Keep sooking Jonny

Remove this Banner Ad

Get Jonny a HAPPY MEAL to cheer Jonny up!

images

Yep. This is what annoys the hell out of me with England. They are quick to look down their noses at anything they perceive to be unsportsmanlike from other countries, but history is littered with England cheating or bending rules to suit their own needs. The recent Ashes series was the final straw for me.
I'm staggered that no-one has ever called out or questioned Michaël Vaughan over his players using mints in the 2005 ashes.

It was rumored to be happening at the time and none of the English press were interested (or didn't want to) in chasing it up (Trescothick admitted to it in his autobiography years later).

Vaughan would have known what was going on.

And yet on the 2019 ashes tour, Vaughan and the rest of the pommy crowds dined out on the ball tampering affair - all in the knowledge of what happened in 2005.

And on the Carey run out - if Bairstow did that to one of our batsman, he would have been hailed as a hero......

The entire whinging falls down due to Bairstow doing dodgier s**t previously (trying it with Marnus, and stumping someone in County who NEVER LEFT THEIR CREASE) - but, even more so; Stokes reviewing the Smith catch, when he knew he dropped it.

Any (alleged) moral high ground they had relating to the 'spirit of cricket' was shown to be a complete joke at that point.

Their ******* sooks, and I think it'll take them a long time to regain any respect in Australian (and world) Cricket circles.

Glad to hear Cummins gave that retort, simple but spot on.

Last edited:
The entire whinging falls down due to Bairstow doing dodgier s**t previously (trying it with Marnus, and stumping someone in County who NEVER LEFT THEIR CREASE) - but, even more so; Stokes reviewing the Smith catch, when he knew he dropped it.

Any (alleged) moral high ground they had relating to the 'spirit of cricket' was shown to be a complete joke at that point.

Their ******* sooks, and I think it'll take them a long time to regain any respect in Australian (and world) Cricket circles.

Glad to hear Cummins gave that retort, simple but spot on.
We can only hope that Bairstow is selected in their Ashes squad in 2 years time.

The Aussie crowds will give it to him big time.

And so we should.

if Bairstow did that to one of our batsman, he would have been hailed as a hero.....
the fact that he also did it IN THE SAME MATCH but missed is infuriating about the whole scenario too

I'm staggered that no-one has ever called out or questioned Michaël Vaughan over his players using mints in the 2005 ashes.

It was rumored to be happening at the time and none of the English press were interested (or didn't want to) in chasing it up (Trescothick admitted to it in his autobiography years later).

Vaughan would have known what was going on.

And yet on the 2019 ashes tour, Vaughan and the rest of the pommy crowds dined out on the ball tampering affair - all in the knowledge of what happened in 2005.

And on the Carey run out - if Bairstow did that to one of our batsman, he would have been hailed as a hero......
Please don't get me started on ball tampering. Just about every other country has been guilty of it, some more than once. Australia has been the only country with the balls to suspend people for it, and yet other countries call us cheats. It really grinds my gears. I'm happy to accept punishment for the Aussie players, but I'm not happy to have other countries (especially England) looking down their noses at us.

Please don't get me started on ball tampering. Just about every other country has been guilty of it, some more than once. Australia has been the only country with the balls to suspend people for it, and yet other countries call us cheats. It really grinds my gears. I'm happy to accept punishment for the Aussie players, but I'm not happy to have other countries (especially England) looking down their noses at us.
100% the Aussies we're likely to miss a game or two under the ICC punishment for ball tampering (at worst), only cause we actually believe I'm the spirit of cricket did we step in and do more.

There is nothing more hilarious than a pommy trying to take the high moral ground.

