League One, League Two and The Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

The return game was too early. I knew I’d be too busy with work to wait all day for the result so I dared fate. There was a distinct woo hoo to be heard at about 7.00am. Sorry Bob I forgot about my black armband in a moment of elation.

The final result was 0-0. It means the goal scored by Maguire in the first leg was the diff between the two teams. This was the first game of the season where Sunderland failed to score.

Sunderland’s best player was it’s goalkeeper. A couple of great saves by Jon McLaughlin denied Old Pompey. Jon McLaughlin has been fantastic this season. I’m so grateful that Sunderland finally landed a GK who’s above average.

Sunderland played Portsmouth on five occasions this season. I think it worked out 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. They got us in a penalty shoot out at Wembley but we got them today.

There is some bad blood between the teams and the fans. It led to Luke O’Nien being punched by a fan at today’s game when he got too near to the fence during the game. The fan also tried to get at Lee Cattermole in the same incident. The game was actually stopped for a period as a result.

It's likely that Charlton Athletic will be the other play off team. The final is on 27/5/19. All roads lead to London. Haway the Lads.

Surprised it finished 0-0, really thought there would be goals. Sunderland well set up by the coach and held their shape well. Definitely having some older experienced heads in there was a big help in doing that. Pompey disappointing though. Played like a typical lower division team, huffed and puffed but achieved little. Got frustrated and they lacked ideas on how to break you guys down.

Charlton's result must give you confidence seeing that they leaked four goals over the two legs. Still think you go in as underdogs and good luck at Wembley.

RUOK Robbo?
I’m fine. I’m time poor at the minute. The election job continues however the signal in Truganina is 3G most of the time. It’s like being trapped in this dystopian universe where the people of Australia has just given the most inept Government in my living memory another three years. Of course, I’m dreaming as that couldn’t happen.

I watched the match last night on Bien Sports and 2-1 was a fair result. Charlton scored all three goals. The own goal howler happened in the fifth minute and proves the professionals can be an inept as park footballers. It was one all at half time. The winner itself came in the last thirty seconds of regular time. It was like Carlton’s loss to Gold Coast. It was snatched away when extra time appeared the likely next stage of the game. Sunderland were average at best all over the park. Not one player could be happy with their performance.

So I had a great 12 hours yesterday with Carlton and Sunderland losing.

I’m not disappointed in another season in League One. The club has come back from the depths of despair and should be bigger and stronger next season.

Haway the Lads.

Let’s expand the thread title and invite all supporters of clubs in these three divisions. I don’t think anyone will object If you throw in a non-league team for comment as grass roots football is the bedrock of the game.

Charlton were the better team and they did well to recover from the early calamity. Think if Sunderland got to 2-0 then that would have knocked the stuffing out of them.

It's a real downer when the winner came so late but Sunderland would be very disappointed with their defending. Obviously no communication with two Charlton players unmarked at the far post. The scorer had a clear header and even had time to get to the rebound. Only needed one defender near the penalty spot but they are all ball watching and seemingly unaware of the players out the back.

For next season can't see any of the relegated teams threatening. Sunderland and Pompey should be thereabouts if they keep and improve their squads. Less draws as well. But there is usually a surprise team that nobody expects up there as we proved this season.

Sunderland.jpg

I’m fine. I’m time poor at the minute. The election job continues however the signal in Truganina is 3G most of the time. It’s like being trapped in this dystopian universe where the people of Australia has just given the most inept Government in my living memory another three years. Of course, I’m dreaming as that couldn’t happen.

I watched the match last night on Bien Sports and 2-1 was a fair result. Charlton scored all three goals. The own goal howler happened in the fifth minute and proves the professionals can be an inept as park footballers. It was one all at half time. The winner itself came in the last thirty seconds of regular time. It was like Carlton’s loss to Gold Coast. It was snatched away when extra time appeared the likely next stage of the game. Sunderland were average at best all over the park. Not one player could be happy with their performance.

So I had a great 12 hours yesterday with Carlton and Sunderland losing.

I’m not disappointed in another season in League One. The club has come back from the depths of despair and should be bigger and stronger next season.

Haway the Lads.
I watched the game live Robbo, and tbh like you I felt that on the balance of play Charlton were deserved winners. I thought that your boys might have been a tad more ambitious after the opening goal, as Charlton were rocking and potentially there for the taking.

Anyway, I’m glad to hear that you’re not too devastated by the result, and that you feel that your club is now on a firmer foundation moving forward.

G'day Robbo - rough end to the season for your lads. I go for Liverpool in EPL but Plymouth Argyle in the lower leagues so I had a rough ending to my season as well. Don't know if you're familiar with it (or if it may drudge up too many bad memories) but Netflix had a great documentary of last season's relegation campaign from behind the scenes in Sunderland. Gave me a lot of appreciation for what the team and fans have gone through.

G'day Robbo - rough end to the season for your lads. I go for Liverpool in EPL but Plymouth Argyle in the lower leagues so I had a rough ending to my season as well. Don't know if you're familiar with it (or if it may drudge up too many bad memories) but Netflix had a great documentary of last season's relegation campaign from behind the scenes in Sunderland. Gave me a lot of appreciation for what the team and fans have gone through.
Yes I watched it. Excellent doco.

Lee Barry Cattermole has left Sunderland after 10 years. He still had a couple of years left on his contract so I’m hoping he left the money behind as well. This will mean Sunderland can sign a number of League 1 players to replace him. Catts is a polarising figure. I was never a fan but I wish him the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all starts again this weekend. Sunderland at home to Oxford United.

There’s been the usual turnover of the squad. Cattermole, Oviedo and Honeyman leaving frees up wages for potential signings.

I’ll get around to the new arrivals as the season progresses.

There’s no doubt that Sunderland needs to improve in all areas of the game. Better defenders, better midfielders and better forwards. Sunderland needs to win more games, not just get results (aka draws) to qualify for automatic promotion. We need a striker to stand up and score 20+ goals.

Us v Middlesbrough 3-3, entertaining to watch. Could easily have been more with all the chances missed. Boro also missed a penalty. Not a good night for our new goalkeeper and record signing. Big clanger for one goal and question marks over him for the other two. Can't really fathom the reasoning for his transfer as the goalkeeper we had last season was good and he was on the bench.

Really good start for QPR overnight, with a 2-1 victory away at Stoke.
Our former manager Nathan Jones there now. Don't think it will be long before he's given the full confidence of the board. Good chance of being one of the first managers sacked this season.

The Tractor Boys are ploughing into Sunderland and lead 1-0 at half-time. The Portman Road crew were relegated from The Championship in 18/19. If Sunderland lose today the lunatic fringe (which in fact is a considerable % of supporters) will go apeshit. And to think it’s only the second game of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back