Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Point made by the thermometer !!
The mcdfl cops some flack over the standard but if its competitive, and 1 week before finals anyone can win it, isnt that the real sign of a good league?
Have a look around locally at other leagues.
LPFL- Skipton seemingly have it in the bag.
CHFL-Hepburn and Dayelsford like every year. Bunninyong a slight chance of upsetting a team.
Lvfl- Bridgewater (1 loss) Pyramid Hill (2 losses) will play off in a grand final
Hdfl- Heathcote undefeated.
The MCDFL can honestly be one of the very few leagues that can say that any team in the 5 can win it.

And on the subject of Bushy in the twos, i dont think people would care if the older boys were dropping back, as long as kids were gaining valuable experiance in the ones, which i dont see really happening. Will a twos premiership really help the club going forward?

And Under 14s Football looks as if it may go ahead next year. I could see Brook Filling one, Talbot, Avoca ,Maldon and stead also, what about the rest?

All good for your 2's to make up the numbers in the finals but from an outside perspective , it seems you have senior blokes running round in the ressies. With respect , why recruit big Trevor Ronki and let him play reserves when the ones could do with their best side available each week? Seems a bit odd to an outside observer. Would it not be better for the club to see the seniors moving up the ladder rather than the reserves? Anyway , it's your club , I guess youse can do what you like , just thought I'd throw the question out there.
Great comment. Everyone knows Park are doing it tough but to hang your hat on seconds glory with old blokes means nothing. To advance you need to grow your young players, unfortunately Royal Park cant keep them. They wont win the seconds flag anyway. Good finals series in seniors coming up with everyone in the race although double chance is vital.

The mcdfl cops some flack over the standard but if its competitive, and 1 week before finals anyone can win it, isnt that the real sign of a good league?
CHFL-Hepburn and Dayelsford like every year. Bunninyong a slight chance of upsetting a team.
Lvfl- Bridgewater (1 loss) Pyramid Hill (2 losses) will play off in a grand final
The MCDFL can honestly be one of the very few leagues that can say that any team in the 5 can win it.

And on the subject of Bushy in the twos, i dont think people would care if the older boys were dropping back, as long as kids were gaining valuable experiance in the ones, which i dont see really happening. Will a twos premiership really help the club going forward?

And Under 14s Football looks as if it may go ahead next year. I could see Brook Filling one, Talbot, Avoca ,Maldon and stead also, what about the rest?

Talbot winning the 2s flag last year certainly did them no favours this year you could argue.

There is very little excuse for clubs to not get an under 17 and 14 side together. I acknowledge there is obvious problems with the Maryborough teams but if clubs have a crack it can get done. Talbot are arguably the smallest town in the league and we will be able to do it through sheer hard work.

Can't see Newstead having a team in the under 14s competition. The Newstead under 15 side is going strongly in the castlemaine district junior footy league and wouldn't want to change leagues.

The Newstead Footy club is a different club to the Newstead youth club which involves the under 10s, 12s and 15s. It is pretty optimistic to think the youth club would just about pack up so a newstead under 14s side can join the mcdfl.

Can't see Newstead having a team in the under 14s competition. The Newstead under 15 side is going strongly in the castlemaine district junior footy league and wouldn't want to change leagues.

The Newstead Footy club is a different club to the Newstead youth club which involves the under 10s, 12s and 15s. It is pretty optimistic to think the youth club would just about pack up so a newstead under 14s side can join the mcdfl.

No reason for the Newstead youth club to pack up??

They could still enter 10’s and 12’s in the Junior comp and then the kids could transfer to the 14’s in the MCDFNL.

No reason for the Newstead youth club to pack up??

They could still enter 10’s and 12’s in the Junior comp and then the kids could transfer to the 14’s in the MCDFNL.
Yeh that would be really handy for the parents of a kid who is 11 and one who is 13. Just travel from one end of the country to the other. The juniors need to be together for it to succeed. Why cant the age group be u15s and maybe u12s any way. Why do we have to be u14s.
No doubt Junior Footy is changing in the very near future with Castlemaine looking at other age groups in the Bendigo Junior League but it must be done properly and not ignoring what is a successful Junior Comp in the CDJFL

Yeh that would be really handy for the parents of a kid who is 11 and one who is 13. Just travel from one end of the country to the other. The juniors need to be together for it to succeed. Why cant the age group be u15s and maybe u12s any way. Why do we have to be u14s.
No doubt Junior Footy is changing in the very near future with Castlemaine looking at other age groups in the Bendigo Junior League but it must be done properly and not ignoring what is a successful Junior Comp in the CDJFL

