Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:

So bummed the Scorchers let Phillipe go. He'd be so exciting to have as a rising local star, but it's hard watching him do it against us.

Don’t know if this is categorised as a sport, but big rumour going around alleging Glass and Hurn were caught in a compromising situation.
It would be great for the competition if it’s true. The problem is they’d be raked through the mud and crucified by the media / social media if it turned from a rumour to a non-rumour. If the alleged rumour is found to be true, I feel for them. People think we’ve come a long way with regards to homophobia, and while it’s mostly true, we all know that homophobia in men’s sport is still rife. Imagine how bad it would be especially, if a player were to be ‘sprung’ and not to come out of his own volition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know if this is categorised as a sport, but big rumour going around alleging Glass and Hurn were caught in a compromising situation.

yes, I heard the same thing today and my source is adamant that it is true and going to break soon.

Re Hurn and Glass - could be a number of things but my gay brain goes straight to gay stuff like - FINALLY someone’s going to come out! 😳😬😣

One of my observations in relation to the “phobia” about gays ( they is normal people too ). With the girls playing footy, no one blinks an eye when they talk about their girlfriend. With the boy footy players, it is a taboo area.

Says to me that the woman are more comfortable about telling it as it is. The males “macho” mask is stopping the males to be honest.

The male’s machoness is Neanderthal at times.

Just my Monday rant.

One of my observations in relation to the “phobia” about gays ( they is normal people too ). With the girls playing footy, no one blinks an eye when they talk about their girlfriend. With the boy footy players, it is a taboo area.

Says to me that the woman are more comfortable about telling it as it is. The males “macho” mask is stopping the males to be honest.

The male’s machoness is Neanderthal at times.

Just my Monday rant.
Yup. I believe that there are some players who would love to come out - to be able to be their ‘real’ selves, to protect their mental health by not having to hide, and to start a process that allows others to come out and to foster a culture of acceptance with the sport and supporters. But their ‘handlers’ would be saying no. Plus, of course, there would be players who are terrified of the backlash they would surely get.
As for the women, there’s at least a 50:50 ratio (probably more) of gay players. With the fellas, there’s probably on average 2 at each club, you’d feel very ‘different’ from your peers.
I think the clubs would be quite supportive, as would the majority of teammates (I think those who are unsupportive would be more likely to be the ones ostracised tbh), but it’s the dickheads in the crowd and on social media that could make life hell for them.

Because, as you said, Neanderthal machismo. 😞

So I'm hearing that the Eddie McGuire press-conference was a huge hit, everyone loved it and questions about Collingwood and a culture of systemic racism have been resolved?

So I'm hearing that the Eddie McGuire press-conference was a huge hit, everyone loved it and questions about Collingwood and a culture of systemic racism have been resolved?
What a dick. How the hell did Collingwood think that putting that spin on the findings would be a ‘positive’?

What a dick. How the hell did Collingwood think that putting that spin on the findings would be a ‘positive’?

Collingwood have learnt PR from The Thick Of It, but from Nicola Murray or one of the incompetent characters rather than Malcolm Tucker. That's my theory anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back