Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the James signing. He's an above average (probably a top 10) C in the league who is very durable (just 3 games missed the last 3 years) and just 26 years old.

In terms of his salary, as a percentage of the cap in 2023 his number was a shade over 3.06%. That figure is going to be fairly similar to his cap number (as a percentage) for this season coming. So imo the value is there given teams typically have to pay a premium in free agency.

He doesn't have great play strength but definitely fits the wide zone scheme that Getsy and James Cregg will be installing. Also means Dylan Parham will stay at left guard, and hence only need to fill RG and RT as starters.

Reckon we’ll regret this one.
They paid up for him. Given we went 3-1 without him I can see why we didnt pay that for him. We can get a decent RB at a lot cheaper, and Zeus is still there.

Minshew in to compete with AO4 I guess.

They paid up for him. Given we went 3-1 without him I can see why we didnt pay that for him. We can get a decent RB at a lot cheaper, and Zeus is still there.

Minshew in to compete with AO4 I guess.
Loved Minshew at WSU.

Two year deal seems overkill. Trade up and gets Daniels.

If Wilkins plays to the form of last season the Raiders DL will be one of the best in football. Great start to free agency for Telesco.

Minshew was probably the best bridge QB out there - the guarantees on his contract suggest he will be a 1 year bridge guy at the most. It certainly won't stop the Raiders from targeting a QB in the draft.

Disappointed to lose Eluemunor. Also seems like Telesco read the market correctly with respect to guards, as his re-signing of Andre James appears to be a bargain compared to some of the contracts we are seeing on the interior offensive line so far.

Fascinated to see where they pivot to next. I hope it's one of either an offensive lineman, another interior DL, a linebacker (like Patrick Queen) or a corner (Steven Nelson, Stephon Gilmore).

Reckon we’ll regret this one.

At 12M per year it's just too excessive - and I'm a big Jacobs fan.

Zamir White averaged 97 yards per game on the ground in the final 4 games of the season. I don't think Jacobs will be missed as much as some think.

A big upgrade at LB would also be really nice. We have fired a few blanks over the years with FA LBs, but got some okay production last year. Adding a piece, like Chewy said, Queen like, would be good.

Loved Minshew at WSU.

] In his next game, Minshew was 17 of 29 with 201 yards and two touchdowns in a 20–16 comeback victory over the Oakland Raiders, the last game to be played in the Oakland Coliseum, and he described seeing "more middle fingers today than I have in my whole life" after steering Jacksonville towards victory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nichols and Tillery both gone. The last few draftees haven't come on. Reckon we need at least one more

They played allow Tillery, Nichols, John Jenkins and Adam Butler on the interior last year.

Having Wilkins play a large majority of snaps means they only need 3 guys for these roles as opposed to 4, though they may still end up signing another 3 guys at this position.

I really would like to re-sign Adam Butler and John Jenkins personally.

Reckon Nix fpr Raiders, similar mold to Minshew
This is a very good observation. Not sure I like Nix in the first but if hes there in the second could see it for sure.

This is a very good observation. Not sure I like Nix in the first but if hes there in the second could see it for sure.

If we assume the top 3 QBs go 1,2,3 in the draft, that leaves McCarthy, Nix and Penix as the next top three QBs. Teams who need a QB ahead of the Raiders at 13 include the Giants, Broncos and Vikings.

I could see Nix going in the top 10 tbh.

I think if the Raiders don't trade up, they're most likely going to be in a position whereby if they want a QB of the future, the only one available to them at 13 may be Penix.

If we assume the top 3 QBs go 1,2,3 in the draft, that leaves McCarthy, Nix and Penix as the next top three QBs. Teams who need a QB ahead of the Raiders at 13 include the Giants, Broncos and Vikings.

I could see Nix going in the top 10 tbh.

I think if the Raiders don't trade up, they're most likely going to be in a position whereby if they want a QB of the future, the only one available to them at 13 may be Penix.
Wow reacting to Nix going top 10. Surely not, would be a colossal reach. Penix is interesting, I could see Seattle taking him at their pick if hes available with Grubb coming over from Washington as their OC. More confident Penix goes first round than Nix. Denver might get desperate though and reach for Nix. 2 year deal for Minshew feels like you guys pass on QB in round 1, assess things round 2. Those are just my thoughts in general, maybe im very wrong however.