Good point Frustrated, this has always been the issue when the Castlemaine based clubs have looked at entering juniors in the MCDFNL.
But as you have stated footy is changing and if Castlemaine FC enter junior sides into the BJFL then the 3 W's will stuggle to survive which would mean the there may not be a CDJFL to play in next year.
I think an under 15 comp would be better than under 14 so their isn such a big jump from 14,s to 17,s.
The Maryborough based teams would need to work hard as King Rich said to ensure that if a junior comp was started it has all teams involved. Bushy dont have thirds, would they be able to feild a 4ths team?
Dunolly have forfieted a couple of 3rds games so they would be a worry as well.

It’s no different now Frustrated. Newstead and Harcourt often have u15 kids show up to take the field half way through a 17’s match. Maldon used to do so also when they had a 17’s team. And yes, some of those kids are brothers playing in different grades. So I don’t see the difference. As far as U14’s go, I agree there is nothing to say that it couldn’t be U15’s.

I realize the Castlemaine comp has been going for 50 odd years and is very successful, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the structure of junior football in the area is right.

IMO, and it is only an opinion, football would be better off if all of the junior and senior clubs were under the one hat. And all teams played in the one league.

Seniors down to 12’s. Which is what is done in a number of leagues.

A good model is the Lexton Plains. (Although they are to be defunct, but that has nothing to do with the structure, just a lack of teams.)

When they wanted to introduce the Under 14 comp, there was uproar from some teams because they said they couldn’t make the numbers up.

They introduced the under 14 comp back in 2004 and it was a great success. All of the clubs fielded a team. A couple of rural teams had difficulty at first but 7 out of the eight teams now field a U14’s team. The exception is Lexton, but they have a population of about 4 cats and a dog.

There are some people over Castlemaine way that are of the opinion that the Maryborough clubs should form a junior comp around the Maryborough teams.

Sounds good, but the Maryborough based clubs face the same problems that the Three W’s may face if Castlemaine enter junior teams. Maryborough JFC has a hold on most of the junior kids in the area. Although I do believe that if a fully fledged comp in the MCDFNL was to start then a lot of these kids and their parents would rather play for a local team in a MCDFNL Saturday comp which would free up their Sundays.

For a U14 or U15 comp to work in the MCDFNL, all teams should be encouraged to field a side. Some clubs will struggle for numbers at first, but it won’t grow unless the seeds are planted.:)

The VCFL report is out. Navarre and Natte to MCDFL and Trentham to stay and a 19 team League CHFL for 2 years and then the clubs can vote on a 2 division league or a geographical league

It’s no different now Frustrated. Newstead and Harcourt often have u15 kids show up to take the field half way through a 17’s match. Maldon used to do so also when they had a 17’s team. And yes, some of those kids are brothers playing in different grades. So I don’t see the difference. As far as U14’s go, I agree there is nothing to say that it couldn’t be U15’s.

I realize the Castlemaine comp has been going for 50 odd years and is very successful, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the structure of junior football in the area is right.

IMO, and it is only an opinion, football would be better off if all of the junior and senior clubs were under the one hat. And all teams played in the one league.

Seniors down to 12’s. Which is what is done in a number of leagues.

A good model is the Lexton Plains. (Although they are to be defunct, but that has nothing to do with the structure, just a lack of teams.)

When they wanted to introduce the Under 14 comp, there was uproar from some teams because they said they couldn’t make the numbers up.

They introduced the under 14 comp back in 2004 and it was a great success. All of the clubs fielded a team. A couple of rural teams had difficulty at first but 7 out of the eight teams now field a U14’s team. The exception is Lexton, but they have a population of about 4 cats and a dog.

There are some people over Castlemaine way that are of the opinion that the Maryborough clubs should form a junior comp around the Maryborough teams.

Sounds good, but the Maryborough based clubs face the same problems that the Three W’s may face if Castlemaine enter junior teams. Maryborough JFC has a hold on most of the junior kids in the area. Although I do believe that if a fully fledged comp in the MCDFNL was to start then a lot of these kids and their parents would rather play for a local team in a MCDFNL Saturday comp which would free up their Sundays.

