Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine facing 103mph fastballs. The Yankees were blown away by A's closer RHP Mason Miller this morning as he recorded three strikeouts to retire Volpe, Soto and Judge in order to save a 2-0 win for the A's.

I watched the end of the game, it was the free game of the day on MTB.tv. My first thought when I saw Mason Miller was that I wished the Cubs had someone like him. Damn.

He's actually a homegrown story. The A's drafted Miller in the third round of the 2021 draft. He started the 2023 season in Double-A, where he started one game before being promoted to Triple-A. After making one start in Triple-A, the A's called him up in April last year. But we had to shut him down in May last year when he reported elbow tightness in his pitching arm. He was put on the 60-day IL in June. We're using him as a reliever to limit the number of pitches he has to throw, but I suspect that, long term, he'll be moved back into the starting rotation (and presumably we'll ask him to throw less hard than when he's going for an inning).

Nice article from Baseball Australia on the Australian players at various stages in the USA.

PlayerPositionCurrent teamMLB team
Clayton CampbellC-IFLakeland Flying Tigers (Single-A)Detroit Tigers
Josh GessnerRHPHickory Crawdads (High-A)Texas Rangers
Solomon MaguireOFBradenton Marauders (Single-A)Pittsburgh Pirates
Adam BatesRHPDSL Red Sox Red (Dominican Republic)Boston Red Sox
Lachlan WellsLHPReading Fightin' Phils (Double-A)Philadelphia Phillies
Brandan BidoisRHPGreensboro Grasshoppers (High-A)Pittsburgh Pirates
Jackson GroundsRHP60-day ILPittsburgh Pirates
Callum WallaceRHPRancho Cucamonga Quakes (Single-A)Los Angeles Dodgers
Kai-Noa WynyardRHPDown East Wood Ducks (Single-A)Texas Rangers
Rubens RomeroRHPDSL Pirates Black (Dominican Republic)Pittsburgh Pirates
Juan Manuel RamirezRHPDSL Blue Jays (Dominican Republic)Toronto Blue Jays
Curtis Mead2BN/ATampa Bay Rays
Jach O'LoughlinLHPLas Vegas Aviators (Triple-A)Oakland Athletics
Drew DaviesOFACL Reds (Arizona Complex League)Cincinnati Reds
Jack BushellRHPDSL Tigers 1 (Dominical Republic)Detroit Tigers
Jarryd DaleIFSan Antonio Missions (Double-A)San Diego Padres
Darcy LongstaffRHPACL Reds (Arizona Complex League)Cincinnati Reds
Nikau Pouaka-GregoIFClearwater Threshers (Single-A)Philadelphia Phillies
Blake TownsendLHPEverett Aqua Sox (High-A)Seattle Mariners
Jarrod Belbin1BDevelopment List for the Seattle MarinersSeattle Mariners
Declan SpeirsCDSL Phillies White (Dominican Republic)Philadelphia Phillies
Jayden KimSSN/APittsburgh Pirates*
Bjay CookeSSStockton Ports (Single-A)Oakland Athletics
Liam HendriksRHPN/ABoston Red Sox
Mitch NeunbornRHPReading Fightin' Phills (Double A)Philadelphia Phillies

* Kim was signed by the Pirates in December 2023 to a minor league contract, but he has not been assigned to a minor league team at this stage.

In addition to the players listed above, there are a number of Australian players who either play in the independent leagues or in Mexico. Rixon Wingrove was part of the Phillies' organisation but was released at the end of Spring Training. He has signed with the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League. Aaron Whitefield (formerly with the Los Angeles Angels) has signed with the Sioux Falls Canaries in the American Association. Briley Knight (an outfielder) has signed with the Washington Wildthings in the Frontier League. Billy Parsons, a pitcher, has returned to Sussex County Miners for 2024 after being named an All-Star in 2023. Lewis Thorpe has made three starts for the Toros de Tijuana in the Mexican League. Robbie Glendinning hit homers in back to back games for his new Mexican team, Bravos de Leon.

Was always going to be a tougher season in Queens but some of the offensive s**t I've seen this season...

Lindor is my main one in the firing line.

It was a great pitching performance by Imanaga. 5-0 start to his Cubs career.

The play right at the end. Wow, talk about fine margins.

We've just been so poor.

Yeah crazy finish. So flipping close.

You know how I was telling you the other day about MLB.TV and the costs? Well today was my yearly charge after the trial and it came to $165 USD (I was expecting $150 USD as shown on the website). Emailed them but expecting it’s an International surcharge so that seems to be the real price.

You know how I was telling you the other day about MLB.TV and the costs? Well today was my yearly charge after the trial and it came to $165 USD (I was expecting $150 USD as shown on the website). Emailed them but expecting it’s an International surcharge so that seems to be the real price.
What did that end up being AUD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back