Injury Jack Steven to miss start of season

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a pretty big call considering we are still 4 weeks away from the beginning of the season.

God dammit. That hurts. Facing a danger game against Melbourne without Montagna and Steven.

Lets hope that some youngsters get some good exposure in the centre and someone steps up in his absence so we can have a multi faceted midfield later in the year (clutching at straws here I know). This probably improves the chances of seeing Dunstan and/or Billings early in the year.

JACK Steven will miss the opening rounds of the AFL season with foot soreness.

The Saints' 2013 best-and-fairest winner had been carefully managing the soreness, but the problem flared recently and club officials were worried he would miss a large part of the year.

Scans on Thursday revealed no reason for surgery, but the onballer will be sidelined for at least six weeks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-27/st-kilda-star-out-for-six

Thats depressing!

6 weeks seems like a long time for "foot soreness"
still no word from the club either
That's what i thought especially with "no reason for surgery."

i would imagine we will see Saunders take his spot and Dunstun will play

So where are they getting 6 weeks from exactly?

There's no specific problem it seems but they know its going to be 6 weeks? Seems a bit speculative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just what we didn't need, he's pretty much our no.1 midfielder now and it's not like we have an abundance of quality midfielders that can cover for him.

6 weeks would suggest it's a foot fracture similar to Gilbert rather than just soreness, hopefully he doesn't miss too many games whatever it is.

JACK Steven is set to miss the start of the 2014 AFL season after injuring his right foot at training today.

The reigning best and fairest winner will be sidelined for 8-10 weeks following a fracture in his sesamoid bone.

“Jack has been training strongly throughout the pre-season but pulled-up sore after training today,” Head of Football Chris Pelchen said.

“Scans conducted late this afternoon revealed a fracture in his right foot which is obviously disappointing for both Jack and the club on the eve of the 2014 season."

“It’s important to note that the fracture is not stress related and followed an innocuous incident during training.”

The midfielder will not require surgery and is expected to return to training in 4-5 weeks.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-02-27/steven-to-miss-start-of-season

Round 1 team now, considering injuries:

B: Dempster - Delaney - Geary
HB: Roberton - Bruce - Fisher
C: Newnes - Jones - Ray
HF: Savage - Riewoldt - Saunders
F: Dennis-Lane - Maister - Stanley
R: Hickey - Armitage - Curren
Int: Ross - Hayes - Webster
Sub: Dunstan
Em: Longer - Gwilt - Siposs

That's a team that - and I can't believe I'm saying this - is a chance of losing to the Dees... It's got one hell of a maligned full forward line!

That being said, if we're winning comfortably I'd say Hayes subbed for Dunstan; if not, then Ray probably the one to go for Dunstan, with Jones shifted out onto the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back