down side that would need to be sorted out. That is where does the money go? From all reports the majority of the money from the KDFL GF went to the Mooroopna FC, if this was the case in the TDFL it would be a pointless excercise.
If we could get the deal right with the O&M club then this would be the only reason to move the GF.

Would be a huge loss to the team operating the bar at the GF if it was to move into Wodonga. 3/4 of the people drinking at the game were underage. Wodonga cops would ruin the atmosphere of 15 year old girls spewing behind the scoreboard

Was talking to a couple of mates after yesterday's Grand Final and they reckon the condition of the ground during the finals was very ordinary. The grass was long and very clumpy and could've been quite dangerous to players. I wasn't at any of the games but if its true the league has to do something about it otherwise moving the g/f might be a better alternative:confused::confused::confused:

I would suggest the TDFL talks to the O&K they have found it to be a great success.

that's a disgrace to say look at the o&k- that league was at the point of folding- and still is- the word was a merger between the o&k and benalla league- benalla league came back to the meeting and said the would take the o&k over, but no merger. benalla league is about the same level as upper murray- so you work it out

if you move it???? where- martin park- worst ground to watch footy at
biralle- where ya gonna park?? have a look at the amount of cars that can get into sandy creek? where are the cars gonna go??

the state of the ground...both teams have to play on sandy creek, even playing field- stop ya winging all of ya's

been at sandy creek for years- why change it?

Was talking to a couple of mates after yesterday's Grand Final and they reckon the condition of the ground during the finals was very ordinary. The grass was long and very clumpy and could've been quite dangerous to players. I wasn't at any of the games but if its true the league has to do something about it otherwise moving the g/f might be a better alternative:confused::confused::confused:

Geez there are some whinging bastards around these days. Football is a sport for men. Tough men. If your mates are worried about a few clumps of long grass, the netball court is just over the back.

Sandy Creek is an awesome ground to watch footy at. Used to love knowing we were playing there come finals time. Haven't been back, and it would be a shame if the state of the rooms hasn't changed, but that is up to the league to sort out. Losing Sandy Creek as the finals venue would be a real shame.

The only problem with moving it to other grounds, as we do in the Heathcote league, is that some teams have better grounds, and they end up hosting all of the Grand Finals and a majority of finals. My club held the GF this year for the first time ever. The 3 dominant clubs had held it between them for the past 20 years.

So, you could end up having GFs continually at Mitta or Tangam!!

From memory, and this was 15 years ago, the best grounds were Mitta, Mount Beauty and Tallangatta. Dunno about now with all the new teams.

For what its worth in the Sunraysia Football League (Mildura area) the league runs the final series. (and do all the work)They run the booth. All the other stuff pies , soft drink etc are tendered out to all the clubs. This results in much lower costs to all the clubs throughout the year.
The cops keep a pretty close eye on alcohol consumption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me how was the state of the ground/facilities was at the finals last weekend?

I dont think the conditions or facilities at Sandy Creek are as bad as some people say (most grounds are having trouble with the weather being the way it has been for the past couple of years).

But I think a move to Wodonga would be better (either Martin Park or Birra). In addition to providing O & M facilities, it is probably much more convenient for most clubs personell anyway - as most recruit from that area. Even Rutherglen and Wahgunyah would find it half an hour closer.

Anybody who uses tradition as an excuse for not moving the big one may be standing in the way of logical progress

I'm sure that is the TDFL got off the buts and stopped wasting money on Sandy creek, they would soon see it more beneficial to all, if it was held at Birrallee ground. Lets face it the Sandy creek is not central to the competition any more, most players come out of Albury/Wodonga Region. More spectators would be able to make to the game, Not drive for miles to get to game. If the TDFL wants the League to become stronger it needs to come up with some plans for the future, because the Hume league sure seems to do a better job at attracting media coverage, compared to TDFL. Sandy Creek facilities are old, outdated and will cost the league thousands to update or maintain in the future.

It could easily be rented from Raiders F.C. at the right price & conditions are met... and clubs could still run canteen, tinny bar, rafles etc, same as Wodonga Saints do at Martin Park and as is done at sandy creek... The only extra beneifit is that the party could continue on for longer at Raiders due to there current function room, which if negotiated properly and organised correctly, profits from that may also be raised to go to the league, don't get me wrong, I dont speak for raiders at all!!! But this would be like an extra sponsor to them, and would be mad not to support or attempt to attract such an event at there ground!!!
Lets face it, Birrallee would be neutral to all clubs, as opposed to Martin Park(saints).
:thumbsu:More likely to get more media coverage and rais ethe league profile if its held in town!
:thumbsu:Better rooms and facilities at Birrallee Park, plenty of parking next to ground, which may not be needed because its in town less people driving/drink driving...
:thumbsu:More area to stand/sit around ground and actually see the game, not walking around to find a seat close to ground or someone you know to sit with because all the car are parked right around the ground...etc...
:thumbsu:Better standard of surface, one thats looked after all year.
:thumbsu:Better Boxes for coaching and alike.

