Society/Culture Landlords - What is the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see more public housing too. I think the road block is that it would cost the government a mint to purchase enough land and houses necessary to house all of the poorest in society in locations they need to live.

It will be bit of a hard sell to say "hey, we will solve the house crisis with public housing, but we will be doubling or tripling the taxes to do so".

It would have been better for them not to sell the public housing in the first place and even buy more over time as it was required imo.

The private rental properties were never meant to be; or should have been used as a substitute for public housing.
See, I'm not sure that's true.

Indicate in a specific area you're going to rezone it; you cannot operate a legal business on it, nor can you live there. Provide those currently operating there a flat rate to expedite their leaving - at a reasonable not exorbitant price - and after there's no-one left start building and rezone it as public housing in perpetuity.

There are levers of government in place that allow them to do things that enterprises within its auspices cannot prevent.

Governments compulsorily acquire land all the ****ing time. It'd be amusing in the extreme to have a business or conglomerate try and fight it on the grounds that it shouldn't happen to them.

yeh it happens, junkies being junkies

Reactionary take to say it's a reason not to build public housing. If a woman is murdered in her house(current affairs, couldn't resist) do we remove private(personal from marx) property?

Reactionary take to say it's a reason not to build public housing. If a woman is murdered in her house(current affairs, couldn't resist) do we remove private(personal from marx) property?
Yes not a reason broadly to not build more which I'm on board with but it is still a serious problem though. Yes it's a small % but people can reguarly trash a place, ruin a neighbourhood and still not get kicked out of one. I can assure you that I have seen this first hand.

Needs to be sorted.

Yes not a reason broadly to not build more which I'm on board with but it is still a serious problem though. Yes it's a small % but people can reguarly trash a place, ruin a neighbourhood and still not get kicked out of one. I can assure you that I have seen this first hand.

Needs to be sorted.
Like yeh i agree, some absolute menaces out there

But what do you do? shove em in a dogbox unit or have them robbing your joint, take your pick

Like yeh i agree, some absolute menaces out there

But what do you do? shove em in a dogbox unit or have them robbing your joint, take your pick
Yeah I don't want people living on the streets, but when they know there is zero consequences to their actions they just then continually take the piss. Not saying it has to be even super strict like a private rental but I'm talking about windows smashed, holes in walls inside and outside, graffiti everywhere, a yard full of rubbish.

And yep they will try and rob your house with a place to live in anyway, again first hand experience.

Yeah I don't want people living on the streets, but when they know there is zero consequences to their actions they just then continually take the piss. Not saying it has to be even super strict like a private rental but I'm talking about windows smashed, holes in walls inside and outside, graffiti everywhere, a yard full of rubbish.

And yep they will try and rob your house with a place to live in anyway, again first hand experience.
what consequences do you want

See yes menaces do exists, some are impossible to help. But generally I see indigenous single mothers(or similar) trying to bring up multiple kids and help some other family members, shit it's a long way from perfect but that's where I buy my weed
You were wheat belt town? maybe a false memory from me, there's a lot of inequality

Yeh look it happens, but it'll get so much worse without public housing and would improve some if it was expanding. The waiting list is long af and this means only the most in danger get it, probably driving ghettoisation even more. There would most likely be a moderation with neighbouring households not being the very dregs, also community building helps the kids of the next gen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be sorted.
On a broader note,

This scenario is a consequence of freewheeling or neo liberalism if you will.

We live in a time where punishment as a discipline to create a deterrent is seen as a taboo subject. No one is ever to be disciplined, only to be 'educated' < bad people love this.

People in liberal democracies around the world are free to do what they please, and the few bad apples also do what they please.

Don't get me wrong I'm a liberal democratic if there ever was one, however our societies need more social elements to bring back law and order. We're slowly moving in an anarchic direction and is destabilizing liberal democracies across the planet.

On a broader note,

This scenario is a consequence of freewheeling or neo liberalism if you will.

We live in a time where punishment as a discipline to create a deterrent is seen as a taboo subject. No one is ever to be disciplined, only to be 'educated' < bad people love this.

People in liberal democracies around the world are free to do what they please, and the few bad apples also do what they please.

Don't get me wrong I'm a liberal democratic if there ever was one, however our societies need more social elements to bring back law and order. We're slowly moving in an anarchic direction and is destabilizing liberal democracies across the planet.
You're so close to accepting systemic issues, get that dog in ya

I would like to see more public housing too. I think the road block is that it would cost the government a mint to purchase enough land and houses necessary to house all of the poorest in society in locations they need to live.

It will be bit of a hard sell to say "hey, we will solve the house crisis with public housing, but we will be doubling or tripling the taxes to do so".

It would have been better for them not to sell the public housing in the first place and even buy more over time as it was required imo.

The private rental properties were never meant to be; or should have been used as a substitute for public housing.
Or, and here's a wild suggestion, we don't spend billions on crap like submarines!

Or, and here's a wild suggestion, we don't spend billions on crap like submarines!
It's a very ignorant thing to believe that improving our submarine and littoral capability is a wasted investment right now. You can argue the dollar values, but certainly not the necessity to spend money on it.

It's a very ignorant thing to believe that improving our submarine and littoral capability is a wasted investment right now. You can argue the dollar values, but certainly not the necessity to spend money on it.
You can argue whether we need nuclear submarines, which cost much more than diesel subs. So far as I understand, the advantage of nuclear subs is that they're better equipped to enter the territorial waters of other countries because they can stay submerged longer. But, why do we need submarines designed to enter the territorial waters of other countries, unless we're intending to attack them? For defending our own coast, I don't see the advantage of nuclear subs.

You can argue whether we need nuclear submarines, which cost much more than diesel subs. So far as I understand, the advantage of nuclear subs is that they're better equipped to enter the territorial waters of other countries because they can stay submerged longer. But, why do we need submarines designed to enter the territorial waters of other countries, unless we're intending to attack them? For defending our own coast, I don't see the advantage of nuclear subs.
You're half right - nuclear subs do provide far greater range and stealth because of their propulsion system and the ability to stay submerged for extremely long times compared to diesel subs. The reason that makes them preferable for us is because our country is ****ing massive and there's obviously a lot of water to cover with very few subs. China has built a massive navy and will outnumber our subs with something like a 10:1 ratio (would have to go look the numbers up again), and that's after we get all of them which is still to be seen...

So basically, if we aren't going to match their numbers, we need higher quality / greater capability to achieve the desired deterrence effect.

Not to mention protecting shipping channels we rely upon. If there is to be a major conflict in the next decade, it is not an invasion that is likely to be how Australia suffers. It's being denied supply of things we need.

E.g. at any point in time we only have about a month's worth of fuel for transportation. Imagine that supply being significantly disrupted. We'd be screwed.

Not to mention protecting shipping channels we rely upon. If there is to be a major conflict in the next decade, it is not an invasion that is likely to be how Australia suffers. It's being denied supply of things we need.

E.g. at any point in time we only have about a month's worth of fuel for transportation. Imagine that supply being significantly disrupted. We'd be screwed.
Lucky we'll get those subs soon then

Oh wait.

Do you know we're meant to keep more fuel onshore than we do, but don't worry during covid when oil barrels were cheap instead of getting our stockpile to where it should be we paid a premium to the US to be able to acces there reserves in an emergency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back