LVFNL 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

They talk about Heathcote league spending money, What would Bridgewater be paying? Connors would hardly come for a pie and a coke each week. This is why country footy is being screwed up. Salary caps don't work, points system doesn't work. The bigger the budget the better the side, doesn't matter who coaches when you have a budget that is bigger than everyone else. Why would a footballer won't to go from Port Melbourne to the 32nd best league in Victoria when in the prime of your football. $$$$$$$
Maybe he's never won a senior flag before n just wants too win one with his best mates??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you boys underestimate what bringing people of good moral fibre has done for Bridgewater ie. Blokes that are worth 3-4 times what they are payed at Bridgy, being happy to stay and play in a group that has a tight bond and enjoy the success that brings eg Clutton could've gone anywhere for 4x what he gets at Bridgy.

A group of talented locals that play for well under the market rate eg the older Broadbent returned from injury last year, played for incentives only and was probably in the top 5 players in the comp.

A local coach with AFL experience that turned down 45-55k in the GV and other leagues to coach for an average LV playing salary.

As for Connors I heard last night that he's coming to play with a mate he's also good mates with Axel and really enjoyed it up there last year, he understands there not big payers and didn't want to put them under any pressure, It was put to me he'd be on exactly half of what Orr and Bowes got at Serp this year, not a lot for a man of his talent in fact fringe BFL players are commanding similar money elsewhere.

G'day Rocca, sitting on my fat arse and reading some of these good posts and trying not to get involved but I can't help but question 1 point. Its great that Conners is playing with a local club again and probably wants to relax and just enjoy his footy as he likes a good time, so good on him I say. "But" he would be getting good coin and surely the highest paid player in the comp, so saying he is not getting much is wrong mate. Yes he would get more in other comps but would be the highest in this comp that's for sure, and rightly so as has the runs on the board.
For the record- went back to VFL from Local, in the hope of getting another chance at AFL but it didn't work out for him. Has talent but bit lazy maybe..,

G'day Rocca, sitting on my fat arse and reading some of these good posts and trying not to get involved but I can't help but question 1 point. Its great that Conners is playing with a local club again and probably wants to relax and just enjoy his footy as he likes a good time, so good on him I say. "But" he would be getting good coin and surely the highest paid player in the comp, so saying he is not getting much is wrong mate. Yes he would get more in other comps but would be the highest in this comp that's for sure, and rightly so as has the runs on the board.
For the record- went back to VFL from Local, in the hope of getting another chance at AFL but it didn't work out for him. Has talent but bit lazy maybe..,

Turbo all I've heard from someone that I work with that's close to the comittee at B'water is that they'd finished there recruiting and Connors wasn't overly worried it's certainly under a 1000, in his words 'what difference is an extra 6-8 thousand going to make to my life in the long run'
I think it was reasonably well known that blokes at Serp and elsewhere were on 1400+, in the long run if you Bridgewater are sound financially which from all reports they are good luck to them for having the pulling power to attract these blokes.

Turbo all I've heard from someone that I work with that's close to the comittee at B'water is that they'd finished there recruiting and Connors wasn't overly worried it's certainly under a 1000, in his words 'what difference is an extra 6-8 thousand going to make to my life in the long run'
I think it was reasonably well known that blokes at Serp and elsewhere were on 1400+, in the long run if you Bridgewater are sound financially which from all reports they are good luck to them for having the pulling power to attract these blokes.
C'mon Rocca, who are you kidding. You are obviously a hell of a lot closer than what you are letting on. You claim you heard from someone at work on the Committee then you quote Connors in his own words. If, as you say the bloke on the Committee is running around talking about player payments then he's a shi#t bloke who shouldn't be round the joint.
Stop justifying the Connors signing by trying to bring other clubs into it, unless you know Committee men from all the other Clubs?

In all honesty I'm jealous of Bridgey. What I mean by that they have obviously built an era and then last season they get the benefit of an AFL quality player return to his home club to coach. Good on him for doing that and certainly will not knock that for a moment. We all wish we could call on that type of local talent. The added benefit of having such a local talent return is that he obviously forms relationships and friendships with terrific footballers. So naturally he can attract blokes to come and play with him....I don't like it because I am an opposition player and I wish that they would drop off but I won't criticise them...I just feel for the likes of Inglewood..not trying to be patronising here but how do you keep fronting up each season hoping to see some light at the end of the tunnel yet the best just keep getting better

In all honesty I'm jealous of Bridgey. What I mean by that they have obviously built an era and then last season they get the benefit of an AFL quality player return to his home club to coach. Good on him for doing that and certainly will not knock that for a moment. We all wish we could call on that type of local talent. The added benefit of having such a local talent return is that he obviously forms relationships and friendships with terrific footballers. So naturally he can attract blokes to come and play with him....I don't like it because I am an opposition player and I wish that they would drop off but I won't criticise them...I just feel for the likes of Inglewood..not trying to be patronising here but how do you keep fronting up each season hoping to see some light at the end of the tunnel yet the best just keep getting better

Did thurstfield play at all last year and is he any chance of playing this year? It's certainly good for the league attracting these players, bridgy would have two of the best dozen players in the north west vic on the list

I was at Bridgewater in the early 2000's and to be fair the club was getting belted on the field...

But to its credit and the great people involved out at Bridgewater they have worked hard to build a successful and sustainable club that we can be all envious of...

let's not forget they have pumped out some serious junior talent over past few years Lee Coglan is also another local product they could possibly have running about if he wasn't at sandhurst.

Full credit to them, Hopefully the other clubs can catch up to them the league is getting stronger every year

Bridgewater will single handily be the club that breaks the LVFL. Teams spend well over $100k and can't get near them.. how many flags have they won by 100+ points.. Nobody can retain great players because those players see how far their club is away from Bridgy and know that the budget won't stretch far enough to recruit the talent needed. When Calivil won their stretch of flags they were underdogs in the last few and the 3rd best team in a couple of years that won through by knowing what it took. That kept things interesting. Bridgy have dropped a few games over the time but nobody honestly thinks they were challenged

Bridgewater will single handily be the club that breaks the LVFL. Teams spend well over $100k and can't get near them.. how many flags have they won by 100+ points.. Nobody can retain great players because those players see how far their club is away from Bridgy and know that the budget won't stretch far enough to recruit the talent needed. When Calivil won their stretch of flags they were underdogs in the last few and the 3rd best team in a couple of years that won through by knowing what it took. That kept things interesting. Bridgy have dropped a few games over the time but nobody honestly thinks they were challenged
Interesting discussion Claude. What should they do. Should they continue to do all the hard work off season and then finish 2nd so the rest of the comp feel better about themselves or is incumbent on the rest of the comp to do the work and catch up? After all every team starts the year with the same opportunity as each other or is that not the case??

Interesting discussion Claude. What should they do. Should they continue to do all the hard work off season and then finish 2nd so the rest of the comp feel better about themselves or is incumbent on the rest of the comp to do the work and catch up? After all every team starts the year with the same opportunity as each other or is that not the case??[/QUOTE

Any team would do exactly the same but simply it's not any other team. Not all teams start on par because Bridgy are so far ahead and it's obvious clubs can't afford to catch up. Yeah sure it's a combo of strong recruiting, good locals and spending some cash but those are simply the facts.

Agreed but Bridgey didn't just wake up one year and become successful. It happens over time and on the back of good recruiting and hard work. Serp got close 2 years ago and beat Bridgey twice throughout year and should have beat them in the first final. Then come the granny and with a little help from an umpire got very close. They win that game and we aren't having this discussion. They recruit well the following year and they're away again but to bridgeys credit they step up again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back