Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a combination of both being weak and also being dumb when tackled

Both times he was caught dead he actually had time to dispose of it after he was tackled but before he was fully wrapped up. A quick handball first option type of give. But instead he chose to further take on the tackle and take that second more time, which allowed his opponent to completely dominate him physically.

This happened twice!

I know he's a "good user" but you can't have a physically weak player who is slow to react when tackled, who can't win contested ball and generally in hotly fought games also can't find the ball

Surely there is someone better
I wanted Hinge on the wing all year. When Doedee went down that probably put an end to that. Play Jones and Soligo on the wings. Or alternatively why don't they play Sloane on a wing. Sholl is not quicker than Sloane. Sholl needs to be dropped. You can't carry players in finals.

You can't have any player in the side that can only offer something when the conditions are absolutely perfect.

He is the poster child of downhill skiing.

He is an absolute liability who's actions in contested situations are team deflating.

Even his supposed skills are only avererage with his kicks being loopy and straight to a contest.

We cannot carry this spud any longer.

It's the same thing every year, surely we've given him enough opportunities.

He's listed at 87kg. Doesn't seem like it.
He's put on a few kgs since last season.

I don't think he's as bad as all the teeth gnashing going on here. Averaging nearly 18 touches per game for the first 13 games and usually has good disposal.

Outside player whose role is to be an outside player isn't a tackling machine. Well colour me shocked.

Josh Daicos was the player that killed us on the wing. Jones was his opponent I think, at least for the 1st quarter.

He's put on a few kgs since last season.

I don't think he's as bad as all the teeth gnashing going on here. Averaging nearly 18 touches per game for the first 13 games and usually has good disposal.

Outside player whose role is to be an outside player isn't a tackling machine. Well colour me shocked.
Maybe 20 years ago you could get away with this sort of 1 dimensional play, but not in modern football.

It represents a weakness for the time that we absolutely must look to address.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hately could be the player they bring in though. Schoenberg while showing a bit really has lost his chance in my view to be the next mid in based on the poor AFL form he demonstrates consistently.
Nah Schoenberg if he can get his shit together is a far better prospect looking to the future, has that much needed burst speed from the contest and agility that Hately just doesn't have. Hately should never be more than a depth player at AFL level, just doesn't have any points of difference that stand out 5 years into his AFL career.

Sholl seems to be David Mackay MK2 ..

David McKay had a lot of flaws yes, but going hard at the contest was not one of them.

He was also exceptionally quick.

Sholl is more similar to Ratkins.
I agree but I really meant more in the comparison of being this boards whipping boy. Watch scholl play 1 decent game every year, keep getting selected and then get a long term contract.

I've been a defender of his because he showed potentially elite ability early in his career as outside class we have lacked for years.

But he's never really got close to that again for whatever reason (coaching or ability) and at the very least he needs a reset.

I've been a defender of his because he showed potentially elite ability early in his career as outside class we have lacked for years.

But he's never really got close to that again for whatever reason (coaching or ability) and at the very least he needs a reset.
His ability hasn't declined. The problem is that he is now not allowed by the oppo to run around by himself at will doing what he wants. He has improved his engagement-awareness a little, but not enough. He has lasted a little longer than the previous two years, but it's time for a rest.

His ability hasn't declined. The problem is that he is now not allowed by the oppo to run around by himself at will doing what he wants. He has improved his engagement-awareness a little, but not enough. He has lasted a little longer than the previous two years, but it's time for a rest.
Yes but he hasn't been able to get around that. Either coaching hasn't given him the tricks to find space or he doesn't have the ability to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back