For a U14 or U15 comp to work in the MCDFNL, all teams should be encouraged to field a side. Some clubs will struggle for numbers at first, but it won’t grow unless the seeds are planted.:)

Some good points there Snippers, but unfortunately there are some things that impact junior level which you fail to mention.
If the Lexton Plains is such a good example why were the in so much trouble, simple answer, not the amount of clubs but the amount of money some clubs spent. Thats what stuffed the league and if clubs are throwing money around to recruit senior players then there is no pathway for juniors coming through and as such clubs struggle and dissapear.

To say that kids will play MCDFNL juniors rather than with Maryborough is forgetting that KMart and Coles wiill be opening in Maryborough soon and will be looking to employ a lot of young kids who then wont be able to play footy. Whilst this doesnt impact so much on uner 14 or 15 it will impact on the amount of kids coming into the under 17.

To say that there are some around Castlemaine who believe that Maryborough should start a junior comp is correct. Problem is that for 40 years the appathy in Maryborough and lack of assistance to those who have tried to do it has killed it off more than once. It may be too late to start a stand alone comp there now.

The worry is that we are seeing sides struggle to field 3rds and that is even some of the sides who have under 15s in Castlemaine. so are there the kids around to run a comp? how many kids are there under 15 in Maryborough? until this is known it is not worth trying to fold up the CDJFL

You are ballarat based and as such probably have an affiliation with Talbot, Avoca or Dunolly, but I may be wrong, of those sides only Talbot do anything towards juniors and they have had a couple of goes at getting juniors going. Avoca just winge that there isnt any under 14 while Dunolly fired all their shots last year and now struggle in all grades and have forfieted their 3rds a few times. maybe these 2 clubs are still working under the Lexton League structure that you find so good.
The structure needs to be right otherwise it will see kids not playing and will lose more kids rather than gaining them.

Some good points there Snippers, but unfortunately there are some things that impact junior level which you fail to mention.
If the Lexton Plains is such a good example why were the in so much trouble, simple answer, not the amount of clubs but the amount of money some clubs spent. Thats what stuffed the league and if clubs are throwing money around to recruit senior players then there is no pathway for juniors coming through and as such clubs struggle and dissapear.

To say that kids will play MCDFNL juniors rather than with Maryborough is forgetting that KMart and Coles wiill be opening in Maryborough soon and will be looking to employ a lot of young kids who then wont be able to play footy. Whilst this doesnt impact so much on uner 14 or 15 it will impact on the amount of kids coming into the under 17.

To say that there are some around Castlemaine who believe that Maryborough should start a junior comp is correct. Problem is that for 40 years the appathy in Maryborough and lack of assistance to those who have tried to do it has killed it off more than once. It may be too late to start a stand alone comp there now.

The worry is that we are seeing sides struggle to field 3rds and that is even some of the sides who have under 15s in Castlemaine. so are there the kids around to run a comp? how many kids are there under 15 in Maryborough? until this is known it is not worth trying to fold up the CDJFL

You are ballarat based and as such probably have an affiliation with Talbot, Avoca or Dunolly, but I may be wrong, of those sides only Talbot do anything towards juniors and they have had a couple of goes at getting juniors going. Avoca just winge that there isnt any under 14 while Dunolly fired all their shots last year and now struggle in all grades and have forfieted their 3rds a few times. maybe these 2 clubs are still working under the Lexton League structure that you find so good.
The structure needs to be right otherwise it will see kids not playing and will lose more kids rather than gaining them.

Sorry Steader but the spending of money has nothing to do with the Lexton Plains folding. It is geographical and with Natte and Ararat wanting to leave to play in closer leagues it was not viable for the Lexton Plains to function anymore.

Don’t really agree with your other points, although the KMART/Coles theory may have some merit.

I am Ballarat based so that would mean that whatever I say, you will most likely disagree with and most probably vice/versa. So I guess we will agree to disagree.

I guess the problem will never be solved until the VCFL steps in with a review.

Sorry Steader but the spending of money has nothing to do with the Lexton Plains folding. It is geographical and with Natte and Ararat wanting to leave to play in closer leagues it was not viable for the Lexton Plains to function anymore.

Don’t really agree with your other points, although the KMART/Coles theory may have some merit.

I am Ballarat based so that would mean that whatever I say, you will most likely disagree with and most probably vice/versa. So I guess we will agree to disagree.

I guess the problem will never be solved until the VCFL steps in with a review.
We can only hope if we wait on a VCFL review that Brett Anderson has nothing to do with it because little of value comes from his thought process. Further to all this what is going to happen to Trentham who just seem to be shunted along like the lost dog. They had accepted going to the Central Highlands but are now told to get back to the MCDFL and get ready to travel. Very poor handling of this division of teams

The following is from the VCFL recomendation report.

