LVFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

While it's not good calivil copped a 30 goal touch up they did win 6 or 7 premierships in a row at one stage so there's that but the shrinking population of calivil, serp and mitti is a worry, if two amalgamated you could handle it but if 3 did would be a disaster and the population of most towns are shrinking while marongs and Ycw are growing
They had some seriously good local footballers in that team, once those guys retired, there's being no next generation there. Their 3rds are already amalgamated

Could Afew sides merge like calivil,miti, serp etc and join heathcote league
Or cmfl
Bridgewater-newbridge merge and join to
Marong and ycw can go either Bendigo or hdfl

Could Afew sides merge like calivil,miti, serp etc and join heathcote league
Or cmfl
Bridgewater-newbridge merge and join to
Marong and ycw can go either Bendigo or hdfl
That would mean another league has dissolved which is not ideal and would be heaps more travelling, and I've always thought the towns of the merging teams lose their identity to some degree

I've always thought of Loddon valley as a reasonably compact, reasonably even league that has a few problems- like most leagues, lack of population and juniors being right up there, they can afford to lose one team but that's probably about it, you only have to look at golden rivers: they have the bare minimum 6 teams, if any one of them goes the league is finished

If two teams merge, their heritage can be retained either through name or colours. Most mergers have seen club names incorporated into the new name (Minyip-Murtoa, Leitchville-Gunbower), have colours incorporated into the new design and/or also play some matches at their ground each year.

We are going to see more and more teams struggle to stay alive through lack of players and volunteers and it would be better to merge and keep the legacy going and keep football alive in towns rather than keel over. Two clubs in the NCFL have faced the harsh reality and have already announced that this season will be their last as separate entities before merging at the end of the season. They will be the first of a number of clubs doing this Australia-wide over the next nine months.

Glenrowan fell over about 10 years ago and now has no club and instead a rugby league club plays on its ground. Football is lost to the town now.

There are many other examples statewide where all that is left is an abandoned recreation reserve with maybe a couple of posts still standing, many at a 45 degree angle.

Many would agree that at least one league to the west of Bendigo will be lost in the next decade as it is not sustainable for some clubs to carry on beyond the short term. The thirds competition is a clear example - the youth are not progressing to senior football so there will be not enough players to replace the current players that are too old to continue on. The inevitable result is that the club merges or folds. The East Loddon thirds team is not going to be able to sustain three senior clubs on an ongoing basis, pure and simple.

How things will look in the future is up to the clubs, the leagues and the regional council (formerly the CV commission), who so far have yet to come out and tell us anything about future plans. What is their role in relation to football in the region, what areas they intend to look at and will they develop a strategic plan that incorporates all of the football leagues in Central Victoria.

Last edited:
See Adam Pollock played for Maiden Gully today. Would he have one of the greatest collection of jumpers in country vic? Anyone go close? Angus Grigg must have had a few.

See Adam Pollock played for Maiden Gully today. Would he have one of the greatest collection of jumpers in country vic? Anyone go close? Angus Grigg must have had a few.

How is he still running around.

Cohuna, , Wakool, Kerang, Pyramid Hill, Avoca, Dunolly? MGYCW and I’m sure I’m missing an obvious one? Quamby maybe

How is he still running around.

Cohuna, , Wakool, Kerang, Pyramid Hill, Avoca, Dunolly? MGYCW and I’m sure I’m missing an obvious one? Quamby maybe
Leitchy and Campbell's Creek

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back