Analysis List Management 2018 predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unfortunately for some of those players on the list we are reaching the point of the year where their services are no longer required. If we are to fit potentially 2 trade / FA players plus have some draft picks I think a minimum of 5 changes will need to be had.

Out
Scott Thompson
- Retired

These players are in trouble
Cam Ellis Yolman
- Never seemed to cement his spot. Could be safe if we are unable to snare a mid in the trade period but I think he is gone anyway. Need to put games into Poholke and Gallucci

Harry Dear - Could surprise and be kept on due to the old philosophy big men take a long time to develop.

Jonathon Beech - unlucky but at 27 its unlikely he is capable of making an impact long term on our list. Was worth the experiment but looks far from our best 22.

Dean Gore - Horrible trade decision by the club. Looks one that is gone.

Harrison Wigg - If he survives I wonder what the club is doing. He should have been played by now if he was going to survive beyond this year.

Here's the list of players who are currently uncontracted for 2018 (taken from the AFC Contracts thread).

Jake Kelly - Re-sign
Jake Lever - Re-sign if possible, trade if he demands it
Riley Knight - Re-sign
Andy Otten - Re-sign for 12-months, or release as UFA
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen - Delist, possibly re-drafted in the RD as charity due to current knee injury
Tom Doedee - Re-sign
Dean Gore - Delist
Mitch McGovern - Re-sign if possible, trade if he demands it
Scott Thompson - Retirement already announced
Harrison Wigg - Delist
Kyle Cheney - Re-sign for 12-months
Paul Hunter (R) - Delist
Jonathon Beech (R) - Delist
Ben Jarman (R) - Re-sign for 12-months

Charlie Cameron is contracted for 2018, but is rumoured to be requesting a trade to Brisbane for family reasons.

Unfortunately for some of those players on the list we are reaching the point of the year where their services are no longer required. If we are to fit potentially 2 trade / FA players plus have some draft picks I think a minimum of 5 changes will need to be had.

Out
Scott Thompson
- Retired

These players are in trouble
Cam Ellis Yolman
- Never seemed to cement his spot. Could be safe if we are unable to snare a mid in the trade period but I think he is gone anyway. Need to put games into Poholke and Gallucci

Harry Dear - Could surprise and be kept on due to the old philosophy big men take a long time to develop.

Jonathon Beech - unlucky but at 27 its unlikely he is capable of making an impact long term on our list. Was worth the experiment but looks far from our best 22.

Dean Gore - Horrible trade decision by the club. Looks one that is gone.

Harrison Wigg - If he survives I wonder what the club is doing. He should have been played by now if he was going to survive beyond this year.

Try to trade Dear for nothing. Maybe offer CEY a spot on the rookie list and delist all the others.

Harry Dear is contracted for 2018, unlikely to be cut this year.

Sam Shaw will be cut from the rookie list, now that the new AFLPA CBA has been signed off.

As I mentioned with Dear, the club may have him on paper as a long term replacement for JJ. Big players have a history of taking a long time to develop.

Yes.

Gore, Wigg and Beech are finished. CEY should be delisted too but re-rookied.

Whats the depth like in the draft? If Adelaide have no intention of drafting anyone past pick 60 I would say, yes rookie CEY maybe even Wigg. However if the depth looks like it goes deep some project players may be tempting.

Whats the depth like in the draft? If Adelaide have no intention of drafting anyone past pick 60 I would say, yes rookie CEY maybe even Wigg. However if the depth looks like it goes deep some project players may be tempting.

Good idea to rookie Wigg as well if he can't get another gig. What about some more Cat-B rookies. Any out there? That is where the good stuff is apparently ;)

Good idea to rookie Wigg as well if he can't get another gig. What about some more Cat-B rookies. Any out there? That is where the good stuff is apparently ;)

Going on the success of Keath, I am willing to bet that several clubs will look to sign talented footballers who have chosen cricket as this long term rookie, where the player can chase cricket for as long as they like until it seems unlikely that they will make the grade. I can see this happening with a lot of sports where the player was a talented footballer. The Crows should chase Sutherland as a starter. Who knows, at 22 he may want to swap back to footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see a whole lot of point in rookie listing Wigg. They obviously don't rate him, and have no intention of selecting him. He either gets a new contract, and stays on the senior list, or gets delisted. My money is on the latter.

Bit of a chicken or egg scenario. I am looking at how many vacancies they need to make first, ie,
Greenwood,
Trade (Rocklift:D)
1st round
2nd round. only if we get one before pick 30. (CC) Not much after 30
Edwards
Keath - if he continues improving each week.
Therefore,
list spot 40 spot for Greenwood upgrade
Thommo for Trade
Gore for 1st round
Wigg for Edwards
CC for 2nd round
CEY for Keath
Cheney not safe either but could be last signed or end up on Rookie list
Rookies Clean the house all barr Jarman
R1- Jarman
R2- CEY
R3- Ruck could be Hunter if there is no one better
R4- Spec Tall is a Possible.

However that all Changes if Lever or McGovern Move on.

I don't see a whole lot of point in rookie listing Wigg. They obviously don't rate him, and have no intention of selecting him. He either gets a new contract, and stays on the senior list, or gets delisted. My money is on the latter.