1. The Worksafe VCFL Review Panel recommends that the Natte Bealiba FNC seek a transfer to the Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL for 2011.

2. The Worksafe VCFL Review Panel recommends that the Navarre FNC seek a
transfer to the Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL for 2011.

The Panel has noted the Navarre FNC’s preference that it would be better suited
to a geographical based Western Division of the Central Highlands FNL, however
the feedback received from other CHFL clubs and the CHFL suggests there are no guarantees that such a structure will be formed.

The Panel therefore believes that the Navarre FNC should seek a transfer to the Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL for the 2011 season given it is highly unlikely that a CHFL western division will be available.

3. The WorkSafe VCFL Review Panel recommends that the Trentham FNC should remain within the Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL for the immediate future as there can be no guarantee that the Central Highlands FNL will move to a two tiered structure in 2011.

Should the Central Highlands FNL move to a two tiered structure based on
competitive grounds at some point in the future the Panel would then see this as
a possible option for the Trentham FNC.

4. The WorkSafe VCFL Review Panel acknowledges the junior difficulties being
experienced by some of the western based clubs within the Maryborough
Castlemaine DFNL as a result of the league having no formal U.14 grade of
football.

The VCFL is well aware of the problem which exists due to the fact that
the eastern based clubs have juniors affiliated with the Castlemaine DJFL.

This works well for the eastern based clubs and the three Castlemaine non aligned junior clubs.

Until the senior club movements take place as a result of this Review there is no
easy solution to this problem able to be recommended.

However the WorkSafe VCFL is keen to discuss the matter further with the stakeholders concerned.

In the meantime, the Panel would encourage the continuation of the
Maryborough based Junior Sunday competition and U.14 matches within the
Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL where possible within the league during the
2011 season for the western based clubs.

2011 MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DISTRICT FOOTBALL NETBALL LEAGUE
- Avoca FNC
- Campbell’s Creek FNC
- Carisbrook FNC
- Dunolly FNC
- Harcourt FNC
- Maldon FNC
- Maryborough Rovers FNC
- Natte Bealiba FNC
- Navarre FNC
- Newstead FNC
- Royal Park FNC
- Talbot FNC
- Trentham FNC

6. The grades of football and netball would continue in line with the current
Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL grades.

iii) Football: Seniors, Reserves, U.17, (U.14 where possible)
iv) Netball: Seniors, Reserves, C Grade, U. 17, U.15

The Navarre and Natte Bealiba clubs previously had an Under 12 grade of netball within the Lexton Plains FNL. Although this is an issue that is the responsibility of the Netball component of the Maryborough Castlemaine DFNL the Panelbelieves this is something that could be explored by the Maryborough
Castlemaine DFNL for 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mean to just home in on your comments, Snippers, but most contributors are assuming there are an abundance of kids around to fill teams that are suddenly supposed to appear because it fits in with a wider restructure.

Do you know how hard it is even for Maryborough to field sides in each age group (despite supposedly having some kind of stranglehold on juniors)? Soccer, population stagnation, and apathy have contributed to the situation where there just are not the numbers to what we like with.

If you're suggesting taking whatever kids there are away from MJFC for the sake of filling new teams created without foresight, then be prepared for other areas of the game to suffer greatly at a local level as a result.

Don't mean to just home in on your comments, Snippers, but most contributors are assuming there are an abundance of kids around to fill teams that are suddenly supposed to appear because it fits in with a wider restructure.

Do you know how hard it is even for Maryborough to field sides in each age group (despite supposedly having some kind of stranglehold on juniors)? Soccer, population stagnation, and apathy have contributed to the situation where there just are not the numbers to what we like with.

If you're suggesting taking whatever kids there are away from MJFC for the sake of filling new teams created without foresight, then be prepared for other areas of the game to suffer greatly at a local level as a result.

Agree CB, there may not be a lot of kids around. But the ones that are playing at junior level are playing at MJFC as that is the only option open to them at the moment.

And of course there are those that are playing soccer. If a alternative junior comp is formed this may help to sway some of the soccer kids back or possibly provide an option for those youngsters that are yet to pull on the boots.

Regarding taking kids from the MJFC, It didn’t seem to worry them when they set up the U12 age group up against the local Mini League some years back.

would changing age groups to 12s 15s 18s help?

