Kids who play junior footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Whose kids are out chasing the pill yet?

My 2 played in an U12s grading game last Sunday. Another this Sunday then season proper next term.

10yo made the regional team (Met West) 2 weeks ago. He'll go to the state trials in Maroochydore in June.

Last edited:
Season starts Sunday week down here so all it’s been is preseason training with all U10 teams as one thus far.

The upside has been little Arch training alongside Eddie Betts’ boys, and Eddie himself helping alongside us dads.

A ripping bloke he is.

Next week I believe the 3 U10 teams will seperate to hone their individual team plans before it all kicks off mext weekend.

Season starts Sunday week down here so all it’s been is preseason training with all U10 teams as one thus far.

The upside has been little Arch training alongside Eddie Betts’ boys, and Eddie himself helping alongside us dads.

A ripping bloke he is.

Next week I believe the 3 U10 teams will seperate to hone their individual team plans before it all kicks off mext weekend.
How bloody good is that??? Invaluable to have an AFL superstar out there helping!!!!

1 more grading game for 12s and my 11s as coach don't start until after the holidays. We have 2 Brisbane Lions coming to training Tuesday, #10 said he wished it was Zurhaar, Cunners or LDU haha

12s still very scrappy and kicking without lower their eyes.

Young fellas had their 2nd game of the season. How's everyone else travelling??

Rd 1 son #12(wearing #11) was barreled into after the siren but jumped up and went old mate which was nice to see.

Opposition we allowed to kick it off the ground all day which was frustrating.

Toes Junior played his first game on Sunday, having missed rounds 1 and 2 due to either having Covid or one of us having it and round 3 being a bye.

He started in the ruck against a behemoth of a kid who was clearly their best player given that he kicked their first 3 goals 3 behinds floating forward. Little Toes swapped to CHB and our coach assigned one of our boys to blanket their behemoth.

We were down 21 pts at qtr time and looked outclassed but things changed rapidly once the moves were made and we went in to the final quarter 2 goals in front. The last five minutes were nail biting as we desperately defended the now two point lead we held, and the boys and families jumped for joy and cheered when the final siren blew and we’d held on 6.9.45 to 6.7.43 with the little bloke doing his best Rossco Glendinning impersonation off halfback intercepting and launching scoring chains.

It was good to be back!

Last edited:
Toes Junior played his first game on Sunday, having missed rounds 1 and 2 die to wither having Covid or one of us having it and round 3 being a bye.

He started in the ruck against a behemoth of a kid who was clearly their best player given that he kicked their first 3 goals 3 behinds floating forward. Little Toes swapped to CHB and our coach assigned one of our boys to blanket their behemoth.

We were down 21 pts at qtr time and looked outclassed but things changed rapidly once the moves were made and we went in to the final quarter 2 goals in front. The last five minutes were nail biting as we desperately defended the now two point lead we held, and the boys and families jumped for joy and cheered when the final siren blew and we’d held on 6.9.45 to 6.7.43 with the little bloke doing his best Rossco Glendinning impersonation off halfback intercepting and launching scoring chains.

It was good to be back!
Great write up, everything junior footy should be. I bet Toes Jr is flying high after a game like that.

Do 10s have zones? In QLD the field is divided into 3 zones, FWD/MID/DEF with 4 in each zone.

Great write up, everything junior footy should be. I bet Toes Jr is flying high after a game like that.

Do 10s have zones? In QLD the field is divided into 3 zones, FWD/MID/DEF with 4 in each zone.

No zones at U10 level. That ends after U9, where they zone and play on smaller grounds (across field with temporary posts and scores aren’t kept officially, although unofficially all the parents keep track of the scores, and no tackling etc).

U10 is the first season where it’s footy as we know it at senior level with games played on full grounds, no zones, scores displayed on the scoreboard and tackling allowed (without pile driving a kid into the dirt).

It’s a mile better than the zone/ no tackling/ no scores period and despite my fear the kids would be wusses with the tackling I’ve been blown away with how they’ve taken to it and thrived. We came back into the game on Sunday by upping the pressure and swarming the ball carrier rather than ball watching.

I couldn’t help but wish I was seeing the same pressure changing momentum with our North boys.

No zones at U10 level. That ends after U9, where they zone and play on smaller grounds (across field with temporary posts and scores aren’t kept officially, although unofficially all the parents keep track of the scores, and no tackling etc).

U10 is the first season where it’s footy as we know it at senior level with games played on full grounds, no zones, scores displayed on the scoreboard and tackling allowed (without pile driving a kid into the dirt).

