Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Coxy looked "on" early in the game and he didn't let us down. His contested marking was outstanding as was that brilliant handpass after being tackled by Horne Francis. People continue to underestimate how good Coxy is at ground level. He is a very mobile and athletic big man and a true weapon when his confidence is up.

I’m wondering what the injury is that he had to wear the glove? Has anything been said?
Just heard it was a finger. Apparently he'll be wearing it all year, so guess it will require surgery at the end of the season.

From AFL.com

Golf glove love

Mason Cox has never been afraid to stand out. Standing 211cm and wearing goggles, you can’t miss the Texan. The 33-year-old sported a white golf glove on Saturday and is expected to wear it for the rest of the season due to a finger injury. The AFL approved the move this week, before Cox kicked a couple of goals and hauled in five marks.

Last edited:
To add to the above reason for the glove, he said on 3AW that he has cast on underneath it. So he has a cast protecting the injured finger and the glove protecting the cast!
Makes his important contribution today even more meritorious I reckon.👏
Considering all the serious injuries Mase has had in his time playing AFL (eye, spleen), I wonder if he will ever regret taking the game up? Perhaps having a premiership medal 🏅 will make it all worth it ;)

To add to the above reason for the glove, he said on 3AW that he has cast on underneath it. So he has a cast protecting the injured finger and the glove protecting the cast!
Makes his important contribution today even more meritorious I reckon.👏
Considering all the serious injuries Mase has had in his time playing AFL (eye, spleen), I wonder if he will ever regret taking the game up? Perhaps having a premiership medal 🏅 will make it all worth it ;)
It would be the understatement of understatements made on this entire forum that it was worth it, says the American Pies' fan in the Arizona desert, still elated, watching Mason live out the dream all of us here only dreamed of while watching on ESPN in the 1980s.

Peace!

I wonder if he will ever regret taking the game up?
I doubt it, but, he does seem to have mixed feelings about footy.

Brayden C: "Everyone wants to know about the father-son, you're
eligible for father-son, 100 games."

Mason Cox: "Yeah."

Brayden C: "Will we be seeing an 8 foot Mason Cox running around?"

Mason Cox: "No. Without a question no."

"...if I do have kids I'd put them in basketball early, that's
what I would do. And no offense, AFL."

Fortunately kids have minds of their own.

Coxy looked "on" early in the game and he didn't let us down. His contested marking was outstanding as was that brilliant handpass after being tackled by Horne Francis. People continue to underestimate how good Coxy is at ground level. He is a very mobile and athletic big man and a true weapon when his confidence is up.
He was very good yesterday. That is the level we need him at, consistently.

He was very good yesterday. That is the level we need him at, consistently.

I think last week excepted where he played a stinker, he’s been mostly good this year in ruck and around the ground ….and in fact little underrated at ground level. He’s pretty sharp with the handball and has good awareness. Great to see him hitting the scoreboard in 2024 finally, that aspect of his game which is a weapon has deserted him so far.

Consistency is preferable but he’s a different player to Darcy Cameron. Mason will always have his ups and downs.

True.
Just don’t expect him to accelerate away from a contest, or chase down an opponent.
Whenever an opponent sees he is the chaser they take him on.
All I’ve ever wanted Cox to do is to use his size to influence contests, not get rag dolled out of ruck duels for instance.
Yesterday his influence was telling. If he can finally become consistent then we are truly back in the hunt.
Oh, and I’m always confident of a goal when he has the ball within 45 metres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True.
Just don’t expect him to accelerate away from a contest, or chase down an opponent.
All I’ve ever wanted Cox to do is to use his size to influence contests, not get rag dolled out of ruck duels for instance.
Yesterday his influence was telling. If he can finally become consistent then we are truly back in the hunt.
Cox is not slow by the way. He just doesn't have the acceleration and the agility to catch the smaller players. I'm pretty sure Cox's top end speed is higher than Bobby Hill's.

True.

Cox is a really good shot on goal if he’s within his distance.

I doubt it, but, he does seem to have mixed feelings about footy.

Brayden C: "Everyone wants to know about the father-son, you're
eligible for father-son, 100 games."

Mason Cox: "Yeah."

Brayden C: "Will we be seeing an 8 foot Mason Cox running around?"

Mason Cox: "No. Without a question no."

"...if I do have kids I'd put them in basketball early, that's
what I would do. And no offense, AFL."

Fortunately kids have minds of their own.
That is a disappointing answer. He flew thousands of miles to a country he had never been to to try out for a game he'd never heard of and left behind a high paying secure job offer to have the grand adventure and ultimately says without hesitation he would never want his theoretical son to play the indigenous game of a country he now calls home after being naturalised?

Did Brayden follow up with the word, "Why?" If it is related to the many injuries he has sustained I would understand, but outside of that one reason anything else would be a disappointing response. Why wouldn't you want your son to play the greatest game on earth and one in which you made your name and fame (even if only in Australia)?

Cox is not slow by the way. He just doesn't have the acceleration and the agility to catch the smaller players. I'm pretty sure Cox's top end speed is higher than Bobby Hill's.
He is very quick for a man of his size and his speed and agility are constantly overlooked or underrated.

That is a disappointing answer. He flew thousands of miles to a country he had never been to to try out for a game he'd never heard of and left behind a high paying secure job offer to have the grand adventure and ultimately says without hesitation he would never want his theoretical son to play the indigenous game of a country he now calls home after being naturalised?

Did Brayden follow up with the word, "Why?" If it is related to the many injuries he has sustained I would understand, but outside of that one reason anything else would be a disappointing response. Why wouldn't you want your son to play the greatest game on earth and one in which you made your name and fame (even if only in Australia)?
Remuneration. The minimum NBA salary is more than any AFL player is earning, and if any hypothetical children of his are similarly sized it would be worth a shot. Really good EuroLeague players can also make millions.

I expect it is the injuries. To Cox’s way of thinking, it’s a laughably brutal game, and he has the scars to prove it. I don’t blame him to think of his future hypothetical kids’ wellbeing after all he has been through.

Coxy played a really good game on Saturday. It was a game at about the level we should expect every week.

His issue is always about backing it up. Let’s hope he can do it next week and the week after.

Btw, he is league worst at ground balls. Let’s not kid ourselves here.

Decent game for a change, if only he had more than 3 or 4 of them a year....
He does. You must not watch us very often. You don't play 100 plus games and have a regular place in a premiership team when you rarely play a decent game let alone a good one..

I was nervous for how the glove would impact his ball drop for set shots. Would love to see a proper camera angle for his second goal, looked like it did not come off the boot nicely at all!

But the main thing is they went through on a day when we couldn't nail them from anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back