I would strong favour 18s and 15s. Too many kids at 17 are not ready physically and dont have the skill set to compete in Senior and reserves football and are either battered around in the 2s and lose interest or are just lost to the game. Under 18s would make far more sense.

So we are going to get 2 new teams in our already crowded comp and the CHFL will have 19 teams and potentially not be 2 tiered???? Sounds like a train wreck to me and I can smell that stinking top 6 finals system coming too!

MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DISTRICT FOOTBALL LEAGUE
RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > SENIORS
Round 19 – 21/08/2010

Maldon 19.12 (126) d Carisbrook 10.6 (66)
M/ Rovers 30.15 (195) d Dunolly 3.5 (23)
Harcourt 13.11 (89) d Trentham 11.7 (73)
Newstead 24.16 (160) d Royal Park 4.3 (27)
Avoca 21.20 (146) d Talbot 4.3 (27)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > RESERVES

Avoca 11.15 (81) d Talbot 10.6 (66)
Newstead 7.9 (51) d Royal Park 4.4 (28)
Harcourt 14.9 (93) d Trentham 6.3 (39)
M/ Rovers 18.20 (128) d Dunolly 5.3 (33)
Carisbrook 9.10 (64) d Maldon 8.9 (57)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > U/17

Avoca 8.20 (68) d Talbot 5.3 (33)
Trentham 7.11 (53) d Harcourt 3.5 (23)
M/ Rovers 17.16 (118) d Dunolly 1.2 (8)

So correct me if I'm wrong but are we looking at -
Avoca v Rovers - Saturday
Newstead v Carisbrook - Sunday.
Avoca haven't quite got the job done come September in very recent times so I'm guessing their supporters will be nervous as all supporters are this time of year. That said , if their heads are in the right spot I'll back 'em in against Rovers by 16 points.
Brook will be coming off a 10 goal mauling over at Maldon coming into this do or die clash. Good club Brook as we all know and they have the potential to pinch you in the finals anytime. Newstead deserve the respect though despite being a little shaky through the year on occasions. Last year's Premiers by 22 for this tipster.

Very sensible decision. Don't know if Princes Park will be in any condition to host a final at all. Maybe if they leave it alone for a while they could have the GF there, but where do Maryborough train???

Agree CB, there may not be a lot of kids around. But the ones that are playing at junior level are playing at MJFC as that is the only option open to them at the moment.

And of course there are those that are playing soccer. If a alternative junior comp is formed this may help to sway some of the soccer kids back or possibly provide an option for those youngsters that are yet to pull on the boots.

Regarding taking kids from the MJFC, It didn’t seem to worry them when they set up the U12 age group up against the local Mini League some years back.

With respect, Snippers, there are options. Some clubs' juniors are strong, some are weak, some don't exist. The talent pool is spread too thin.

You must remember that when there was more prosperity in the area and soccer didn't have a presence, there was mini league, 2 MFC junior teams and each MCDFL club had Under 16's. Now that the population is older and smaller, we're supposed to be able to support our own U14 & U17 competitions?

The mini league required 4 teams of boys, plus all the people to run it. It couldn't keep going for those reasons alone. The Bendigo-based junior grades were the best option, even if it was not a perfect fit for everyone.

If you don't want the district to be represented in a major country league then consider what options might be available to young footballers once that avenue ceases to exist.

Do you know how many football-playing Under 18's there are across the Maryborough-region clubs combined? My guess is not enough to fill 2 sides.

I would strong favour 18s and 15s. Too many kids at 17 are not ready physically and dont have the skill set to compete in Senior and reserves football and are either battered around in the 2s and lose interest or are just lost to the game. Under 18s would make far more sense.

I'm not bagging the idea, but there's just no way you would field multiple teams at Under 18 level. In every competition across the country, the drop-off rate at that age is greatest. Around 16 to 18 they find other distractions, regardless of what comp you set up.

Some may be physically lacking at 17, but more often than not they are pretty much able to cope by 16. I really don't think they would be battered around as much as in past years when that was the only choice they had. The increased emphasis on fitness & pace means the players are generally lighter anyway.

Changing U17s to U18s would be very sensible. All Under 17's sides are struggling for numbers and each year more and more sides aren't able to field a side. I saw that even newstead (who have only lost one game for the season) played with only 12 players a couple of weeks ago. Increasing the age would allow all sides to have a larger number of players to field a side from ad make for a stronger and healthier competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.