Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought his presser was good. He seemed pretty annoyed by the lack of respect shown to the opposition .
If he could I think he'd make them walk over to Adelaide to contemplate their performance on the way.

He lacked the respect of Valstuin imo

No grimes also and was still allowed to run a muck

His Achilles heals had always been letting an interceptor dictate the game

Very Poor coaching

Vlaustin had been BOG against us so many times, you’d think Horse would’ve come up with something to counter him by now

He lacked the respect of Valstuin imo

No grimes also and was still allowed to run a muck

Very Poor coaching
Surprised Hayward or Fox wasn't put on in

I understand he is father figure to some etc , which I’m betting the connection to the players is 2nd to none.

I do think he needs to get a little more ruthless though at the selection table.

Could be a depth issue but Lloyd and Hayward are struggling and wouldn’t be best 22 at the top 4/6 teams imo

This is actually something I was thinking about as a ball went unopposed to Vlaustin again. How many times have we been brought undone by a loose man? He seems pathalogically opposed to manning up on them, but then he shut down Lever the other week. I wonder what he's worried about missing in our own structure by taking out the extra man?

Last edited:
This is actually something I was thinking about as a ball went unopposed to Vlaustin again. How many times have we been brought undone by a loose man? He seems pathalogically opposed to them, but then he shut down Lever the other week. I wonder what he's worried about missing in our own structure by taking out the extra man?
Undeniably that happens and some coaches have the philosophy of trusting their plan to be better than their opposite number. Inflexible arrogant call it what you like but the key is adjusting before it gets out of hand. Burgoyne 2014 GF prime example of it. Then again the word Insanity also comes to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to Horse, our forward entries were that bad that if it wasn't Vlastuin it would've been someone else marking everything. It was like we were averse to putting it to our forwards' advantage. It led to a lot of dysfyunction in our forward line as the forwards were leading in places where you would reasonably expect a forward to lead to, and then the ball was going somewhere else, and the Tigers defenders were just anticipating that so much better than our forwards were and pushing off them to intercept.

The shame is that from about midway through the third term, the Tigers defenders seemed so confident that they were outright leaving their men to push up at the ball-carrier and pounce on the turnover they expected to come. It meant we actually had some moments where our forwards had some isolation, and were in genuine winning positions to take marks without an opponent near them. All we had to do was get it to them. Instead we just continued butchering entry after entry and giving Richmond's defenders the turnovers they wanted and ultimately expected.

When Errol Gulden's putting routine 30-40m passes square on opposition players' chests, uncontested, MULTIPLE times, you can forget about having a functioning forward line, and you can just pencil in the other team's best defender for the three Brownlow votes nearly every time.

This is actually something I was thinking about as a ball went unopposed to Vlaustin again. How many times have we been brought undone by a loose man? He seems pathalogically opposed to manning up on them, but then he shut down Lever the other week. I wonder what he's worried about missing in our own structure by taking out the extra man?
I wasn’t at the ground but there was one point when the commentator mentioned that we were trying to but
they kept creating the loose man by pushing more players back.

Unless I was mistaken

Last edited:
I wasn’t at the ground but there was one point when the commentator mentioned that we were trying to but
they kept creating the loose man by pushing more players back.

Unless I was mistake.
I think I heard that conversation. I remember it being about the advantages and disadvantages of manning up, but maybe it was more "at what point do you stop?".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back