Keep sooking Jonny

Remove this Banner Ad

There is nothing more hilarious than a pommy trying to take the high moral ground.

A short history:

1932 Bodyline - Instigated by the Poms.
1979 England tour of Australia - Lords refused to put the Ashes up for grabs (albeit it was only a 3 test series) but they knew, with the WSC players back that they would get thumped.
1995 - Michael Atherton fined for shining the ball with dirt that was in his pocket.
2005 - Marcus Trescothick admits in his biography that English players used breath mints to help shine the ball. Michaël Vaughan (who was captain of that side and would have known what was going on) was one of the most vehement critics of Warner and Smith.
2013 - Campaigner Broad refuses to walk despite hitting the cover off the ball (FWIW I don't think that a batsman should walk but there's no way Broad can take any high moral ground when it comes to the 'spirit of cricket')
2018 - The ECCB cut the residency requirements from seven years to three for overseas cricketers to qualify to play for England.....just in time so that Jofra Archer could play in the 2019 series.

I'm amazed that no-one from the mainstream media has ever challenged or called out Vaughan for his part in the 2005 series

Well they have but of all the things you’ve nominated, that one stands to me as the stupidest one to get upset about.

From the day I started using a leather ball instead of a compound ball - so under 12s cricket - I was taught to shine the ball with spit and sweat. As a consequence I ALWAYS chewed gum. Juicy Fruit usually. It created spit so that even on hot dry days in the NSW country I could shine the ball. And every other kid that ever played cricket here, and no doubt in most other countries that play cricket, was taught the same thing. And you could see any time you watched tv that the test players were doing the same thing.

For some reason, mints though - oh no, that’s cheating.

To this day, I still do not understand why one is fine, and one isn’t. Wow, a team discovered that ‘this foreign substance within the mouth has a more pronounced effect than this foreign substance in the mouth.’

It’s like a cycling team who’s spent years using EPO blowing up about blood doping with oxygenated blood packs. ‘Oh well you beat us and did it with more effective enhancement so you’re the bad guys.’

Makes no sense whatsoever.

The rest of it I can cop: the Atherton thing which made him look like an idiot and still annoys me because as a batsman and a commentator I really have a lot of time for him.

Bodyline I can see arguments for and against but at best it was unsavoury.

Not really sure what Broad had to do with anything as you correctly pointed out, not walking isn’t really an issue full stop.

I’m still filthy at them not because they change residency rules etc but because they actively target particular players. How on earth cricket in general benefits from a player like Archer shifting to England from the West Indies is anyone’s guess.

Pathetic to still be talking about the stumping.

Some players wouldn't do it - (run out Bairstow), others would, and wouldn't think twice.

Time to move on me thinks.

You forgot Headingly 1972. The Fusarium pitch. This mysterious disease that only affected an area the size of a pitch, the rest of the oval was unaffected. All because Lillee and Massie were having too much influence. "British Fair Play" is a ridiculous notion.

There's also the Old Trafford pitch in 56 that had marl and sand in it, which no doubt helped Jim Laker take 19 wickets in that test.

Pathetic to still be talking about the stumping.

Some players wouldn't do it - (run out Bairstow), others would, and wouldn't think twice.

Time to move on me thinks.

Every single test level keeper would try and run bairstow out in that spot, there never was any real controversy this england team are entitled brats and their media are just enabling their bad behavior.

Well you could argue Australia struggled after that incident.

They weren't the same team after that incident and it rattled them more then they let on. I was at the disaster of a manchester test days 1 and 2 we looked cooked.

It lit a fire under the belly of Whingeland and they basically won the last 3 tests without the rain in Manchester.

It lit a fire under the belly of Whingeland and they basically won the last 3 tests without the rain in Manchester.
Don't get yourself in a position where you can't afford a test to be rained out.

Not our problem the UK is a miserable wet poxy s**t hole.

Imagine what it's like to go into a home ashes series holding the urn and knowing a drawn series allows you to keep it for another two years...

English fans have had this feeling once since 1989.

Imagine what it's like to go into a home ashes series holding the urn and knowing a drawn series allows you to keep it for another two years...

English fans have had this feeling once since 1989.
Vintage year, Ashes, Grand Final and the Stone Roses first album

Don't get yourself in a position where you can't afford a test to be rained out.

Not our problem the UK is a miserable wet poxy s**t hole.
Yeah I was happy as Larry I was in the Scottish Highlands on day 5 where the sun was out. While the rain was pissing down in Manchester.

