Opinion Mid Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

With no footy for us this weekend because of the bye I thought it'd be a good time to have a review of the first half of the season.

Best Win
Worse Loss
Most Improved
Biggest Disappointment
Best 22
Who Needs To Lift
Current Top 5 B&F
Final Finishing Position
Trade Targets

Up to you if you want to answer any or all of these questions

Best Win - Dogs Round 4

Worse Loss - Crows Round 5

Most Improved -
Daniel Rioli

Biggest Disappointment -
Riley Collier-Dawkins

Best 22

B: Grimes Balta Gibcus
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Broad
C: McIntosh Short Pickett
HF: Castagna Lambert Bolton
F: Lynch Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
INT: Baker Soldo Graham Edwards

Who Needs To Lift -
RCD Stack
Current Top 5 B&F -
Short D.Rioli Pickett Broad Bolton
Final Finishing Position
- 6th-11th
Trade Targets -
Everyone talks about the obvious target in Tom Green and Andrew McGrath has been floated this week, but for mine someone like McStay who was mentioned earlier in the year as a target is a more pressing need given our lack of KPF depth.

Tried to fill out the template but honestly, the quota's are empty to rating where we are at.

Can't really pick a best win, they all just blend in as being against weaker teams that are rebuilding. The Dogs game was the most surprising, but feel it came off the back of them playing poorly & kicking themselves out of it a bit. Worst loss the Saints or Swans, both we just folded in the 3rd & 4th quarter - which has been the story of the past 12 months. B&F is Short & Bolton & then a gulf.

Ultimately we are exactly where i feared we would be 7 to 11th, no mans land. This is even more disappointing as its been done with blooding a very limited number of under 23's - would have to be the oldest starting 22 team on average this year, and its only good enough for ninth. This is underlined by my Struggle to even find a most improved player, no one stands out to me to be playing the best footy of their career. People are going to crap out Dan Rioli here, but as the Swans game showed - he looks good playing against teams & coaches that just allow him to do his own thing. Against the Swans his defensive ability was exposed & when the team desperately needed his run and creativeness, he was nowhere to be seen. He will benefit over the next few months though, as its ski season & he looks best going down those blue runs, which is where most of you are rating his "most improved" from - he is not even close to the player he was between 2017-2020, where his game helped win matches against top 4 contenders, not just the schleeps at the bottom. The lack of quality from our younger players is still a concern - outside of Gibcus & MRJ, none of the kids have earned a spot in the team on merit, which is the biggest disappointment for me. Rocking with the same guys, who are just doing worse than previous years.

Needs to lift? Stack, RCD, Dow, Castagna, the captains, Ross, Miller etc.... take your pick

Trade Targets? - i have none, not even close to be worrying about "targets", you "target" blokes once you have actually started a proper rebuild which we haven't. Need to cleanout our own roster before we worry about targets - Miller, Aarts, Parker, Ross,Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Tarrant, Martyn, Stack, Ryan, RCD -all players i am expecting to be off the list within 1 or 2 years.

To me the mid-season review is still a few weeks too early. We are calling it before we have finished our "big boy" month vs Swans, Port, Blues, Cats. We win 3 of those and all of a sudden the script switches, but as of right now its been pretty disappointing season. We have lost all our top 8 games except for 1 against Doggies who kicked themselves out of it. The year just feels to be a waste for me, watching the golden era struggle to win games vs opponents that were well beneath them & watching as none of the kids can be assertive enough to take their spots from them. Lack of creativity and dare in the game style and coaches box. In a word, i would could 2022 "dull". With Peggy out the door and serious questions to if Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Lambert will be there also, it just feels like we are living a slow death vs watching an exciting transformation between era's.

in 2010 Benny bravely predicted the 3 flags, profit etc. I honestly cant see where the club will be in 5 years, let alone 10. The future of the club is in limbo as we are clearly seeing a massive turnover of players, key board members & i dare say, coaches, over the next few seasons. Without knowing who is going to be sticking around and in it for the long haul, its very hard to predict where we are heading.

Last edited:

Best Win - Dogs Round 4

Worse Loss - Swans

Most Improved -
Daniel Rioli

Biggest Disappointment - Riley Collier-Dawkins

Best 22
B: Grimes Balta Gibcus
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Broad
C: McIntosh Short Pickett
HF: Ralphsmith Lambert Bolton
F: Lynch Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
INT: Baker Soldo Graham Edwards

Who Needs To Lift - RCD Stack Castagna
Current Top 5 B&F -
Short D.Rioli Pickett Cotchin, Bolton
Final Finishing Position - 6th-11th
Trade Targets - Everyone talks about the obvious target in Tom Green and Andrew McGrath has been floated this week, but for mine someone like McStay who was mentioned earlier in the year as a target is a more pressing need given our lack of KPF depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back