Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he was out of the AFL in a few years.
I’d be surprised if he picks up another contract on his current trajectory. If the AFL were looking for a poster boy for lifting the draft age to 21 this guy is it because of a lack of maturity.

FWIW Apex was bang on re Naughton he was seriously on the nose around here due to his kicking! I don’t think he’s as bad as Kirby suggested, but what it says to me is the average punter focuses to much on skill at junior level. As long as the action is sound most improve once they’re in the system. The guys that struggle tend to rush and struggle under pressure.

Last edited:
FWIW Apex was bang on re Naughton he was seriously on the nose around here due to his kicking! I don’t think he’s as bad as Kirby suggested, but what it says to me is the average punter focuses to much on skill at junior level. As long as the action is sound most improve once they’re in the system. The guys that struggle tend to rush and struggle under pressure.
He's a terrible shot for goal. I have quite a few Bulldog supporting mates and there's some who are very keen to trade him off (especially now they have JUH and Darcy) due to his horrible set shot kicking. Last night is a great example of his poor kicking costing them a potential win.

I'd have him at the Pies for sure, but I'd play him back.

I thought bro sounded more friendly and more appropriate than grumpy old sook.
Besides Naughton played his juniors and started as a Defender though.
Jaidyn and our 18 swoop squad played really well and got us to a GF.
Then Fast forward we probably wouldn’t have been able to afford him after our salary fiasco anyway ( oh but wait that hindsight doesn’t suit you ) Booo our recruiting
I'm not really offended by 'bro' - quite like it actually from a young bloke. Makes me feel they're being inclusive.

Yeah at the time of the draft most Pies fans who didn't want Stephenson were salty about him being picked ahead of Darcy Fogarty rather than Naughton.
My bad. I'd forgotten that Fogarty featured in that top 10. Didn't seem to do a lot against Fremantle other thana long goal in the 1st quarter.

He's a terrible shot for goal. I have quite a few Bulldog supporting mates and there's some who are very keen to trade him off (especially now they have JUH and Darcy) due to his horrible set shot kicking. Last night is a great example of his poor kicking costing them a potential win.

He was the main culprit but not the only player that kicked the Bulldogs out of the game. I was surprised so many players elected to take long shots rather than seek someone closer in. It almost became predictable that anyone kicking for goal for the B's was going to miss.

His conversion has been better than Mihocek since the start of 2020 so it’s all relative. Your doggies mates are mad! JUH is a long long long way off being the level of forward Naughton is (he competes as well as Kelly in the air…) and Darcy’s done as much as you or I. Anyway it’d be a nice problem to have, IMO.

His conversion has been better than Mihocek since the start of 2020 so it’s all relative. Your doggies mates are mad! JUH is a long long long way off being the level of forward Naughton is (he competes as well as Kelly in the air…) and Darcy’s done as much as you or I. Anyway it’d be a nice problem to have, IMO.
They are definitely mad!

Wouldn’t be surprised if he was out of the AFL in a few years.
It’s starting to feel that way isn’t it? An astonishing waste of talent really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be surprised if he picks up another contract on his current trajectory. If the AFL were looking for a poster boy for lifting the draft age to 21 this guy is it because of a lack of maturity.

That’s the thing with Naughton though, his action was never sound. Go back and watch some junior highlights and you’ll see this super awkward weird kicking action. It’s what put myself and most others off him. In hindsight, his tremendous aerial dominance more than makes up for his kicking, but jeez, I reckon if he was with us we’d have as much confidence in his set shots as we did for Trav Cloke back in the day.

In terms of once a Rising Star then falling far, maybe Rhys Palmer? Jesse Hogan was looking like going that way but has hopefully turned the corner.
Palmer is a good one, although Stephenson seemed to be better as a Rising Star than Palmer. Hogan had a few things out his control go against him health-wise, but he does seem to be on the right track now

Can anyone recall anything quite like it?

Rhyce Palmer and Lewis Taylor both looked like future A grade superstars then turned into duds.

Stephenson was always a 1 trick pony, he’s fast with good skills but softer than butter and has a horrific attitude. Judging by how well his brain operates, he’ll probably be broke 1 year after leaving the afl system too.

Buckley's gone, come home stepho, back to where you belong

I’d throw a third rounder at him if he’d agree to a reworked contract. No way I’m giving him $600k. But the chances of him hitting again are >>>>>>>>>>> better than your average third-round proposition.

Jaidyn in round 1 looked like he did when playing for us in 2020, when he was in and out of the side, with the coaches giving him multiple chances to find some form and improve his attitude. And now he seems to have started 2022 in a similar vein. This latest dropping may be the kick up the bum he needs, but it hasn’t worked in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back