Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Coxy always been hit and miss.

But the more pressing issue is the minimal ruck depth at the club

Beyond making the ruck area vulnerable to injury… it puts zero selection pressure on the two incumbents

And the Collingwood of this year needs more selection pressure imo

Just on Kreuger I disagree that we should avoid picking him for injury risk reasons alone. He’s a listed player and if ( BIG IF) he shows adequate form in the vfl then he should be under consideration. His injuries tend to be different every time so it’s not as if he has a specific chronic issue eg Ben Reid in the past.

Similarly I wouldn’t be basing next years list management decisions as a selection consideration.

Beyond making the ruck area vulnerable to injury… it puts zero selection pressure on the two incumbents

It’s the key forward depth tbh that’s a bigger concern. We can get by with rucks being unavailable as we did last year.

It’s when the second ruck isn’t performing adequately in the forward line that it becomes problematic

My first thought is Kreuger. We need a key forward target more than we need a ruckman . But Freddy needs to get through a game first if not two or three.

Cox has bounced back from stinkers before and will likely be backed in again
Kreuger in the ruck?. Jumping and bumping into opponents would break in half within first 5 minutes.

Hawthorn have reeves and leak...both huge and same style ruckman

Poach reeves

My view is that it's not so much ruck depth that's the issue - it's proper sized KPF depth. We only need one ruck and a proper sized forward that can pinch hit there. Our two who could do it are both injured.

I think he'll get another senior chance this year (we've got noone else), which will decide his longer term fate.
Probably. I'm just assuming it will once again end in injury. I think Steene will be solid next season and supplant Cox, playing alongside (hopefully) Mihocek and McStay.

Probably. I'm just assuming it will once again end in injury. I think Steene will be solid next season and supplant Cox, playing alongside (hopefully) Mihocek and McStay.
I think talls are really hard to predict. I'm going to wait until Steene goes from occasional good moments to good games in the VFL before I jump on his bandwagon. He didn't do enough last year for me to be confident.

Next year, I like the idea of McStay, Checkers and Reef - with McStay chopping out in the ruck.

Really good performance for Coxy. Had one of his worst games last week and occasionally dishes out bad performances from time to time, but to his credit he always seems to respond pretty well, doesn’t have too many consecutive bad games in a row.

Also the glove NEEDS TO STAY!

Really good performance for Coxy. Had one of his worst games last week and occasionally dishes out bad performances from time to time, but to his credit he always seems to respond pretty well, doesn’t have too many consecutive bad games in a row.

Also the glove NEEDS TO STAY!

His aerial work is super important for our structure, so often we kick long to him and him taking the occasional mark / not getting outmarked is critical to the team.

The 2 goals was a very nice bonus

Excellent competition in the air from both Cox and Cameron meant that our forward line absolutely feasted. The second Aliir and Esava fail to intercept they're liabilities, genuine league-worst stuff, so keeping them honest in the air was gonna be key. And we reaped the benefits by waltzing in almost 40 scoring shots.

Plus he added a couple of contested grab goals, which are worth their weight in gold.

A really solid game after a poor start to the year. Let's hope the glove is the catalyst!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His parents are in town for a month, and we all know that he plays his best games when they’re here. So hopefully we get 3 more games like that.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back