I was just commenting on Australia and how they performed after the run-out. We weren't the same team after it and it seemed it affected and weighed down on us more then they let on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still waiting for an English player to fess up about unfairly accepting a virtual new ball that the umps picked out for them that changed the coarse of the last Ashes test in their favour.

The poms knew by accepting that ball that it wasn't in the "spirit of the game" as they like to go on about.

I do not understand the Poms' argument of Australia "winning a Test like that." The stumping of Bairstow did not end the game and thus win us the Test. The stumping did not guarantee we would go on to win the Test.
Many have noted Bairstow trying the same stumping tactic on Labuschagne earlier in the Test. In 2019, I remember him trying the same thing against Steve Smith. The ball had been in Bairstow's gloves for a few seconds after a ball had been bowled. Smith moved around his crease a little. Bairstow then threw the ball at the stumps but his throw was so wild it hit Smith in the stomach. I haven't been able to track down this exact moment on YouTube, and although Bairstow did gesture an apology immediately his throwing at the stumps has not improved over four years.
When you look at footage of Carey's throw from behind you can see him putting his arms in the air before the ball hits the stumps.

I wonder whether Bairstow will come to Australia for the 2025-26 Ashes when he will be 36 (if his form warrants selection).

I only wish Moeen would apologise for his international career. I personally find that more offensive. LOL

How is he in the current World Cup squad? He averages 48.5 with ball after 134 one-dayers and 24.5 with the bat. How does someone keep receiving international selection with such poor figures?

wait til their whinging really starts after they get 5 days worth of "abuse" at the gabba in a couple years time
3 days of abuse - it'll be over in 3 days.

I genuinely hope the Dutch knock off the Poms when they play each other, meaning England suffers the ultimate embarrassment of finishing bottom at a World Cup. It's all these whingers deserve.

You just know England being England they'll keep whining and will be brought up when they come here for the next one and them being them we'll probably do them 5-0.

i mean at this point winning 1 test out of 5 is a realistic goal for them considering they have gone 5-0, 4-0, 4-0 in the last 3 series and frankly had a better team than they are going to take for the next ashes.

You forgot Headingly 1972. The Fusarium pitch. This mysterious disease that only affected an area the size of a pitch, the rest of the oval was unaffected. All because Lillee and Massie were having too much influence. "British Fair Play" is a ridiculous notion.
And in an amazing coincidence, England recalled Underwood for that game.

And in an amazing coincidence, England recalled Underwood for that game.
Yep. This is what annoys the hell out of me with England. They are quick to look down their noses at anything they perceive to be unsportsmanlike from other countries, but history is littered with England cheating or bending rules to suit their own needs. The recent Ashes series was the final straw for me.

Don’t forget “lakers game” and the other games in that series were absolute dust bowls to aid lock and laker. At the time there was a minor diplomatic tiff over the state of them.

Don’t forget “lakers game” and the other games in that series were absolute dust bowls to aid lock and laker. At the time there was a minor diplomatic tiff over the state of them.
Yep.

I do not understand the Poms' argument of Australia "winning a Test like that." The stumping of Bairstow did not end the game and thus win us the Test. The stumping did not guarantee we would go on to win the Test.
Many have noted Bairstow trying the same stumping tactic on Labuschagne earlier in the Test. In 2019, I remember him trying the same thing against Steve Smith. The ball had been in Bairstow's gloves for a few seconds after a ball had been bowled. Smith moved around his crease a little. Bairstow then threw the ball at the stumps but his throw was so wild it hit Smith in the stomach. I haven't been able to track down this exact moment on YouTube, and although Bairstow did gesture an apology immediately his throwing at the stumps has not improved over four years.
When you look at footage of Carey's throw from behind you can see him putting his arms in the air before the ball hits the stumps.

I wonder whether Bairstow will come to Australia for the 2025-26 Ashes when he will be 36 (if his form warrants selection).

I reckon we win that Test by more if Bairstow wasn't stumped. The score was 5-193 before Bairstow fell and they needed 370 with a terrible bottom 4. All that happened was Stokes got angry and started slogging and our bowlers got flustered. Wouldn't have gone down like that with Bairstow at the crease. Likely that Stokes would have got out for much less than 150 and Bairstow wouldn't have made up the difference, and we cruise to a 100-120 (instead of 43) run win. I think the stumping actually helped the Poms get closer than they otherwise would have. Yet they carry on as if it cost them the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back