It’s a mile better than the zone/ no tackling/ no scores period and despite my fear the kids would be wusses with the tackling I’ve been blown away with how they’ve taken to it and thrived. We came back into the game on Sunday by upping the pressure and swarming the ball carrier rather than ball watching.

I couldn’t help but wish I was seeing the same pressure changing momentum with our North boys.
Up here 10s still have zones and no score.

11s is no zones, 15 on the field and a score but no ladder or finals. It isn't until 12s when the field is proper size, scores, finals, a Grand final and even a Brownlow equivalent.

Sport/footy going ahead for everyone else the past fortnight? Heavy/consistent rain in SE QLD meant most matches have be cancelled and training.

We were lucky enough to have our game in Redcliffe go ahead yesterday despite the rain. Heavy loss but great experience to play in those condition. Hard to get any footage when rain is hitting you horizontally.

We missed training for 2 weeks so quickly threw up these for ideas on skills/drills to do at home. I really wish I put more time into the ideas and then time into the production. If it happens again I'd not rush it.

Miraculously both games went ahead for my 2.

#10 yo (wearing #15) had a ripper game, 50-60 possessions and 9 goals (opposition kicked 1), they're top of the ladder and we won 102 - 10, so he was very happy. #12 yo went in against an evenly matched opponent but the forward entries/structure didn't help and they went down 10-33

Yeah, Toes Junior’s team was pushed up to gold division come YJFL leagues assessment time, after they’d gone undefeated prior.

They’re four games in at the top level and are 2-2, having been swamped in their first game by another team from our club (who they went 1-1 with last season) and losing the second in a close one.

The lift in standard is quite significant but so far it seems it’s mostly due to the teams being far better organised.

There’s a much bigger emphasis on containing the pill in the forward 50, ala AFL level, and players are better drilled with their roles to do so.

The third game our boys won by ten goals and over the weekend we beat another team from the same club (their better team) in a nailbiter. If we’d kicked more accurately we’d have won by 7 or 8 goals. I had visions of the year between ‘97 and ‘99 at one point.

What will make it memorable though is the deplorable behaviour of the opposition coach and runner (who’s an ex Aus cricketer and Big Bash winner). The runner stayed on ground for the entire game shouting things like “BURY HIM” and “BALLLL”, basically barracking in a booming voice which intimidated the kids. Then, as they attacked and we defended with bodies on the line, their coach was even worse.

It was pathetic and our coach (an ex Hawthorn player) had words with him after the post game pleasantries were completed. I learnt tonight that both their coach and runner had been reported to the league for further investigation.

The hardest thing during such times is maintaining restraint as I reckon a half dozen dads wanted to throttle both of these twats.

Anyway, it appears the boys have settled at the level now and they know this is where they fit so the rest of the season should be good viewing.

PS. It was so f’ing cold but thankfully our last 8am start for the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will make it memorable though is the deplorable behaviour of the opposition coach and runner (who’s an ex Aus cricketer and Big Bash winner). The runner stayed on ground for the entire game shouting things like “BURY HIM” and “BALLLL”, basically barracking in a booming voice which intimidated the kids. Then, as they attacked and we defended with bodies on the line, their coach was even worse.

It was pathetic and our coach (an ex Hawthorn player) had words with him after the post game pleasantries were completed. I learnt tonight that both their coach and runner had been reported to the league for further investigation.

The hardest thing during such times is maintaining restraint as I reckon a half dozen dads wanted to throttle both of these twats.

Anyway, it appears the boys have settled at the level now and they know this is where they fit so the rest of the season should be good viewing.

PS. It was so f’ing cold but thankfully our last 8am start for the year.
Sounds like you're in for a lot of exciting tense games.

Had a similar situation on Saturday where the Coach yelled and screamed the whole time. They had 2 players who usually play 12s come down to 11s and 2 of the best players from their other 11s come across and had 6 on the bench.

Imagine being intimidated by a 10yo. Parents on the oppo team yelling and whooping anytime he lost the ruck battle.

I just tell my team to 'stay classy' and focus on the ball.

I'm guessing it gets worse as they get older?? Do Vic have U12, 14, 16 ,18 or 13,15,17???

I think QLD is changing next year to 13,15,17

My 10yo just had the best AFL experience at the 10-12 school boys State Championships. While he's still only 10 and up against some good/big/skillful 12 yos this carnival more all about the experience and having fun and not making the QLD State team.

Played a bit of mid, kicked 2 goals but the spent the majority of time at fullback which is a huge vote of confidence from the coach.

He also played against a few boys with AFL dads. Jeff White, Aaron Davey and Cameron Cloke were def there, possibly some more.

