Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:
So I'm hearing that the Eddie McGuire press-conference was a huge hit, everyone loved it and questions about Collingwood and a culture of systemic racism have been resolved?
So obviously this report was the big reasoning behind dick - Ed finally “resigning” aka reckon Gil and co gave him the ultimatum

Thank god, one less outspoken VFL dinosaur the comp has to deal with.

likewise down at lathlain a less than favourable situation has seen glass suddenly depart.

And yes it gets mentioned round here a bit but note the media’s gentle reporting of glasses sudden departure with basically no suspicious overtures just reeks of more collusion between WC and wa media

Last edited:
One of my observations in relation to the “phobia” about gays ( they is normal people too ). With the girls playing footy, no one blinks an eye when they talk about their girlfriend. With the boy footy players, it is a taboo area.

Says to me that the woman are more comfortable about telling it as it is. The males “macho” mask is stopping the males to be honest.

The male’s machoness is Neanderthal at times.

Just my Monday rant.

I think it’s more that football has traditionally been a male sport. I doubt anyone would batter an eye if a male netballer spoke about their boyfriend.

Takes away the choice of what a person chooses to share publicly about their personal life.
There are a lot of things that take away choice.
One of my observations in relation to the “phobia” about gays ( they is normal people too ). With the girls playing footy, no one blinks an eye when they talk about their girlfriend. With the boy footy players, it is a taboo area.

Says to me that the woman are more comfortable about telling it as it is. The males “macho” mask is stopping the males to be honest.

The male’s machoness is Neanderthal at times.

Just my Monday rant.
If there was no 'macho' then there would be no male. Oh wait but we are all the same right? No.

In the same alternate reality where Morabito is still playing AFL alongside Fyfe, The Dorf never got injured and has been a mainstay in all 3 international cricket sides the last decade =(
there’s an alternate reality where NCN, Dorff and Paris play tests together, 3 superb talents

Shame for young Hardie he didn't get a 4th wicket there. And Jhye's gone a bit off the boil the last couple of games too I feel. Need him at his best on Saturday if Scorchers are going to take this out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A classic example of things never being as bad as they seem and never being as good as they seem.......or some such according to a former coach at our club.
I read an article (can’t remember where, so can’t link), about some sportsperson (footy player I think - memory is sketchy at best, but definitely remember this), that they said that they try and live by the saying by Hawthorn SuperCoach, Alistair Clarkson, who once said - things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem.

Clarkson. Pfft. 🙄

I read an article (can’t remember where, so can’t link), about some sportsperson (footy player I think - memory is sketchy at best, but definitely remember this), that they said that they try and live by the saying by Hawthorn SuperCoach, Alistair Clarkson, who once said - things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem.

Clarkson. Pfft. 🙄
This is alarming. Without that elusive premiership Ross’ famous Rossisms will be his lasting legacy.

It’s funny how the telling of history always seems to be skewed to glorify the winners. Poor Rossy. One of the best coaches of his time and unless you believe coaches are responsible for poor kicking for goal he’s damn unlucky he hasn’t got at least one flag.

Ross probably adapted his saying from olden-days American football coach Lou Holtz who is credited with coining “You’re never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you’re never as bad as they say when you lose.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back