News Jake Neade signs with Portland

Remove this Banner Ad

Held the footy in two against one after wingard's kick from the wing late in the last, which led directly to the goal. Great core strength for a fella so small.
This! ... As good as some of his ball work, evasive skills, and snakey runs were in the 2nd half, it is his attack and strength in contests, and 1%'ers that I luv, outstanding for such a small featherweight!

well spotted.

That early jump and half effort to take a mark is about coming down earlier and moving the opposition away from the drop of the ball.

and that core strength is amazing. how can such a small player stand up and shake off tackles? it defies physics.
Also very difficult to tackle without going high.

Jake was a victim of no half forward line in the first half. Pretty poor people in the media having a go because he didn't back into a high ball.

Jake was a victim of no half forward line in the first half. Pretty poor people in the media having a go because he didn't back into a high ball.

Yep

What was with our half forward line in that first half? Thoughts?

Yep

What was with our half forward line in that first half? Thoughts?
Listen to the podcast or I'm happy to meet you in the review thread.

You'd know better than me though hard to pick up the up the ground structures on TV

5 of the last 8 quarters he has done everything I hope he would do given what we saw the first 5 games of last year. Back to Back beautiful games lets hope he can make it 3 in a row and then 4.

I have been critical of him only playing a quarter or quarter and a half but not the last 2 finals. Shown he is a big game player like Ollie and Chad.

I reckon Chad lifts a few gears when Neade is in the side too. His kick is a beauty too, perfected the art of the delicately weighted 45m wormburner. His confidence now to run, evade and carry surprised me- seems like we may have another bonafide a-grade forward/mid on our hands.

I've removed the recent discussion for 2 main reasons:

1. Stereotyping by race is against BigFooty Rules
2. It was heading wildly off-topic.

Any future off-topic posts will be deleted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Chad lifts a few gears when Neade is in the side too .....
Correct with almost 100% scientific accuracy. Those close ones we won early last year almost all featured Neade setting up Chad for 1 or 2.

Jakey Neade is an exciting player. He's small, compact, superbly skilled, beautifully balanced and blisteringly quick. He has a great work ethic and tackles like a beast. He did a great deal of damage to Freo in the second half pushing up into the midfield and using his speed and superb movement to cut open their defence as well as pushing up and providing a forward target.

I have to admit I had doubts at the end of last year about his AFL future, just couldn't get into games and impact contests at his size. Well, he's showed that was massively premature, hard to see him out of the 22 now. Electrifying talent.

Jake Neade is not afraid of the hard contest and he has impressed more the second time around. A few more games under his belt and Jake will be a game breaker.

At the risk of side tracking, it is ironic that in successive weeks we have played against two players who walked away from our Club with 150 games under their belts. In both games Jack Hombsch and Jake Neade have shown they will be better players for us than either Chaplin or Pearce. In cannot help but think of Chaplin when I see Jack Hombsch mark and hit a target, I cannot help but think of Pearce when I see Neade put his body on the line. Hombsch and Neade are exactly what the other two were not.

I have to admit I had doubts at the end of last year about his AFL future, just couldn't get into games and impact contests at his size. Well, he's showed that was massively premature, hard to see him out of the 22 now. Electrifying talent.

Sorry, but it just staggers me that so many held this opinion after all the good things he did as a first year. He had some very ineffective games, but for a 60 odd kilogram wringing wet type to display the pace, endeavour, smarts, skill and bravery he did early on surely bought him some time to gain consistency? Small forward is a bloody difficult position to have an impact from - even the guys who are considered with the best in the business at it like Ballantyne and Rioli still cop a lot of grief for having games where they don't get near it.

Jake Neade is not afraid of the hard contest and he has impressed more the second time around. A few more games under his belt and Jake will be a game breaker.

At the risk of side tracking, it is ironic that in successive weeks we have played against two players who walked away from our Club with 150 games under their belts. In both games Jack Hombsch and Jake Neade have shown they will be better players for us than either Chaplin or Pearce. In cannot help but think of Chaplin when I see Jack Hombsch mark and hit a target, I cannot help but think of Pearce when I see Neade put his body on the line. Hombsch and Neade are exactly what the other two were not.

Agree

I kept saying on Saturday night that Pearce was the gift that keeps on giving.

He had a shocker.

Neade is great, this confidence he will take from the last few games will give him encouragement to really burn a hard pre season

That last quarter goal of Wingard's where Neade held his ground against the much bigger Duffield in a marking contest pushing back with the flight and forced it out at ground level was superb. Jet.

Loved how in that great play in the last quarter against Freo , Chad W started the run at half back Jake had to hold of two Freo players until the cavalry arrived and they got it back out to Chad who gaoled

My soccer coach used to get me to do this when I was at school. He knew I was not skilful and smaller than the other boys but he got me to be a pest and hold up the ball till other players turned up. This does two things, apart from helping your team it gives you pride and a feeling that you are contributing.

That last quarter goal of Wingard's where Neade held his ground against the much bigger Duffield in a marking contest pushing back with the flight and forced it out at ground level was superb. Jet.

Huge play. Jake's ability to stay on his feet in those contests were fantastic. His play in the 3rd on the wing when he just kept on soccering the ball forward was also great.

Moving in with Nathan Krakouer a ‘calming’ influence for Port Adelaide pocket dynamo Jake Neade
THE turning point in Jake Neade’s season when he went from being unable to get a game with the Power to being impossible to leave out, came one August afternoon at Noarlunga.

In front of just 1600 people in the SANFL, Neade — a revelation in his first season of AFL footy the year before — got his groove back.

He combined his brilliant flair in front of goal (watch the Port Adelaide v South Adelaide highlights on YouTube) with his trademark pressure that causes opposition defenders to panic.
Moving in with Nathan Krakouer a ‘calming’ influence for Port Adelaide pocket dynamo Jake Neade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back