News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst this was done by a Victorian supporter to take the p155 out of the back and fourth, it almost helps us by pointing the finger back at the AFL.

If they don’t want to do anything to assist the equalisation of the fixture, will they do something to minimise their carbon emissions? With businesses and governments all making commitments to going ‘greener’, will the billion dollar AFL do the same?

Effectively, it should be a back door entry to less flying, however, knowing the vAFL, they’ll probably just ban Vic teams from travelling at all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very good point!

The only other option they could possibly offer is for the WA teams to have back to back games in the Eastern states or the same state.
Not true.
1. Yes, back to back games
2. No matches in Tas
3. Even up breaks where the travel is disproportionate
4. Early games so a same day flight
5. At least 3(?) games on the G - incl Captain’s Run
6. No fixturing where e.g. where Bris rarely played us in Perth.

That’s just off the top of my head. Other options?

Then there’s a myriad of other issues like nonWA players reluctant to come to WA; all commentators covering games to be at the ground; AFL mandate all ‘national’ footy shows have equal representation from each team; and, if mid season trade eventuates it’ll give another advantage to Vic clubs. Etc etc

If we are to reduce the disadvantage that nonVic sides (esp WA) suffer then we need to keep banging on about this.

Another reason I’m all in on Mark Duffield and anyone else pushing the boat of a team in South West WA (rather then NT)
  • Guarantees more games in WA (instead of gather round once a year)
  • means more flights for clubs based in Melbourne (ideally 3 a year in Perth for all Melbourne based clubs does go someway to evening the comp)
  • population to cover it
  • financially makes sense to the AFL as unlikely to require prop ups, like north etc get to survive.
  • don’t need to build a new stadium, although 20-30k stadium in Busselton/Bunbury would be awesome
  • direct flights from Busso to Melbourne, although if games were played down south, I’d love Melbourne clubs to fly to Perth and then catch a Bus to Busso/Bunbury (see if Cats enjoy that journey)
  • would offer a lifestyle choice to attract some players (similar to geelong but with better weather)
Bring on the South West Sting Rays
Surely you cant base a team in the South West and have them play all their games in Perth

Joondalup is surely the best place for a third WA team, do up Arena Joondalup to be a 20k seat stadium to host most of their games, Perth could do with a good secondary oval stadium too for AFLW, WAFL, hopefully a gather round.

Another reason I’m all in on Mark Duffield and anyone else pushing the boat of a team in South West WA (rather then NT)
  • means more flights for clubs based in Melbourne (ideally 3 a year in Perth for all Melbourne based clubs does go someway to evening the comp)
  • population to cover it
  • financially makes sense to the AFL as unlikely to require prop ups, like north etc get to survive.
  • don’t need to build a new stadium, although 20-30k stadium in Busselton/Bunbury would be awesome
  • direct flights from Busso to Melbourne, although if games were played down south, I’d love Melbourne clubs to fly to Perth and then catch a Bus to Busso/Bunbury (see if Cats enjoy that journey)
  • would offer a lifestyle choice to attract some players (similar to geelong but with better weather)
:100:
Makes the most sense for a team 20. Probably a northern suburbs team and get Freo to focus a little more south? either way is good though.

The only other option they could possibly offer is for the WA teams to have back to back games in the Eastern states or the same state.

I think they’d be fine with that, but would our players?

Also, it negates any advantage we get from spending money on state of the art facilities at Lathlain if we’re spending large amounts of time away from home.

Also, it negates any advantage we get from spending money on state of the art facilities at Lathlain if we’re spending large amounts of time away from home.
I think Schoey mentioned that in chatting to Don Pyke, the question has been asked of the AFL if we can do a swing through Queensland instead of two separate trips should that arise.

Surely it doesn't change the time we're at Lathlain, just shifts it around slightly. Longer stretches on the road mitigates the multiple days we lose to travel around away games.

It might work if you got in bed with Collingwood and some how share facilities

Something really simple for the fixture is for WA teams to play 2 away games in Adelaide each year, 1 in Alice Springs and the rest in Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney which we hub for 2 games and knock out the 5 day turn arounds required by the CBA. No bs flights to Tassie, FNQ etc. Would minimise time in the air massively.

Found an interesting podcast the other day with Damian Cavka(an eagle that had to retire in 2016 due to rare foot condition), first half of the episode is about his injury and how the club helped him out during that period,
Sounds like a ripper bloke who loves the club.

He was one that I was really looking forward to seeing him play for us, but unfortunately he couldn’t get over the foot injury. Hope he’s ok in life now.

• population to cover it
South West Sharks?? Some scary big fekkers down that way.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• population to cover it
I'd actually have an internal crisis if a South West team came to fruition

Bunbury Heisenbergs
Bunno Cartons mate

DKTLqZIUMAA5e8C.jpg:large

Bunbury Dolphins would work but practically I don't think you could have a Bunbury team or a Busselton team as the other would feel left out I reckon. That said, the team would obviously have a fixed home and while it has been a while since I've been back in the south west, direct flights to Busselton surely gives Busselton an edge. There's only so much they'd be able to do with any of the grounds in Bunbury either.

I could see a team called the Southern Sharks.

Bunbury Dolphins would work but practically I don't think you could have a Bunbury team or a Busselton team as the other would feel left out I reckon. That said, the team would obviously have a fixed home and while it has been a while since I've been back in the south west, direct flights to Busselton surely gives Busselton an edge. There's only so much they'd be able to do with any of the grounds in Bunbury either.

I could see a team called the Southern Sharks.
With the duplication of Bussell Highway nearing completion its a quick 30 minute odd drive to Bunbury from Busselton. Hands Oval would get the upgrade you'd think??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back