A short history:

1932 Bodyline - Instigated by the Poms.
1979 England tour of Australia - Lords refused to put the Ashes up for grabs (albeit it was only a 3 test series) but they knew, with the WSC players back that they would get thumped.
1995 - Michael Atherton fined for shining the ball with dirt that was in his pocket.
2005 - Marcus Trescothick admits in his biography that English players used breath mints to help shine the ball. Michaël Vaughan (who was captain of that side and would have known what was going on) was one of the most vehement critics of Warner and Smith.
2013 - Campaigner Broad refuses to walk despite hitting the cover off the ball (FWIW I don't think that a batsman should walk but there's no way Broad can take any high moral ground when it comes to the 'spirit of cricket')
2018 - The ECCB cut the residency requirements from seven years to three for overseas cricketers to qualify to play for England.....just in time so that Jofra Archer could play in the 2019 series.

I'm amazed that no-one from the mainstream media has ever challenged or called out Vaughan for his part in the 2005 series
The poms have been doing it way earlier than the 1930s. WG Grace one of the biggest cheats in the 19th century ran out Aussie Sammy Jones in the 1882 test series when he walked out of his crease to tap the pitch down with his bat. Or when the Poms using Vaseline to shine the ball in the 70s against india. But 'spirit of cricket' and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one is a legit grey area. I think not out. The ball imo was dead and the umpire had clicked his counter over.

The batsman copped it sweet though. Good on her.
I know the parents of and the captain of that side. He said that they even sledged the batter as she walked off and he thought that it was hilarious.
My daughter’s side will play them on Sunday in the grand final. Her side played against them Sunday week ago with a weakened side and won comfortably. We’re at full strength this Sunday so if we play near our best we’ll crush them. Cricket is a funny game though.

Guess it depends on what is defined as when the ball is dead?

Do we know when the Ump called 'over'? Would think if he had called over and then the bails were taken off, then its dead?

Last edited:
Ya don't just wander out of your ground when you don't know where the ball is. At ANY TIME.

And in this case, it's a safe assumption that the ball was still in the keeper's glove. So WHY WALK OUT OF YOUR GROUND?

100% own goal.

I repeat, they paint the line for a reason.

If you don't step out of your ground then there's no reason for the keeper to take the bails off, is there?

This is a recent snippet from the website of Australian statistician Charles Davis, relating to the fifth Test India played against England during 2023-24:

In the current Test between England and India at Dharamsala, England managed to lose three wickets AND burn through three reviews, all on the same score (175). In particular, Brad Stokes' effort, utterly plumb lbw for a duck, will go into highlight reels for the most blatantly ill-advised reviews. It was the third time in his career that Stokes has been out for a duck after calling for a review and failing. The only other recognised batsman with so many failures of this type is…Jonny Bairstow!

Have to love the tongue-in-cheek big reveal of Bairstow's name and the fact Davis has gotten Stokes' Christian name wrong.

Ahead of Jonny Bairstow's 100th test, Joe Root paid tribute to the red headed Yorkshireman. Root finished his little speech by reminding Bairstow to stay in his crease. Not sure Jonny found it funny but St Brendan found it hilarious which is ironic given his almighty sook about Bairstow's famous dismissal on day 5 of the Lord's test last year.

Ahead of Jonny Bairstow's 100th test, Joe Root paid tribute to the red headed Yorkshireman. Root finished his little speech by reminding Bairstow to stay in his crease. Not sure Jonny found it funny but St Brendan found it hilarious which is ironic given his almighty sook about Bairstow's famous dismissal on day 5 of the Lord's test last year.

I was in England last year (lucky enough to see the Lords test) and some of the garbage that was directed at the Australians was disgraceful. And it wasn't good natured banter, it was flat out abuse of the worst kind..

I know its 2 summers away but if Johnny gets picked for the 25/26 tour he's going to cop it from the aussie crowds big time (actually I think the entire side will for that matter)

I guess you reap what you sow.

Marais Erasmus did an interview with the UK Telegraph recently. When he entered the dining room on day 5 at Lord's, Erasmus described Bairstow as 'frosty', which resulted in the veteran umpire leaving the room. Erasmus also said you could imagine how frosty things were when Bairstow asked the Aussies if they were happy with the way in which he had been dismissed and Davey Warner succinctly said ''yes''.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back