Traded Jacob Hopper [Trade with #53, #63 to Richmond for #31 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol… didn’t even finish top 10 b&f.
Of course he didn't. He was recruited to play a role as a tall defender - an old fashioned stopper. It was a gap in our backline. He was very, very good at that role and it didn't matter that he didn't offer much offensively as Richmond has a wealth of talented rebounding defenders. Richmond's weakness last year was defense, but it wasn't the back six that was the problem.

What happened was that there would be periods within just about every game (and sometimes whole games) where the opposition midfield would get hold of ours and there'd be a tsunami of inside 50s coming in. Tarrant was targeted to fulfil a role. He fulfilled it, and was part of the reason we made finals.

Hopper and Taranto were also targeted to fulfil a role - albeit a far more crucial one. They are both big bodied midfielders with a high average of both clearances and tackles. The weakness of Richmond's midfield, even when we were dominant, has always been that it has been undersized, relying on the likes of Cotchin, Edwards and Prestia to win clearances (Dusty being the one obvious exception).

Love how Hopper and Taranto were stars, A graders, gun mids etc. Now we land both, they are B graders, cant kick, average mids etc.

Never change BF oppo supporters, your fear tears are delicious :)

Love how Hopper and Taranto were stars, A graders, gun mids etc. Now we land both, they are B graders, cant kick, average mids etc.

Never change BF oppo supporters, your fear tears are delicious :)
Haven't heard either of them referred to as A graders, maybe Taranto for a little bit 3 seasons or so ago.

If you signed him on 800k per year for 6 years I guess your club did?
He's not on 800k, but I don't see how Carlton overpaying for a FA 2 years ago is related to a Richmond supporter saying that before they traded for Taranto and Hopper everyone said they were A graders, and then me saying that I don't think that's true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not on 800k, but I don't see how Carlton overpaying for a FA 2 years ago is related to a Richmond supporter saying that before they traded for Taranto and Hopper everyone said they were A graders, and then me saying that I don't think that's true.
Go back and read the last 65 pages, its humorous.

Hopper AA and BnF winner, Taranto BnF in a GF year. They are both A graders at their best.

Think a few posters / supporters, including our own, will end up with some egg on their face.

Certainly looking that way.

The thing is, Hopper has probably been one of Richmond's top 3 players this season so far, but given your unlucky run of injuries to key players and an aging midfield and playing kids who probably aren't ready for AFL level yet (least on a weekly basis) Richmond look like finishing bottom 7 or so this season, and that first round pick to give up for Hopper is looking like too steep a price to pay for a team that probably needs an fairly significant rebuild

Think a few posters / supporters, including our own, will end up with some egg on their face.

Hes a decent player but giving up a likely top 10 pick in this draft for him will hurt.

Hopper has been one of our better players this season. However, what was once a strength of ours is a major weakness in that we don't have any quality small crumbing forwards that can hit the scoreboard. We certainly get enough inside 50's we just can't score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back