Mid Gippy

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know how trafalgars vote to join ellinbank last night went?
Something like 90% in favour of moving. They have lodged an official application with Mid Gippy to move.

Think they voted to join ellinbank but not sure ellinbank will take them as they are very happy with he 10 clubs that they have at the moment
The word is that the Ellinbank board have been pretty keen to entice Traf over. Not sure if that is reflective of the opinion of every club in the league though. Do Ellinbank have a delegate system like Mid Gippy so would require a majority yes vote to approve? Can't remember how it went with Yarragon.

Something like 90% in favour of moving. They have lodged an official application with Mid Gippy to move.

The word is that the Ellinbank board have been pretty keen to entice Traf over. Not sure if that is reflective of the opinion of every club in the league though. Do Ellinbank have a delegate system like Mid Gippy so would require a majority yes vote to approve? Can't remember how it went with Yarragon.
Yeah they would need the clubs to vote them in - not sure what percentage they need? maybe 75% so 8 clubs. Dont know how the clubs will vote but I dont think they would want 11 clubs. Think they would be more likely to vote 2 clubs in rather than one.

From what i hear trafs motive is that mid gippy or even a merge of mid gippy/alberton will be going to one u17 junior team as directed by afl victoria. Traf have plenty of juniors from u10s all the way through to u18s so want to stay with 3rds & 4ths. Culling one junior team in this day and age of most clubs struggling to fill juniors would be unthinkable

Yeah they would need the clubs to vote them in - not sure what percentage they need? maybe 75% so 8 clubs. Dont know how the clubs will vote but I dont think they would want 11 clubs. Think they would be more likely to vote 2 clubs in rather than one.

Spot on follower. They need a minimum of 75% support. They would be a good addition but I believe clubs are very happy with the current arrangements and not keen on a bye. Perhaps if Stony Creek also submitted an application there would be more chance of Trafalgar coming across. Fingers crossed their application is successful.

Spot on follower. They need a minimum of 75% support. They would be a good addition but I believe clubs are very happy with the current arrangements and not keen on a bye. Perhaps if Stony Creek also submitted an application there would be more chance of Trafalgar coming across. Fingers crossed their application is successful.
What about Hill End? Be potentially less travel for them in EDFL rather than going over the hills to Alberton?

If MGFL folds expect a couple of mergers within a decade.
Mirboo Nth would survive and dominate Alberton.
Boolarra could last two years then call it quits.
Thorpy will shut up shop.
Yinnar are more a Valley side Club.
Hill End would be the biggest loser out of all this.
Traf would be a great get for where they're heading
Morwell East and Newborough would fold.
Yall. Nth more than likely Nth Gippy.
Sadly as has been stated before, the demise of junior football has crucified country football. Throw in this covid crap and things don't look good.
MGFL has been the greatest stick together best run country league for 50 years, all this s**t is sad.

Mirboo Nth would survive and dominate Alberton.
Boolarra could last two years then call it quits.
Thorpy will shut up shop.
Yinnar are more a Valley side Club.
Hill End would be the biggest loser out of all this.
Traf would be a great get for where they're heading
Morwell East and Newborough would fold.
Yall. Nth more than likely Nth Gippy.
Sadly as has been stated before, the demise of junior football has crucified country football. Throw in this covid crap and things don't look good.
MGFL has been the greatest stick together best run country league for 50 years, all this sh*t is sad.
I don’t think the EDFL will vote Traf into their league. And surely newborough and Morwell east wouldn’t fold. They both have decent population bases to draw from!

I don’t think the EDFL will vote Traf into their league. And surely newborough and Morwell east wouldn’t fold. They both have decent population bases to draw from!
Morwell East were financed by the contractors that were part of the construction boom in the 70s. That is now 40 years ago - premiers once since.

Newb. are a club who survive on success, no success, everyone jumps ship quicker than a Richmond supporter.
Morwell East I hope would survive. I just think the present climate doesn't bear well for either club.
I'm a one eyed MGFL fan so would hope it stayed the same. But sadly I think the league is shot through no fault of its own.

What would be the most likely mergers to happen?
Some make more sense than others
Cold Sober was on the mark.
Boolarra absorbed by Yinnar which goes to North Gippy.
Hill End strongly against travelling
Mirboo North to Alberton
Morwell East lacks the financial backing.
Newborough - traditionally strong juniors, but Moe don’t have many thriving businesses (sponsors) let alone Newborough.
Thorpdale fold
Trafalgar will be an asset for Ellinbank
Yallourn North to North Gippy

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ellinbank will look at traf favourably when they see strength & numbers of juniors all the way from u10s to u18s. Forget the seniors they will be looking well into the future. Thats trafs motive for move not mgfl merger. They want 3rds & 4ths not a single u17 team

Surely no one wants a under 17's team...