Junior Bells plays at Hillside FC in the EDFL in the Under 10s its his 2nd year but has one to go as he skipped under 8's as he was too aggressive for it apparently and has been nicknamed "Bull" by his team mates.
He is the kid you love on your team but hate playing against. Have had a couple oppo parents and coaches complain about him and the way he plays but that's just him.
His coach said he's the hardest Under 10 he has seen in his 40 years around footy. He just barrels kids as he only has one speed and that is flat out. Good thing is the kid can really play
They have finished 2nd and have their first final this week and the boy is pumped.

Don't have many photos but here is a couple of him in action.

lucas1.jpg

lucas2.jpg

Junior Bells plays at Hillside FC in the EDFL in the Under 10s its his 2nd year but has one to go as he skipped under 8's as he was too aggressive for it apparently and has been nicknamed "Bull" by his team mates.
He is the kid you love on your team but hate playing against. Have had a couple oppo parents and coaches complain about him and the way he plays but that's just him.
His coach said he's the hardest Under 10 he has seen in his 40 years around footy. He just barrels kids as he only has one speed and that is flat out. Good thing is the kid can really play
They have finished 2nd and have their first final this week and the boy is pumped.

Don't have many photos but here is a couple of him in action.

View attachment 1450352

View attachment 1450353
That's awesome. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of 'within the rules' aggression. Many parents don't like that with the young ones though. It's often best to play those type up, better for the more meek to not be pushed out of the game and better for the BULL to ply his trade against bigger, faster, stronger oppo.

Would love to see some footage of the young fella in action!!!

Good luck in the final!!

My 10yo is playing 11s and 12s this year for the same developmental reasons. Will benefit in the long run.

My U10 played on Sunday morning and unfortunately we had four morning withdrawals due to bloody covid. Not good timing as we were playing the other Ashy Redbacks U10 in Gold Division who are undefeated on top. Needless to say we were trounced, scoring only one goal, but the good thing was Toes Jnr kicked it from 40 out and gave me a wink then yelled “hey dad, Malcolm Blight!”

Really? They often do. I've often never seen so many w***ers in my life. Living life through their children.
The wins and losses mean so much to many parents. Some think their little star is going to be drafted based on an U12 game. I just film away (gives me something to do, quiet and enjoying the game) while some parents scream and rant. Quite funny really.

The wins and losses mean so much to many parents. Some think their little star is going to be drafted based on an U12 game. I just film away (gives me something to do, quiet and enjoying the game) while some parents scream and rant. Quite funny really.

Junior Bells won his final on the weekend so now move to play the top side and a chance to move straight to the GF.

In relation to the above we have a couple of full on parents in our side but the team we played on Sunday was next level.
Yelling out to the young umpires who were maybe 14-15 "That's bullshit" and all sorts of stuff. Also started yelling out "Get them, Get them, smash them" which was pretty poor as well. The result of that was, with the parents yelling out aggressively the kids picked up on it and when they started to lose they wanted to push and shove and lift elbows and carry on.

These kids and 8,9,10 years old and there isn't any need to do it.

I speak to Junior Bells at the breaks and that's about it, or if he does well on field i may yell out to him well done.

Sunday was why umpire numbers are so low. The 2 young umpires we had i thought were bloody good.

We’ve only had the above occur once this season HB and it all came from the opposition coach and runner (an ex Aus cricketer). Both were duly reported to the league. It’s utter bullshit behaviour.

Junior Bells won his final on the weekend so now move to play the top side and a chance to move straight to the GF.

In relation to the above we have a couple of full on parents in our side but the team we played on Sunday was next level.
Yelling out to the young umpires who were maybe 14-15 "That's bullshit" and all sorts of stuff. Also started yelling out "Get them, Get them, smash them" which was pretty poor as well. The result of that was, with the parents yelling out aggressively the kids picked up on it and when they started to lose they wanted to push and shove and lift elbows and carry on.

These kids and 8,9,10 years old and there isn't any need to do it.

I speak to Junior Bells at the breaks and that's about it, or if he does well on field i may yell out to him well done.

Sunday was why umpire numbers are so low. The 2 young umpires we had i thought were bloody good.
It really does ruin it for the rest of us. I have also noticed that the kids hearing the aggressive language pick up on it and lift their aggressive game as well.

My 10yo #15 in blue plays up in 11s and was targeted off the ball all game. Fast forward to 2:09 that kid was doing that to him off the ball all the time. Wouldn't a coach tell him to stop that??

Then he (#10 in this game) played 12s with his brother (#11) against a much bigger team haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back