Mid Gippy 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to from now. Restrictions not likely to change soon. Foster tarwin toora virtually fielding 2s teams which totally compromises integrity of ladder. 2 of the teams in the reserves final 5 forfeiting how can they even consider playing a final series under these conditions. No crowds to fund anything i watched hill end v tarwin online the football was deplorable

Yeah it will be interesting, I know the north gippy is committed to playing finals this weekend. I dare say the likes of Yarram and Tyers will be impacted by the unavailability of metro players, with both clubs having some travelers.

League will have a tough decision to make regarding a fair finals series , if any.

Lockdown extended until at least sept 2 so unable to present with a fair & equitable finals series so would think all leagues in major turmoil

It is what it is

Continue on and finish the season. Don't let Covid19 screw another year of footy.
Agree. I don’t see it being ‘unfair’ or inequitable. Team selection has always been subject to clearances, injury, ill health, suspension, work/personal commitments and absences through mischance. At the start of the season Covid-19 travel restrictions were foreseeable.

Agree. I don’t see it being ‘unfair’ or inequitable. Team selection has always been subject to clearances, injury, ill health, suspension, work/personal commitments and absences through mischance. At the start of the season Covid-19 travel restrictions were foreseeable.
League charter is to provide a fair & equitable competition. I dont see that it is. Government decrees change the fair playing field. Apart from that who wants to win a flag under these conditions with no crowds & no celebrations after winning. A premiership would have huge stigma on it if its not fair

League charter is to provide a fair & equitable competition. I dont see that it is. Government decrees change the fair playing field. Apart from that who wants to win a flag under these conditions with no crowds & no celebrations after winning. A premiership would have huge stigma on it if its not fair

It's not fair. But ultimately it's 2 choices.

One, take Ur bat and ball and go home.

Two. Keep going ahead with the game of footy that's been obliterated the last 18 months. Keep the kids playing footy which ultimately, is our most important objective through all this.

Let's look at the bigger picture through all this rather than the woah is me approach.

Country footy is in a bit of strife. But that's a whole huge discussion seperate to this.

PS. I know lots and lots of footballers that want to keep playing. So don't paint that picture.

Every club is free to select teams from players available. No one feels sorry for your club when their best players are missing, due to unavailability, the rest of the year. What about back in the heyday of Latrobe Valley sport, with shift workers.

Last edited:
Every club is free to select teams from players available. No one feels sorry for your club when their best players are missing due to unavailability, the rest of the year.
Hey no worries my mob will win the flag easily with no competition from the south but just feel it will be hollow victory. But definitely agree keep the kids playing. Not that we have any either

Hey no worries my mob will win the flag easily with no competition from the south but just feel it will be hollow victory. But definitely agree keep the kids playing. Not that we have any either
Life is full of ‘what if’s’ and ‘it’s a shame’. I’d rate a young mother dying from cancer above and beyond a few blokes missing having a kick and a beer in a mickey mouse comp. You yourself said you watched two top 8 sides play Saturday and it was ‘deplorable’.

Have the mid gippy announced finals venues?
Yeah, I saw that they had venues announced in the Foster local newspaper. But I don't have that week's paper anymore so I'm going off memory for this.

The First Week of Finals, one is at Thorpdale the other Fish Creek. This may be the Semis though, I only remember that the first 2 weeks are split between Mid Gippy and Alberton grounds and that Fish Creek was one week and I think Tarwin was the other.

Prelim is at a Mid Gippy Ground
Grand Final is at Morwell East

I'm surprised I can't find anything online. I can find other year's venues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad situation for all country clubs.
Hard enough to keep clubs going in normal times, this s**t is hurting everyone.
Hats off to all. stay safe and hang into all.

Sadly i think seasons all over. For players left in contention better to tell them now for their own mental health that its finished. Saves them from am i still training, why am i training , will it, wont it go ahead. Unfortunately all hope has dissipated

Sadly i think seasons all over. For players left in contention better to tell them now for their own mental health that its finished. Saves them from am i still training, why am i training , will it, wont it go ahead. Unfortunately all hope has dissipated
You say that like training and keeping fit is a bad thing?

It is hard to see the rest of the season being played out since leagues generally have wrapped-up before the AFL Grand Final.

The should still award Hill End the flag, they've been the clear best team in the league all year, maybe even a Hill End v Mirboo North Grand Final to give it a year an actual end. Doubt they'll do anything more than that. Doubt there'll be the "one last game" option either, more wishful thinking.

I'd have loved to give Fish Creek a chance to beat Mirboo North in a final, but realistically (if the lockdown will last another 2 months) just give the flag to Hill End.

It is hard to see the rest of the season being played out since leagues generally have wrapped-up before the AFL Grand Final.

The should still award Hill End the flag, they've been the clear best team in the league all year, maybe even a Hill End v Mirboo North Grand Final to give it a year an actual end. Doubt they'll do anything more than that. Doubt there'll be the "one last game" option either, more wishful thinking.

I'd have loved to give Fish Creek a chance to beat Mirboo North in a final, but realistically (if the lockdown will last another 2 months) just give the flag to Hill End.
Goulburn valley football league canned season & awarded echuca the premiership. Due to public & club backlash have rescinded that decision & only awarded minor premiership. Hill end & mirboo equal on points separated by percentage & 1st round not finished i would think impossible to declare outright winner. Would think minor premier more appropriate. Up to 18 leagues have folded their season to date & dont think any have awarded outright premier

Goulburn valley football league canned season & awarded echuca the premiership. Due to public & club backlash have rescinded that decision & only awarded minor premiership. Hill end & mirboo equal on points separated by percentage & 1st round not finished i would think impossible to declare outright winner. Would think minor premier more appropriate. Up to 18 leagues have folded their season to date & dont think any have awarded outright premier
Basic mathematics suggests that there are more whingeing supporters amongst the 11 clubs who don’t support Echuca.

Top is top, and is as good a way as any to denote the premier team for the season.

Last edited:
Delegates meeting tonight. Clubs that don’t have all their players available, or aren’t sitting 1,2 on the ladder aren’t overly keen on a premiership decider being played. Eleven is greater than two.

Basic mathematics suggests that there are more whingeing supporters amongst the 11 clubs who don’t support Echuca.
Top is top, and is as good a way as any to denote the premier team for the season.

Echuca was actually one of the strongest voices saying that no premiership should be awarded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back