Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we trade off Ginni for Schultz?

Not thinking so.

Ginni paid for being too much of an individual (the round the corner kick from 50 out in the granny, when clearly he had been told to go the DP in that situation) in the granny and in several other games.

Schultz a ready made replacement with the runs on the board.
Ginnivan wasn’t even in our best 22 last year. Schultz is replacing Adams’ spot.

Hard to assess playing West Coast I reckon. Should be a solid win with 100+ easy on the scoreboard.

Suspect HH is asked to apply forward pressure and Reef gets full game time.

If Reef comes in, kicks 3-4 and we look far more potent up forward in hitting the scoreboard, then I'll be interested to see how we approach the following week.

Have you been watching West Coast this year?

IMO he lacks fitness for the type of role our forwards play in Flys game plan.
Once he has his fitness up then he’ll
be more productive and less frustrated.

No break for him on the training track next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IMO he lacks fitness for the type of role our forwards play in Flys game plan.
Once he has his fitness up then he’ll
be more productive and less frustrated.

No break for him on the training track next couple of weeks.

Really? To my eye he is covering the most ground of any of our forwards

Yes he may cover it but, is always gased and that’s effecting his skill in getting the ball.
And after the incident Friday also effecting his judgment.
The club also made a comment about him reaching some running PB’s so there is definitely more work for him that the club has set.
He’s a good get. I’m looking forward to him getting more of the ball once fitter.

I just checked last weeks stats as I thought he tends to stay closer to goal. No surprise with Mihocek though as sometimes I think he drags his opponent too far up.

Mihocek - 258 metres gained
Hill - 178
Elliott - 162
Schultz - 95

I just checked last weeks stats as I thought he tends to stay closer to goal. No surprise with Mihocek though as sometimes I think he drags his opponent too far up.

Mihocek - 258 metres gained
Hill - 178
Elliott - 162
Schultz - 95
I think that was Checkers role last week...to drag Weitering away from the ball.

I think that was Checkers role last week...to drag Weitering away from the ball.
Don't think so, Mihocek covers a lot of ground every week.

In total he is over 250 MG more than anyone else.

Schultz is equal to Elliott overall in totals with Hill about 200 behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm referring to Checkers role on Friday. Not how much ground he covers. The commentators also talked about how he was obviously tasked with dragging Weitering out of the play .. specifically when justifying & not being concerned about him not contributing on the scoreboard, they said it was clever coaching on Fly's behalf. Taking Weitering away from the play to stop him intercepting & so the small forwards & others could do their thing. Hence why we had 11-12 different scorers.

Metres gained isn't how far you've run without the footy- it's how far you've moved the ball.

Checkers was dragging Weitering away from goal last week.

I'm referring to Checkers role on Friday. Not how much ground he covers. The commentators also talked about how he was obviously tasked with dragging Weitering out of the play .. specifically when justifying & not being concerned about him not contributing on the scoreboard, they said it was clever coaching on Fly's behalf. Taking Weitering away from the play to stop him intercepting & so the small forwards & others could do their thing. Hence why we had 11-12 different scorers.
The following was the post I replied to in regard to Schultz. Stats show differently.

To my eye he is covering the most ground of any of our forwards

The following was the post I replied to in regard to Schultz. Stats show differently.
That 2nd quote wasn't my comment though...

I have no clue about how much ground Checkers covered or covers. I was only referring to him dragging Weitering away from the ball on Friday.

That 2nd quote wasn't my comment though...

I have no clue about how much ground Checkers covered or covers.
And my point was Schultz is more of a stay at home forward, that is all I was discussing.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

I was only referring to him dragging Weitering away from the ball on Friday.
Mihocek often does that with his opponent, so does Elliott.

Now owes us big time.
While fit, he will be sitting this one out because of an act of stupidity.
And we now are in desperate need of forwards with experience. Elevating a couple of players with little or no experience does little to replace a player who we invested heavily in just for these exact conditions.
Very disappointing how this has played out, but if we lose I’m laying it right at his feet.

Now owes us big time.
While fit, he will be sitting this one out because of an act of stupidity.
And we now are in desperate need of forwards with experience. Elevating a couple of players with little or no experience does little to replace a player who we invested heavily in just for these exact conditions.
Very disappointing how this has played out, but if we lose I’m laying it right at his feet.
Great plan BW.

Those saying he wasn't worth what we paid have to ask themselves, what would be the point in using a first round pick on a kid that most likely isn't going to make the team instantly better to threaten at going back to back?

None of last years or this years picks between 10-20 would even break into this Collingwood team, those saying we paid too much are beyond clueless.

I think everyone has a view on Schultz the player and Schultz / trade

1. I think Schultz might help deliver a flag but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t have and shouldn’t have obtained him without giving up a future first

2. What if we didn’t want to use this year’s first to draft a player but needed it to get a trade over the line - Holmes / Smith / etc. It might have been an essential component.
I think we’ll get whoever nominates us but it would have been nice to have more trade capital - and perhaps, just perhaps, we may have a trade we wanted to do but couldn’t bc we didn’t have this pick.

3. Beyond clueless? Hmmm, will be sure to keep track of all your posts upon which to base my opinions to ensure they are no longer clueless.

Last edited:
Posted on another thread but I think it’s relevent here: from Fly’s presser “We're not here to go back in time and go 'oh we want to play like we did last year', that's not us. That's done.”
As more astute posters than I have pointed out, we have changed our game plan a bit and in hindsight this maybe the reason behind a seeming lack of cohesion at the start of the season and some of our players a bit inconsistent. Schultz is settling in fine I think considering that for him it’s also a new club. It was a silly brain fade to get him suspended sure, even Pendles had one v Brisbane.
Did we overpay, get the wrong player, God knows and I don’t have direct line. Passionate views either way which is fine but the trade is done and dusted.
Really good post IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back