Mini Finals Round 16 - Round 23 (The Run Home)

Remove this Banner Ad

As documented on here and in the media, there are 13 games out of the 71 remaining that involve the current top 8 as it stands.
Considering Port is two, possibly three games out of the top 8, it's locked in with the current teams for mine.

Geelong vs Sydney at SS
West Coast vs North at Subiaco
Sydney vs Hawthorn at SCG
Geelong vs Adelaide at SS
Geelong vs Dogs at SS
Bulldogs vs North at Docklands
Hawks vs North at MCG
Giants vs Eagles at WS
West Coast vs Hawks at Subiaco
North vs Swans at Hobart
North vs Giants at Docklands
Adelaide vs Eagles at AO

Of those 13 games ONLY 2 are at a neutral venue.
What that tells me is that the top 8 positions as they stand won't change at all factoring in home ground advantage.
We are currently 7th. Those 2 neutral games involve us. If we want to finish top 4 then beating the Hawks at the G and Dogs at Docklands is a non negotiable.
Otherwise we are more than likely finding ourselves needing luck to avoid traveling in September.

Included in that 13 game list is North listed 5 times. If we make it, we've earnt it. Simple.

The other 3 games for us not included in that list is the three matches at Docklands from round 17 to round 19.
We play 9th place Port fighting for their season.
We play Collingwood on a Friday night, where Boomer equals Michael Tucks record.
Then in round 19 Boomer will break the record against the Saints.

We need our list up and firing as quickly and as soon as possible because there are no gimmick matches left. No easy wins, no percentage boosters. Every week from now we'll have a finals like intensity to it.

The boys would have had 17 days off before we play WC on Sunday. We then play two games off 6 day breaks.

I'm extremely worried that we will be chasing our tails until September springs around and there'll be zero continuity and underdone players left right and centre.

It's one thing to be physically fit for footy but how on earth we can massage all our best 22 boys back into the lineup is a real head ****.

I'm hoping that the club is factoring in the next 3 months of football into 3 blocks.
Round 16-19
Round 20-23
QF- GF

The difficulty of each period will increase and intensify, as the importance of the games fixtured doubles.

Don't get me wrong it's a real exciting period for the club as a whole- tho as seen in our last month of games, if we are nowhere near full capacity to attack these games full of steam, we will find ourselves as irrelevant as Brisbane rather quickly in terms of winning anything of note in 2016.

Hawthorn is 12-3 and top of the ladder. Hawthorn. If ever an opportunity to win a flag is there it is now and it'll F***en hurt to see injuries be the derailment of those aspirations.

This team has a history for getting better as the season goes on. Fingers crossed this year is no different because they need to go up another few gears to be a chance.

I love posts like this, I enjoy when people take the time to research sh!t before posting, Well done Tazaa.

My Thoughts.
  • Agree that we have to take these next few weeks as blocks, but important to not look to far ahead (cliche' i know).
  • list management is crucial. This is where fringe players need to perform to give others a chance to recover.
  • Hopefully we get key players back as well
    • Higgins for the WB game
    • Jacobs for Stk or WB
    • McD and Sammy for the Syd clash
  • At best I have us finishing 3rd reality is more like 5th or 6th depending on percentage.

The positive is that if we beat Bulldogs, Hawks or Swans, we are stealing 4 points from them.

We are a strong chance of top 4 as long as we win our next 4 (very doable). We then need to win 3 of 4 against the good sides. Which i am quietly confident in doing.

If our luck doesn't turn around injury wise, then we are stuffed, but you can't account for that.

First step, beating West Coast.

With Geelon and GWS losing this week, if we happen to scrape past Wet Toast we could be 3rd/5th end of this round with Port, Coll, Saints and Bulldogs to come in the next month.
I can't go past the next month because we have to win most of them to position ourselves for a top four before the hard last 3/4 weeks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club/supporters knew it limped into the bye round.....mentally reset players sticking their hand up and having a crack. Only the fittest and smartest will survive. So kids sit down and buckle in for the ride of 2016.......we're taking no prisoners. Media have forgotten us now , just the way we like it.

Lets do a Teddy Whitten and stick it right up em !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back