Long read in the Sun on JB. Take a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good lines on Etihad. And Bang on too.

A: Carl has been involved a lot and has driven that from our club's point of view - he's been an unbelievable addition to our club as managing director - and has driven a lot of our views on equalisation. And as we have discussed a lot of it stems around stadium economics. And I don't blame anyone, by the way. Because in 2025 the AFL is going to pay $30 and own a billion-dollar asset, so we all understand the end game.
But what we don't want is for it to cripple us along the way, and therefore quite rightly the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda and ourselves, Carlton and Essendon have gone to the AFL and said we need to be compensated for in effect purchasing this asset for the 18 clubs.

Someone post the article please? Can't stand the subscription bull crap

Here it is:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...-is-not-done-yet/story-fnelctok-1226755252501

Tip for young players: about 95% of the heraldsun online articles are posted to the parent company site, news.com.au. And it's subscription free. The rest are in the affiliated interstate papers like the courier mail in Brisbane and the advertiser in Adelaide. It stinks that they are shafting Melbourne readers only, but the loophole is laughable.

Right along side the statue of Scanlon there should be a statue of JB. Some may bag him but they are wrong to do so. We owe him a massive debt of gratitude.

Here it is:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...-is-not-done-yet/story-fnelctok-1226755252501

Tip for young players: about 95% of the heraldsun online articles are posted to the parent company site, news.com.au. And it's subscription free. The rest are in the affiliated interstate papers like the courier mail in Brisbane and the advertiser in Adelaide. It stinks that they are shafting Melbourne readers only, but the loophole is laughable.

Theres an easier one, open the hearld sun website article as an, "in private" browsing session, gets past there sign in crap haha

Great article, the Q&A transcript is worth reading.

It may be hard to see how much the club has grown under Brayshaw as we're still within the era, but I get the sense we will look back at what will hopefully be a 9-year term for him post 2016 and get a sense of the achievement then.

We were gone in 2007, you just had to look at Arden Street or a press conference with Laidley discussing the football department budget and you couldn't see a way back.

To be where we are, and where we are on target to be in 2016 is nothing short of amazing.

I've always been proud of North Melbourne as a football team, but it's now a football club worth investing in.

But I remember sitting with Andrew and saying to him 'we've got to earn your respect. We have got to prove to you that we can run this business properly. Once we prove to you that we can run it properly, then I expect your help if we deserve it'.
And to his absolute credit, he looked me in the eye and said, 'mate, when you start running your business properly, we'll give you the help you need'. And they have, and I have no problem at all with anything the AFL has done since, because they have been true to their word.

Would explain our fixtures and the prime time exposure. Great to see tho the AFL realises we are on the right track.

That was a great article to read! :thumbsu: Whilst there is obviously still a lot of work to be done the people responsible for saving the North Melbourne Football Club will forever have my undying gratitude and admiration! And I am proud to say that I was one of the people in attendance at Dallas Brookes Hall THAT night! I will never forget it!

And one last thing.... THANK YOU to Peter Scanlon! You are a superstar! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

A long read, perhaps, but this is the long view. It's the six year match report.

Seriously, just about the best article that's been put out there on the great North Melbourne Football Club in a long while I reckon. Almost a bizarro-Caro article.

Forget the 100ft statue of Jack Ziebell, we need ones for Scanlon and for Brayshaw who, naturally enough, is conspicuously not a major subject of the article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it funny how he praised Carl for all the equalisation work, but didn't mention Euge once.

He was the real pitbull who took that issue up to the AFL, we also have him to thank in a large part for the magnificent facility we have at Arden St now.

Interesting article anyhow.

Thought it funny how he praised Carl for all the equalisation work, but didn't mention Euge once.

He was the real pitbull who took that issue up to the AFL, we also have him to thank in a large part for the magnificent facility we have at Arden St now.

Interesting article anyhow.

Was very careful when it came to Euge, just said he respected his work and did what he had to do at the time he was CEO of North Melbourne.

A long read, perhaps, but this is the long view. It's the six year match report.

Seriously, just about the best article that's been put out there on the great North Melbourne Football Club in a long while I reckon. Almost a bizarro-Caro article.

Forget the 100ft statue of Jack Ziebell, we need ones for Scanlon and for Brayshaw who, naturally enough, is conspicuously not a major subject of the article.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong put War & Peace on the subject of Ziebell in front of me and i'll read it, but if we are comparing apples & apples this feature piece was far more interesting & content rich.

Exactly the type of news that should get the blood pumping of any barracker out there thinking of jumping on board the membership bandwagon.

Also, the pump JB gave Benny Buckley caught my eye.:thumbsu:

Quality story.

How good would it be to be debt free.
Kudos to Scanlon for saving the club.

Only one mention of Luke mac :([/quote]

Damn. Surely could have been mentioned 10 or 15 times.

Who is Scanlon? Quick couple of lines anyone?

Worked closely with John Elliott at Elders, now a property developer.

Also uses his wealth and position to drive a lot of community development programs.

Theres an easier one, open the hearld sun website article as an, "in private" browsing session, gets past there sign in crap haha
lol
Whenever I read the age or sun on google chrome, I do a little de-de-de dramatic sound in my head as i open up NEW INCOGNITO WINDOW.

And im a grown man. Shame.

Great read.

We owe so so much to both JB and Scanlon.

This is what North Melbourne is about, this is more than just a club.

Interesting piece of early election PR:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-is-not-done-yet/story-fni5f22o-1226755252501

Amongst it, the commitment around recognising relocation and mergers in the constitution. Limerick is this actually a commitment? Would be a good tie off for the last three years of JB's reign.

Well worth the read and a good reminder of where we were.

Yes JB made this comment a couple of times last year. The issue for me is what is the definition of "relocation". Fair to say it won't be a "member vote required for playing more than 4 home games outside of Victoria" however if it does require a member vote at some other point then its a step in the right direction. We will just have to wait and see. Its great that he still has the commitment to some level of change with this issue.

At the rate we're canonising club stalwarts we may as well go the whole hog and have all of their heads carved into Mt Macedon, Mt Rushmore style.

Great read BTW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back