Lets talk Athletics

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably traded before the deadline...

Doubt it. He's not a free agent until 2029, according to Baseball Reference, and he was the centre-piece of the Murphy trade, so I think the A's want to build around him for the long term.

Honestly, the best outcome would be for this deal to fall through, Rob Manfred and the other owners to get fed up with Fisher's broken promises and lack of progress on a stadium deal, and collectively "pressure" him to sell the team. And then we get an owner who actually cares about the team and it's fans.

I know Kotsay has not been given a lot to work with, but I don't think he's covered himself in glory this season. His management of the pitching has contributed to the meltdowns. Saw a statistic posted to Twitter yesterday that the A's are winless so far this season if they lead in the seventh inning. That's an indictment on the management. The A's starters don't have a win in 27 straight attempts.

I know Kotsay has not been given a lot to work with, but I don't think he's covered himself in glory this season. His management of the pitching has contributed to the meltdowns. Saw a statistic posted to Twitter yesterday that the A's are winless so far this season if they lead in the seventh inning. That's an indictment on the management. The A's starters don't have a win in 27 straight attempts.
It's also an indictment on the bullpen which is I think is league-worst, but I agree Kotsay hasn't been super impressive. You just know Bob Melvin would've had a few more wins in the same situation.

There was a game against the Mets, Shintaro starting. His first two starts he had been a disaster, giving up multiple runs. But against the Mets he pitched 6 innings, did a great job, giving the team a 2-1 lead. Confidence restored, you'd think. But what did Kotsay do? Sent him out in the 7th, he gave up a home run then a walk which meant he ended up taking the loss when the Mets scored the go-ahead run. Just dumb management.

Anyway I think what Kotsay will be judged on at the end of the season is player development. If the younger players show real improvement over the season I think Kotsay gets a pass mark from his bosses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Oakland A's have signed a "binding agreement" with Bally's Gaming & Leisure Properties to build a stadium on the site of the Tropicana hotel along the Las Vegas Strip. Bally's Corp announced on Monday (US time) for a 30,000 seat stadium on the 35 acre site. The project is expected to cost $1.5 billion, and the A's will request nearly $400 million in public money from the Nevada Legislature to help fund the project.

The A's had previously signed an agreement to acquire land on which to build a stadium on the other side of Interstate 15 which runs alongside the Strip, and they were expected to ask for up to $500 million in public funds. It appears that this is no longer an option for the A's.

From bad to worse. Watching Mason Miller light up the radar gun was one of the few bright spots of a shithouse season, even if he did end up getting knocked around a bit. On the shelf indefinitely with a "mild UCL sprain" (noting that a torn UCL requires Tommy John surgery to repair).

A's have tentatively reached a deal with the Nevada legislature over a funding deal for the construction of a new stadium in Las Vegas.

In summary, the Nevada legislature have tentatively agreed to provide approximately $380 million in public funding for the project, comprising $180 million from the State of Nevada in transferable tax credits, with $90 million to be repaid over time from stadium revenue. Up to $125 million will come from Clark County in the form of bonds and another $25 million for infrastructure improvements. There will also be a 30-year property tax exemption issued by the county, valued at $55 million.

This deal, although agreed in principle, needs to be approved by the legislature formally, with filing potentially happening this week (Wednesday US time). If it gets through the legislature, it must then be approved and signed by the Nevada governor, Joe Lombardo. MLB's relocation committee will also need to sign off on the deal. The site is close enough to Las Vegas' Harry Reid International Airport to require approval from the Federal Aviation Administration before construction can begin.

Three Australians have pitched for the A's during my time as a fan. Travis Blackley, Grant Balfour and Liam Hendriks. Hoping that Bjay Cooke becomes the first Australian position player to play for the A's, though he has a long way to go, since he's currently hitting .161 in 126 plate appearances at Single-A ball, although he did hit a grand slam against the Grizzlies on Saturday to help secure a 7-2 win for the Stockton Ports.

I’m Cubs through and through, but the As are my AL side I like most. I’ll always remember when Grant Balfour the Aussie was closer and came out to ‘one’ by Metallica

I was watching MLB.TV the other week, a Tampa Bay game, and someone in the crowd caught a foul ball. The commentators were applauding the crowd catch and the camera panned in - it was Grant Balfour!

Since this aired a few weeks ago the As have been the hottest team in the MLB with a 7 game winning streak (just like in Major League the movie), but have only improved to 19-50. 😔

Reverse boycott was held yesterday with 27k coming along, on the same day that Nevada passed a key bill supporting the stadium.

A 2-1 win over the best team in baseball now has move the As to the 2nd worst team behind Kansas City

Reverse boycott was held yesterday with 27k coming along, on the same day that Nevada passed a key bill supporting the stadium.

A 2-1 win over the best team in baseball now has move the As to the 2nd worst team behind Kansas City

Interesting article, especially the comments from the Oakland Mayor. I don't think the City of Oakland can be entirely absolved of blame in this whole farce. Oakland has seen the Raiders move to Las Vegas, the Warriors move to San Francisco and now seem to be on the verge of losing the A's to Las Vegas. This might all be a coincidence, but I do think (based on what I've read from people local to Oakland) that the City does not prioritise retaining their local sport teams. This may not be a bad thing, depending on one's priorities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back