Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

Well why comment then, really?
Because I'm interested in what you're idea of a valid question is
I have no interest in JPs idea because it's all just a game for him
I'm genuinely worried about the guy. I still see him as a human and he really doesn't look well.
Cool but I don't read your comment as that
It's heading into the mental illness dismissal which i think he's just a grifting campaigner mostly

He doesn't seem interested in a discussion at all. I have heard of this Destiny character but never seen anything of his so I don't know if he's got history. He seems famous from what I can tell.

But yeah - more Jorpy rapid fire attack without a care if he's right or not, so long as he gets seen to be in a fight with a "woke" YouTuber.

He doesn't seem interested in a discussion at all. I have heard of this Destiny character but never seen anything of his so I don't know if he's got history. He seems famous from what I can tell.

But yeah - more Jorpy rapid fire attack without a care if he's right or not, so long as he gets seen to be in a fight with a "woke" YouTuber.
Destiny is a debate bro

Because I'm interested in what you're idea of a valid question is
He posited that the "new, different" nature of the mRNA vaccines made them inherently possibly dangerous (plausible) but ignored the efforts that went in to showing they were just as safe /effective as other vaccines. The commentator described them as mere "talking points" without substance which I think summed it up well.

He posited that the "new, different" nature of the mRNA vaccines made them inherently possibly dangerous (plausible) but ignored the efforts that went in to showing they were just as safe /effective as other vaccines. The commentator described them as mere "talking points" without substance which I think summed it up well.
So he's doing the soft antvax anti science grift

As someone with no expertise in a field he's being a dick

The problem is not so much that he has no expertise in the field, more that he refuses to use any expertise he would have, ie how to apply the scientific method or analyse basic data

Just a shitshow now.
No the problem is he has no expertise in the field

The problem is not so much that he has no expertise in the field, more that he refuses to use any expertise he would have, ie how to apply the scientific method or analyse basic data

Just a shitshow now.
More that he doesn't respect people with expertise in the field.

Nor do most people, but they can still engage in purposeful conversation on the topic.
No we can't
And no he can't
But he's pretending to be an authority and doing it for money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's 50% entertainment to see him try his angry little man act and have someone write down what he says and cheerfully say "I don't think that's right but I'll check it out."

Spouting s**t about 20% excess deaths etc, then Funk puts up data showing he's lying.

Spouting s**t about myocarditis, Funk puts up data showing he's lying.

Spouting s**t about "latest studies" Funk puts up the studies showing Jorpy is wrong.

No we can't
And no he can't
But he's pretending to be an authority and doing it for money
Ohh jeepers. In which part of that video that you didn't watch is he pretending to be an authority?

I don't know why you bother with this thread to be honest. You have no chance of understanding my point because you won't engage with it in good faith. So to dismiss it is pretty disrespectful.

But you get the notification that there's been some action in this thread, take no time to take any of the new posts in, and then go telling us again for the thousandth time he is only in it for the money.

It's fair if you think he is not worth any intellectual effort on your part, I get that. But if that's the case, why keep coming back?

It's a little boring.

Ohh jeepers. In which part of that video that you didn't watch is he pretending to be an authority?

I don't know why you bother with this thread to be honest. You have no chance of understanding my point because you won't engage with it in good faith. So to dismiss it is pretty disrespectful.

But you get the notification that there's been some action in this thread, take no time to take any of the new posts in, and then go telling us again for the thousandth time he is only in it for the money.

It's fair if you think he is not worth any intellectual effort on your part, I get that. But if that's the case, why keep coming back?

It's a little boring.
I don't get how anyone not a full blown conservative is defending anything he says in 2024 because all he is doing is pandering
I don't need to watch every video in full to know this

It's 50% entertainment to see him try his angry little man act and have someone write down what he says and cheerfully say "I don't think that's right but I'll check it out."

Spouting s**t about 20% excess deaths etc, then Funk puts up data showing he's lying.

Spouting s**t about myocarditis, Funk puts up data showing he's lying.

Spouting s**t about "latest studies" Funk puts up the studies showing Jorpy is wrong.
Funk's commentary actually makes this good, I was dubious about putting time into watching it but I liked how concisely he refuted points which, it had to be said, are not unique to JP so have a broader appeal for refutation.

points which, it had to be said, are not unique to JP
Which is all Jorpster has on this topic.

Like you said, he's abandoned the scientific method for the cheap outrage bait he says he hates so much.

And yes it's good ammo for replying to deniers and antivaxers who bring up these stock claims.

I don't get how anyone not a full blown conservative is defending anything he says in 2024 because all he is doing is pandering
I don't need to watch every video in full to know this
I guess I don't take sides and play the man as hard as you do. That is not intended as a barb but more a genuine perception of our difference here.

As a thought experiment, I would look at that video and imagine it was a bot we had never met before saying what he says. Some of it would be believed by many people, some of it has skerricks of validity, and as such the rebuttals are worth listening to

But yeah, I understand that you've just had enough of him and he's in the bin as far as you are concerned. Waste of time. I guess my comparison would be all the flat earth s**t I get on FB for some reason. I could engage, refute, etc but yeah life's too short so I just keep hitting that X.

I guess I don't take sides and play the man as hard as you do. That is not intended as a barb but more a genuine perception of our difference here.

As a thought experiment, I would look at that video and imagine it was a bot we had never met before saying what he says. Some of it would be believed by many people, some of it has skerricks of validity, and as such the rebuttals are worth listening to

But yeah, I understand that you've just had enough of him and he's in the bin as far as you are concerned. Waste of time. I guess my comparison would be all the flat earth s**t I get on FB for some reason. I could engage, refute, etc but yeah life's too short so I just keep hitting that X.
But that is the thing i was getting at earlier

It's not a thought experiment

It's not a new bot

It's a public figure with years of history behind it

There's another problem with all this anti-science crap around covid, it's that there are medical experts on the anti-vax, BS side. Sure, they are a significant minority, and their studies are most likely junk, and level of expertise questionable, but there's enough of a micro-presence of naysayers to lend "credibility" in the eyes of the conspiracy theorists.

I mean, it is ironic, the "don't trust doctors" crowd conveniently believe the ones who go against the masks, vaccines, etc.

Because, you know, they're doing the real science, the good science.

We're seeing online the real ugly effects of confirmation bias. As long as there are "experts" who support the conspiracy view, and I expect that's the case because of $$$ and/or religious beliefs, combating the levels of misinformation and pseudoscience is going to be a real challenge, especially when meatheads like Rogan have as big of a reach as he does.

I haven't watched much of Funk's work but from what I've seen, it's good work and I applaud him for it, same as that climate scientist guy (sorry, forgot his name) who does a fantastic job at refuting JPs BS about climate change not being a thing.

But unfortunately, you're not going to make a huge impact unless you have a huge reach.

How many views are these actual good science communicators getting compared to the likes of Shapiro, Tate, etc? It's a real problem, unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back