Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Schultz contracted when he was traded to collingwood for a 1st rounder + #34 ?

"Fremantle forward Lachie Schultz has inked a two-year contract extension at Fremantle that will see him at the Club until at least the end of the 2023 season.

The above is the only info i found

I stand to be corrected if he had extended
Schultz was contracted when he requested his move back.

No its upto the club trying to trade him in to get the pick thats suitable for the trade if they dont hold that pick

Somewhat true - it's also up to the club with the uncontacted player to sign the player up if they are wanting to control negotiations and all the variables leaning their way in the way you seem to want it...

You should be praying you'll be dealing with West Coast and not hard ass Freo.

Somewhat true - it's also up to the club with the uncontacted player to sign the player up if they are wanting to control negotiations and all the variables leaning their way in the way you seem to want it...

Freo is not a hard ass on any trade unless they play for us and are contracted. They would absolutely get a better deal with choosing Freo than WC purely because of the picks each team will have

Freo is not a hard ass on any trade unless they play for us and are contracted. They would absolutely get a better deal with choosing Freo than WC purely because of the picks each team will have

I think it depends how your year goes - if you are pushing top 4 a (youngish) vet like Baker could be just what the doctor ordered. If not I'm not so sure.

Another consideration would be what other trade targets you may have in terms of bolstering your forward line.
Tough nosed defence isn't exactly your weakness right now is it.

I think it depends how your year goes - if you are pushing top 4 a (youngish) vet like Baker could be just what the doctor ordered. If not I'm not so sure.

Another consideration would be what other trade targets you may have in terms of bolstering your forward line.
Tough nosed defence isn't exactly your weakness right now is it.
i don’t think that all matters, Daniels wouldn’t be as strong as he has been with Freo wanting him if it wasn’t true. Baker is worth something in the teens IMO which we’ll have and WC won’t and still needing an influx of younger elite players, will not move down the order to pick up a 27 year old so it will be a second round pick or bust for Richmond.

Freo have the picks in the right range and deal fairly.

I think it’s all redundant anyway because I’m still confident WC aren’t that keen because rebuilding lists don’t spend top 30 picks on 27 year olds, like I challenge you to find me an example of it happening in the last 10 years. The Busslingers are who WC will be putting time and effort into

i don’t think that all matters, Daniels wouldn’t be as strong as he has been with Freo wanting him if it wasn’t true. Baker is worth something in the teens IMO which we’ll have and WC won’t and still needing an influx of younger elite players, will not move down the order to pick up a 27 year old so it will be a second round pick or bust for Richmond.

Freo have the picks in the right range and deal fairly.

I think it’s all redundant anyway because I’m still confident WC aren’t that keen because rebuilding lists don’t spend top 30 picks on 27 year olds, like I challenge you to find me an example of it happening in the last 10 years. The Busslingers are who WC will be putting time and effort into
Ryan Daniels has been right more than he has been wrong when he repeats information he believes to be true. ie rumours. So the opposite of most afl journos.

West Coast could probably get Baker quite easily, maybe like a F4.

Then they just need to offer Jack Graham a contract that will trigger a Band 1 compensation pick

I really am very comfortable with which club Baker selects (hopefully its Richmond)
Clubs dont go out to screw each other and pay the market price and for Baker its roughly #10-#15 range

If its freo they have the assets to do a straight trade
If its Eagles they know what the price will be and will find the required pick or trade their 2nd +F2

There wont be bargains or rip offs specially with Matty Clarke as we probably know best and he doesnt stuff around when trading and just pays whats the cost of the player and as seen with Taranto/Hopper trades
If anything we were always critical he over paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you have considered carlton to be rebuilding when they traded for Saad , Cerra , McGovern
North with Polec St Kilda with Hill , and that Sydney bloke i forgot his name

Would you have considered carlton to be rebuilding when they traded for Saad , Cerra , McGovern
North with Polec St Kilda with Hill , and that Sydney bloke i forgot his name
The only one over 25 there is Saad and they had their core by then so no, not rebuilding

Ironicly you might just get the exact same pick Collingwood gave Freo for Schultz. 😉
If that ends up being the case that would be a fantastic all round result for freo in terms of what we end up with from the Shultz trade. Considering we got Collingwood's 2023 2nd rounder that we used in combination with a future 3rd rounder to end up with Cooper Simpson in effect the Shultz trade would end up being Shultz and our 2024 third rounder for Simpson and Baker. In my opinion afer watching Cooper's debut tonight the Shultz trade could end up being one of the best trades in our history.

Last edited:
West Coast could probably get Baker quite easily, maybe like a F4.

Then they just need to offer Jack Graham a contract that will trigger a Band 1 compensation pick
No way would the AFL sign off on that, band 1 was like 780k for McKay last year? would be 900k after this years cap rise

Thats double what Graham is worth

No way would the AFL sign off on that, band 1 was like 780k for McKay last year? would be 900k after this years cap rise

Thats double what Graham is worth
The AFL signed off on Essendon paying McKay 1.5 million this year.

They clearly couldn't care less about teams gaming the system.

People arguing he is worth less because he is the out of contract angle is really silly.
Whoever Baker chooses a fair deal will be done.

Most clubs act appropriately at the trade table & don't want to burn bridges for future trades.

For instance do ppl really believe Harley Reid is worth less if he was out of contract but not a free agent? the answer is no.

People arguing he is worth less because he is the out of contract angle is really silly.

Most clubs act appropriately at the trade table & don't want to burn bridges for future trades.

For instance do really believe Harley Reid is worth less if he was out of contract but not a free agent? the answer is no.
Thats not how it works mate, you always have less leverage if theyre out of contract. Its not about what the players worth, its that the original club risks getting nothing so cant be so hard at the trade table

For instance do ppl really believe Harley Reid is worth less if he was out of contract but not a free agent? the answer is no.
That’s literally always been a factor in trade value 😂

Its more that you have to pay overs for someone in contract, so people comparing his trade to someone in contract doesn't make sense as its generally overs for a contracted player.

It's all relative

I agree with this

The only one factor is Bakers age. 26 going on 27. He might have 4 quality years left. There is no way you hand over an early first for him as you could get a player for the next 12 years at your club.

He is definitely a positional need for Freo and a late first should do it with a junk pick heading back. He will also take up a fair bit of cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back