If AFL Gippsland were serious and contained some form of brain cell they would follow a similar setup to suburban leagues, and that is have under 17's and under 19's than go up to your Reserves and Senior grades. Works so much better than having 18 year olds play ressies footy. No 18 year old wants to play Reserves they would much rather an under 19's side. The development is so much better.

I think ellinbank will look at traf favourably when they see strength & numbers of juniors all the way from u10s to u18s. Forget the seniors they will be looking well into the future. Thats trafs motive for move not mgfl merger. They want 3rds & 4ths not a single u17 team
I know traf are a strong club with good junior numbers but I am almost certain that EDFL clubs won’t vote them in as they are very happy with their 10 team comp. I think it may happen at some point but only if afl vic or whatever they r called overrule the EDFL clubs.
Traf should seriously look at getting someone like hill end to try and join at the same time. 12 clubs would be better than 11.

So mid gippy has voted the 6 alberton clubs into the league for next season. Sounds like YYN and possibly Yinnar want to go to Nth gippy and Traf and possibly Hill End to EDFL. Interesting few months coming up

So mid gippy has voted the 6 alberton clubs into the league for next season. Sounds like YYN and possibly Yinnar want to go to Nth gippy and Traf and possibly Hill End to EDFL. Interesting few months coming up
Trafalgars application to join ellinbank was denied at same meeting last night so i assume thats the end of that. Wouldnt think any other mid gippy club would have a better case to leave so looks like a 15 team comp. At least for next year anyway

Traf vote yes to accept all 6 Alberton clubs but also want to leave because of it??

I can understand Yallourn North's logic at least.

Traf vote yes to accept all 6 Alberton clubs but also want to leave because of it??

I can understand Yallourn North's logic at least.
I dont think traf were leaving because of the merger they are going to have to tell 20+ kids they wont have a team to play in because it will be u17s only. Ellinbank will still be u16 & u18. They have good numbers of kids & in next 5 years will have heaps going by numbers in grades below that

I dont think traf were leaving because of the merger they are going to have to tell 20+ kids they wont have a team to play in because it will be u17s only. Ellinbank will still be u16 & u18. They have good numbers of kids & in next 5 years will have heaps going by numbers in grades below that
It will be 18s/15s in Mid Gippy next season

It will be 18s/15s in Mid Gippy next season
Dont think so Alberton clubs only have 1 junior team & unlikely to find 2. Afl vic want it to be u17s only & as we see get their way. Cant confirm but heard several teams told traf no merger no clearance but if goes through will give the nod but reneged. League president gave speech before vote thanked traf for great 50 years service expecting clearance to go through but didnt happen

Dont think so Alberton clubs only have 1 junior team & unlikely to find 2. Afl vic want it to be u17s only & as we see get their way. Cant confirm but heard several teams told traf no merger no clearance but if goes through will give the nod but reneged. League president gave speech before vote thanked traf for great 50 years service expecting clearance to go through but didnt happen
Anyone at Traf who believed that is delusional. The only clubs they had on side were YYN and East and that's because they are both exploring getting out as well and hope the favour will be returned. Matthews explicitly says he hoped the vote went in favour of retaining Traf in the league.

If Traf is using the Alberton clubs as an excuse to leave why did they vote in favour of it?

And I'm telling you Mid Gippy will be 18s/15s next year. Whether enough clubs will be able to field teams is of course a different story.

Anyone at Traf who believed that is delusional. The only clubs they had on side were YYN and East and that's because they are both exploring getting out as well and hope the favour will be returned. Matthews explicitly says he hoped the vote went in favour of retaining Traf in the league.

If Traf is using the Alberton clubs as an excuse to leave why did they vote in favour of it?

And I'm telling you Mid Gippy will be 18s/15s next year. Whether enough clubs will be able to field teams is of course a different story.
Thanks for clearing that up obviously your in the know. Now that its a 15 team comp why didnt all 15 clubs get to vote on trafs application to leave

Thanks for clearing that up obviously your in the know. Now that its a 15 team comp why didnt all 15 clubs get to vote on trafs application to leave
The Alberton clubs will be considered members of Mid Gippy once they have paid the entrance fee -- I believe $10k. The expectation is there will be another meeting next month and all Alberton clubs have committed to being financial by then and therefore will have a vote.

To be fair about your point re juniors. There will be a vote about that next meeting and the report obviously recommended 17s only. But the motion set for next meeting was 18s/15s with no clubs objecting and the Alberton clubs agreed several months ago they would be fit with whatever structure Mid Gippy wanted (which includes Alberton clubs dropping 13s netball and adding a D grade). I would be very very surprised if that motion (18s/15s for footy, netball remains as is) didn't get up next league meeting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back