MLB 2014 opening at SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

why aren't they on?

it's not rained for a half hour. i live about 8km from the ground, uncle lives about 500 metres from the ground and he said the same about 7.15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm back from Sydney, went to the game last night, great atmosphere, weather held off thankfully (heard the ground crew say the storm front that was on target for the ground just disappeared). Rocked my A's hat and tshirt. Great to see fans attending in other team colours.
My first time to the SCG beautiful looking stadium and the baseball field was really impressive.
Game had a bit of everything, great pitching, a home run (wind was blowing from the outfield towards home plate) and missed plays in the outfield.
Had the worst seat possible and I ordered my tickets the moment they became available. Behind left field foul pole, the wall of the outfield wall blocked all of the view of the batter and the foul pole blocked my view of 1st base. We moved to stand and watch the game after the 1st inning, two foul balls came in my direction just near the big screen, both time same guy got both balls.

So I'm back from Sydney, went to the game last night, great atmosphere, weather held off thankfully (heard the ground crew say the storm front that was on target for the ground just disappeared). Rocked my A's hat and tshirt. Great to see fans attending in other team colours.
My first time to the SCG beautiful looking stadium and the baseball field was really impressive.
Game had a bit of everything, great pitching, a home run (wind was blowing from the outfield towards home plate) and missed plays in the outfield.
Had the worst seat possible and I ordered my tickets the moment they became available. Behind left field foul pole, the wall of the outfield wall blocked all of the view of the batter and the foul pole blocked my view of 1st base. We moved to stand and watch the game after the 1st inning, two foul balls came in my direction just near the big screen, both time same guy got both balls.

That greedy prick

That was a good weekend - I went to the Thursday game and both weekend games. As much as it cost, it was a great experience and this weekend will be a letdown I must say.

A few points:
- I thought the SCG turned out pretty well. Although that that point about the poles in the left field was spot on - I was surprised they didn't deem some of those seats obstructed view. Oh well
- The SCG got it right with some of the organ music, the 7th innings stretch, the anthem and the announcer from the Dbacks during the game. I thought they would try to 'Australian-ise' everything, which they didn't thankfully
- There were jerseys, shirts, caps from just about every team: I think I only saw the Astros as they only team not seen over the two days.
- I watched the replay on GEM - I was thankful they used the US feed and the US commentators. They could have done without Chappell but they really needed at least one Aussie so they could have done worse.
- The crowd was generally pretty good although a lot didn't observe ettitqutte and insisted on getting up during play. Just wait until the end of the innings!
- The only negative was the SCG food and merchandise. They were poorly organised from the start. The US food was only limited to about 1/4 of the ground - where the expensive seats were only. They were running out of food before the first ball - even in the practice games where the crowd was low, they were running out of food. Lines for any food outlet were a mile long. A lot of food wasn't ready either and too long to serve. It was embarassing I must say - and happened all weekend. If you wanted a beer there was no issue but if you wanted food, you missed parts of the game because the average wait was 30-45 minutes. By the way, no one went to that game wanting a meat pie - you can get that anytime, so why make it available in huge numbers when most people wanted the US food.
- Merchandise lines were long and lots of things were selling out. Given the popularlity of the event and how quickly everything sold, it would be nice if more merchandise was available here all the time. There is a market, and it would have only grown since the game.

Went to all 3 D'Backs games, it was nice the offense showed up in the 27th inning!

First game took advantage of the cheap seats to sit behind home plate. Excellent spot 15 rows back and able to see right over the umps shoulder to lefties. The Aussies were super impressive!

Saturday night, sat in the concourse, 3rd base line. An awesome place to get an idea of pitch speed and drop. Seeing Kershaw pitch live is something else. Can only recall Miggy Montero getting bat on any of his off speed stuff

Sunday matinee was seated top tier, directly behind home plate again. I'd near say this was my preferred spot, although a level down would be perfect. You get the entire spectrum. Was stoked to see Josh Collmentor pitch, although his outing was subpar. The game lasted 4hr 1 min and you could sense restlessness in the crowd, including my Mrs. Me? I was keen for a 6-run ninth and many extra innings :D

Only negatives were merchandise. I was keen for a much wider selection of player jerseys, but I only saw 4 D'Backs players. I also wanted one of those nacho helmets, but they were all gone by Sunday...

Up high and behind home plate sounds good. Always find a bit of elevation helps give you an appreciation of what is going on, be it cricket or baseball. I sat behind home plate at Wrigley, about 15 rows back, which was pretty good. Although tbh Wrigley bleachers in a day game was better than Wrigley behind home plate for a night game.

Glad the weekend went well though, SCG looked brilliant as ever

What a brilliant weekend and awesome game. I went to the Saturday night game.

The SCG looked a treat for the game - especially the outfield fence, it just looked like a MLB park.

Initially I was pretty concerned about the weather especially when they left the covers on for so long. I had seats in the bottom deck of the old Ladies Stand and was pretty annoyed to find a grandstand pole right in front of the big new score board - just like Fenway and Wrigley field! However we had a tv with the ESPN feed of the game right in front of us which was much better than the scoreboard as it showed a lot more replays and had the speed of each pitch. So we had the live view side on and the tv showing behind the pitcher - best of both worlds! The only bad thing about the tv was Ian Chappell's head appearing every 5mins, as you couldn't hear the tv, everyone around us was imitating him and saying "he's just telling the yanks how good he used to be"...

As for the food & drink, the Ladies Stand bar line ups were non existent I was in and out in 2 mins each time. The merchandise stall was another story, waited 45 mins to get a Dodgers souvenir cap outside the ground. Although a mate waited over an hour inside the ground to get his cap. It was great seeing so much MLB gear in oz from all different teams. There were yanks everywhere in Sydney all weekend - heard there were heaps that flew over for the games.

And the Dodgers won to cap it off!!!

They estimated 10,000 people from the US travelled for the series so that is pretty impressive!

I got one of the nacho helmets on Thursday - I knew they would all be gone by the Saturday and I was right. I was only ever going to get one - and I only hate half of the contents. It was actually really nice but filling! It was worth it for the helmet alone. I can't believe they didn't think it would be popular - the number of food items and merchandise that ran out even before the second game started was embarassing.

The rain was a worry because of the radar - I saw the dark clouds before the sun went down so checked the radar on the phone so no wonder they kept them down so long. Luckily it lost steam and moved north as it was heading right for the ground. Given the rain we had in Sydney yesterday and generally March is a month for rain in SYD, we were very lucky with the weather. Even on the Sunday the temperature was perfect.

I was actually surprised they had player shirts at all - clearly they knew any merchandise was popular but running out of things was a big missed opportunity. I think part of the problem with the merchandise wait is people paying for everything with credit rather than cash - cash is generally so much quicker, plus people deciding on sizes. The promoters only had a few items for sale before the game on thier site - they could have easily sold a lot of the team stuff online so people didn't have to wait for it.

They estimated 10,000 people from the US travelled for the series so that is pretty impressive
If that is true, then I agree very impressive and well worth the effort and cost of hosting the series.

From my personal experience, I have never met an American who has not enjoyed their trip down under. (yes double negative...)

If that is true, then I agree very impressive and well worth the effort and cost of hosting the series.

From my personal experience, I have never met an American who has not enjoyed their trip down under. (yes double negative...)

It's kind of a mutual admiration society. I play footy with some Aussies who are in their "20th year of their 5-year experiment of living over here. If I were younger, I'd give thought to going over to your side for more than just a visit. Been there once....I love all the similarities....and subtle differences. Can't wait to go again....but this time during footy season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back