News Matthew Broadbent signs with Henley

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus he wasn't even in good form beforehand. However one wonders how much of that can be attributed to carrying that injury for so long.

I thought Broady was in quite good form early last year. Had a couple of rippers when we were hot. Then he had the first of his ankle injuries for the season and was never quite the same. Finally he was put out to pasture.

I thought Broady was in quite good form early last year. Had a couple of rippers when we were hot. Then he had the first of his ankle injuries for the season and was never quite the same. Finally he was put out to pasture.

Yeah he was rank after awhile

think people should simmer down their expectations for Broady
Has missed ALOT of footy. Was in Avg form before the injury.
And now has a whole list of younger players ahead of him

Ever the optimist..

Last played AFL last July so not sure how form plays into it. Has the capability to be a strong HBF again but needs the match fitness first of course.

He was in dodgy form because of injury.

He'd be playing well in our defence if fully fit, of that I have no doubt. The bonus for us is that Bonner has gotten a lot of games and gotten up to the speed of AFL football well.

I can see a scene like this playing out in the locker room:

6168397426dc01c0f1b5cf24bc099033.png

Houston: "Hey Bonner, you wanted to know who the best is, that's him. Cobra. That's the way he plays, slow but deadly. He just wears you down, you do something stupid and he's got you....hey Pittard! I thought you said you were going to reduce your clanger count man, what happened?"

Pittard: "Houston, you're such a dickhead. Whose butt did you kiss to finally get on the plane to China this year?"

Houston: "Well the list is long, but distinguished."

Pittard: "Yeah, well so's my johnson."

Houston: "I hear that Cobra is returning from injury..."

Pittard: "That's Mr. Cobra to you."

Broadbent: "Mission Control! How's it going?!"

Houston: "Hi Matt. Matt, this is Riley Bonner. Riley, this is Matthew Broadbent."

Broadbent: "Congratulations on your Rising Star nomination."

Bonner: "Thankyou."

Broadbent: "Sorry to hear about Hartlett. He and I were like brothers on the back flank. He was a good man."

Bonner: "He still is a good man."

Broadbent: "Yeah that's what I meant."

Bonner: "Thought so."

Broadbent: "Hey, do you need any help?"

Bonner: "With what?"

Broadbent: "You figured it out yet?"

Bonner: "What's that?"

Broadbent: "Who's the best half back at the club?"

Bonner: "No, I think I can figure that one out on my own."

Broadbent: "I heard that about you...you like to work alone."

Pittard: "Bonner, you must have sold under a lucky star, huh? I mean, getting drafted late to Port Adelaide and then you slide into Hartlett's spot..."

Houston: "He didn't slide into Hartlett's spot, it was his okay?"

Pittard: "Well some half backs wait their whole career just to play in a top four team. I guess you two are lucky and famous, huh?"

Broadbent: "No, you mean notorious. I'll see you later."

Bonner: "You can count on it."

Houston: "They were abused children."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming he can get fit enough Broady's bigger body would probably be better in a cut throat final than eg Bonner at this stage of his career, but as others have already suggested he will need at least a month playing for the Maggies to be anywhere near AFL match fitness levels.

I'm not so sure about McKenzie though, good back up maybe, but I suspect he will be a fair way down the batting order for AFL selection even when fully fit.

Assuming he can get fit enough Broady's bigger body would probably be better in a cut throat final than eg Bonner at this stage of his career, but as others have already suggested he will need at least a month playing for the Maggies to be anywhere near AFL match fitness levels.

I'm not so sure about McKenzie though, good back up maybe, but I suspect he will be a fair way down the batting order for AFL selection even when fully fit.
It wasn't the kids that let the side down in LY's Elimination final so your comment doesn't really stack up.

The fact he's kicking a footy this early in pre-season is great. Still though if he reaches full fitness it will be tough for him to crack the AFL side due to the long layoff he's had as well as the pace he lost pre-injury 2 1/2 years ago.

If he plays AFL again that would be huge for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back