Could someone post the real beneifits to keeping the Finals at Sandy Creek... I realise the the League pays no money for renting Sandy creek(i guess), however the increase in number of spectators would easily out do the rental costs for a few weekends rent at Birrallee...

can't believe people would consider moving the TDFL granny. Whilst yes the facilities are better in town etc, sandy creek is great because of its lack of use and position out of town, after all this is a regional league.
Moving the GF into martin park would make the day loose some of it's history, the place has a special auora to it, especially to thos who grew up playing in the leauge through junoirs etc, as its the place you always worked towards playing at in august/september.
Parking the utes around the fence and the big country day out feel is part of the fantastic charm of the place.
I agree the facilities need a little work, as does the surface some years, but that is due largely to the drought conditions experienced in recent years.
The only advantage i can see of moving the game into wodonga is taking a bit of advantage away from mitta:thumbsdown: who are the next town up the valley.

Here's a better idea why don't Tallangatta go back to being the magpies now that bullioh exist? would mean more to the locals, like me if we played in the black and white, if nothing else then to stick it up bullioh

You poor, sad souls. Playing football at Sandy Creek has nothing to do with genuine "tougness" as many of you are keen to point out... nor has it anything to do with the "new teams" abiding by some unwritten, archiac rules that suggest their opinions do not count... nor has it anything to do with so-called "tradition"... nor the beautiful scenery... it has to do with progress. If YOU continue to sit in the middle of the road long enough YOU know what will happen - but don't blame anyone else.
Sandy Creek is sub-standard by most modern measures; does not comply with modern OH&S standards; does not cater for big crowds (when they come); has a playing surface that is inappropriate for the modern game and catering clubs lose far too much income from food/grog smugglers.
"Centralising" the Finals Series may not answer ALL of the questions, but it is better trying to answer questions... rather than ignoring them. Time to get a new executive and get some REAL (courageous) talent onboard to make some hard decisions.

You poor, sad souls. Playing football at Sandy Creek has nothing to do with genuine "tougness" as many of you are keen to point out... nor has it anything to do with the "new teams" abiding by some unwritten, archiac rules that suggest their opinions do not count... nor has it anything to do with so-called "tradition"... nor the beautiful scenery... it has to do with progress. If YOU continue to sit in the middle of the road long enough YOU know what will happen - but don't blame anyone else.
Sandy Creek is sub-standard by most modern measures; does not comply with modern OH&S standards; does not cater for big crowds (when they come); has a playing surface that is inappropriate for the modern game and catering clubs lose far too much income from food/grog smugglers.
"Centralising" the Finals Series may not answer ALL of the questions, but it is better trying to answer questions... rather than ignoring them. Time to get a new executive and get some REAL (courageous) talent onboard to make some hard decisions.

Great post!

the only reason i can see for having the grand final stay at sandy creek over birra is that its easy to bring alcohol into.

Stop Press

News out of the O&KFL is that the "centralised Grand Final" is not producing the financial results they are looking for and now it might be "line ball" to returning the event to the Tarrawingee Recreation Reserve - IF you base success purely on financial gain! Seems the initial love affair with the concept has quickly become yesterday's news and if they are not careful, they could be "headed home!" Watch this space...

Listen fellas... don't expect the "common sense" argument to work with those blokes governing the TDFL - there is no such thing as COMMON sense amongst that lot. They don't even refer club citings through the correct (independent) process... preferring instead to kep it "in house" and avoid scrutiny! The place is a joke!

You can move the Grand Final all you like... it won't help those jokes (sorry - jokers) get the results onto the VCFL website any quicker! How hard is it to get these important results up before you leave the Shire (read Sandy Creek)..? Lift your game TDFL - everyone else is!

Those boys at the TDFL have short memories! Sandy Thomas moved the BIG game to Lavington and Wodonga during his reign - with outstanding success! No courage in this new lot... too much influence from one little team not competing in the Finals. Time for some MEN to take over!

The facilities at Sandy Creek stink... well the cow pats do anyway! The toilets are a disgrace - thank goodness there are no more health inspectors... and as for the change rooms... we all wish they would! It;s got nothing to do with "men" - just common sense!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back