Agree on your point that they obviously don't rate him. For mine the rookie list is a break glass in case of emergency list anyway. So if we did have to call on them then we could do worse than Wigg. Seems to be similar to Beech in that he is good at SANFL level but not good enough to be an AFL player. We could go and get someone else, but at least Wigg knows our game style in and out. If he can get picked up by another AFL club then he should do that and we wont stand in his way. But if not, then it probably still benefits him to stay on our rookie list.

We shouldn't waste a spot on our main list though. We are better off going one short and using the extra TPP on somebody else, or to save some % to use the next year.

Bit of a chicken or egg scenario. I am looking at how many vacancies they need to make first, ie,
Greenwood,
Trade (Rocklift:D)
1st round
2nd round. only if we get one before pick 30. (CC) Not much after 30
Edwards
Keath - if he continues improving each week.
Therefore,
list spot 40 spot for Greenwood upgrade
Thommo for Trade
Gore for 1st round
Wigg for Edwards
CC for 2nd round
CEY for Keath
Cheney not safe either but could be last signed or end up on Rookie list
Rookies Clean the house all barr Jarman
R1- Jarman
R2- CEY
R3- Ruck could be Hunter if there is no one better
R4- Spec Tall is a Possible.

However that all Changes if Lever or McGovern Move on.

I wish people would stop fantasy trading CC out of the club. Its just a rumour for crying out loud. There is much more chance that Gov or Lever leaves. Don't we still have our own 2nd rounder by the way?

Agree on your point that they obviously don't rate him. For mine the rookie list is a break glass in case of emergency list anyway. So if we did have to call on them then we could do worse than Wigg. Seems to be similar to Beech in that he is good at SANFL level but not good enough to be an AFL player. We could go and get someone else, but at least Wigg knows our game style in and out. If he can get picked up by another AFL club then he should do that and we wont stand in his way. But if not, then it probably still benefits him to stay on our rookie list.

We shouldn't waste a spot on our main list though. We are better off going one short and using the extra TPP on somebody else, or to save some % to use the next year.
I guess it depends on how weak this draft really is. Last year they couldn't find a single player they wanted to take in the Rookie Draft, besides Jarman. If this year's draft is as bad, then there may be a case for having Wigg on the rookie list. That said, if they've made up their minds that he's never going to be good enough, then what's the point in keeping him around? Surely they would be better off just cutting their losses?

With another pre-season under their belt, Poholke & Gallucci should be moving further ahead of Wigg than they already are. Fingers crossed we get at least one of Rockliff & Gibbs. The case for retaining Wigg just keeps looking weaker and weaker, even on the rookie list.

I guess it depends on how weak this draft really is. Last year they couldn't find a single player they wanted to take in the Rookie Draft, besides Jarman. If this year's draft is as bad, then there may be a case for having Wigg on the rookie list. That said, if they've made up their minds that he's never going to be good enough, then what's the point in keeping him around? Surely they would be better off just cutting their losses?

With another pre-season under their belt, Poholke & Gallucci should be moving further ahead of Wigg than they already are. Fingers crossed we get at least one of Rockliff & Gibbs. The case for retaining Wigg just keeps looking weaker and weaker, even on the rookie list.

Oh I have well and truly written Wigg off. We should use the rookie list for emergencies only. I doubt he will ever play a game of AFL football for us even if he is rookie listed. I think CEY pretty much covers that position anyway. We do need a new ruck prospect. Any more Preuss's running around in rugby land?

I wish people would stop fantasy trading CC out of the club. Its just a rumour for crying out loud. There is much more chance that Gov or Lever leaves. Don't we still have our own 2nd rounder by the way?
Do me a favour and check with your resources, There is a family issue the only question, is it bad enough to request a trade 1-year early or wait until 2018. or not a big enough issue to worry about.
Now in saying that are we better trading him this year with one year left or next year with Brisbane holding all the cards.

It's just a rumour, but it seems to be coming from multiple sources - and Cameron's performances lately have been disinterested, as if something was weighing on his mind.

I'd say he's the most likely to leave, followed by Lever, with McGovern a distant 3rd. That's just my guess, not based on much other than what I read around the traps.

Do me a favour and check with your resources, There is a family issue the only question, is it bad enough to request a trade 1-year early or wait until 2018. or not a big enough issue to worry about.
Now in saying that are we better trading him this year with one year left or next year with Brisbane holding all the cards.

I dont have any sources. But its still just a rumour isnt it. Has it been confirmed by anyone? Even if it is true, doesn't mean that the club aren't working on helping him through the issues. We are in a window. I would rather we kept him for next year and lost him for nothing than trade him for pick 30.

The club should attempt to trade Wigg to Port. He would fit well in their side.
CEY is gone. Gore is gone.

Knight needs to be resigned, he is a bit off the radar but may seek opportunities in the midfield elsewhere. Apparently the club has offered peanuts and he isn't too pleased.

The club should attempt to trade Wigg to Port. He would fit well in their side.
CEY is gone. Gore is gone.

Knight needs to be resigned, he is a bit off the radar but may seek opportunities in the midfield elsewhere. Apparently the club has offered peanuts and he isn't too pleased.

They have a similar player in Bonnor that they are already persisting in not playing, so I think they would pass. I would retain Wigg on a 1-year contract. Has shown enough that he may be good enough to break into the senior side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back