Last edited:
If you talking vikings or raiders trade up to end of first like ravens did with lamar. I be ok with Pennix or Nix (not really his a bust) just not at 13.

Last edited:
Wow reacting to Nix going top 10. Surely not, would be a colossal reach. Penix is interesting, I could see Seattle taking him at their pick if hes available with Grubb coming over from Washington as their OC. More confident Penix goes first round than Nix. Denver might get desperate though and reach for Nix. 2 year deal for Minshew feels like you guys pass on QB in round 1, assess things round 2. Those are just my thoughts in general, maybe im very wrong however.

The 2 year deal for Minshew only contains 15M in guarantees - so the majority of guaranteed money will be in year 1 and they'll easily be able to move on next year if they so choose. Signing Minshew doesn't preclude them from drafting a QB in round 1 - not at all.

This team is built to win now. Top 10 D with some truly elite players at their respective positions (Crosby and Wilkins), whilst they have a really good receiving group and a blindside protector all in the primes of their careers. They can't afford to kick the can down the road at QB for another 12 months. Any franchise QB as a rookie won't realistically have the team in a position to win until their sophomore season. If they don't find their guy this year, the earliest year of realistic competing is 2026, and by then the majority of players on the current roster who are in their primes right now will potentially be on the down side of their careers.

There's a massive gap between Nix/Penix and the next tier of QBs (Rattler etc) so I'm not sure they can trust that if 4 QBs go in the top 10 that they could bank on glossing over a QB at 13 in hope that one of those two remaining guys would not get picked in the next 29 picks. If you think they can be a franchise QB, take them at 13. The value now might not be there but no one will be saying that in a few years time if they turn into the team's next franchise QB.

If you talking vikings or raiders trade up to end of first like ravens did with lamar. I be ok with Pennix or Nix (not really his a bust) just not at 13.

If you think they can turn into a franchise QB why not take them at 13? The "value" is irrelevant because if they pan out to be a franchise QB no one gives two shits about where you drafted them. Trying to get cute trading back late into round 1 is a very fraught with danger scenario for a team who is not in a position where they can afford to miss out on getting their QB of the future in this draft.

The 2 year deal for Minshew only contains 15M in guarantees - so the majority of guaranteed money will be in year 1 and they'll easily be able to move on next year if they so choose. Signing Minshew doesn't preclude them from drafting a QB in round 1 - not at all.

This team is built to win now. Top 10 D with some truly elite players at their respective positions (Crosby and Wilkins), whilst they have a really good receiving group and a blindside protector all in the primes of their careers. They can't afford to kick the can down the road at QB for another 12 months. Any franchise QB as a rookie won't realistically have the team in a position to win until their sophomore season. If they don't find their guy this year, the earliest year of realistic competing is 2026, and by then the majority of players on the current roster who are in their primes right now will potentially be on the down side of their careers.

There's a massive gap between Nix/Penix and the next tier of QBs (Rattler etc) so I'm not sure they can trust that if 4 QBs go in the top 10 that they could bank on glossing over a QB at 13 in hope that one of those two remaining guys would not get picked in the next 29 picks. If you think they can be a franchise QB, take them at 13. The value now might not be there but no one will be saying that in a few years time if they turn into the team's next franchise QB.

If you think they can turn into a franchise QB why not take them at 13? The "value" is irrelevant because if they pan out to be a franchise QB no one gives two shits about where you drafted them. Trying to get cute trading back late into round 1 is a very fraught with danger scenario for a team who is not in a position where they can afford to miss out on getting their QB of the future in this draft.
Not saying youre wrong by any means, was just giving my general thoughts. I wouldnt mind McCarthy at all if hes there at 13, much prefer him to Nix. Interesting to see what happens.

Not saying youre wrong by any means, was just giving my general thoughts. I wouldnt mind McCarthy at all if hes there at 13, much prefer him to Nix. Interesting to see what happens.

I'll be shocked if McCarthy doesn't go top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if he went as high as 6th overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back