Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

We've done a great job of signing up the stars of the team this year. Hopefully Billings continues to play like he did last weekend. He could be something very special.
I'd like to hear something about Jack Steven and his future with the club. I'd hate to think on the back of all this, he could be at Geelong next year.

Anyway, good on Billings. What a boost on the eve of a must win game.

The management have been doing a great job , getting Billings signed up is a big boost for the club , now knowing we have our best talent all signed up.

Great stuff JB...….it certainly eases the nerves knowing all of what we consider to be the best/young talent all signed up.

Great stuff Saints,

"Billings joined the Saints at pick No. 3 in the 2013 National Draft and hasn’t looked back since.

“I’m really happy to cement my future at the Saints,” Billings said.

“I really love this club. We have a great group of players who I love running out with every week, our coaching and support staff are second-to-none and most importantly our fans are amazing and make all of it worthwhile.

“I really want to be part of bringing success to this club and I’m concentrating on making that happen.”

Billings debuted in the red, white and black in Round 1, 2014 against Melbourne. He is now preparing to play his 98th game for the club this weekend against Brisbane."

A slow burn but a good one. Here's hoping he keeps the trend going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've done a great job of signing up the stars of the team this year. Hopefully Billings continues to play like he did last weekend. He could be something very special.
I'd like to hear something about Jack Steven and his future with the club. I'd hate to think on the back of all this, he could be at Geelong next year.

Anyway, good on Billings. What a boost on the eve of a must win game.

Billings is something special. Is elite in every area but defensive pressure and direct kicking at goal. Has had these two slight weaknesses since he first played the game. Jack Steven's outcome will be Jack Steven's decision, not the club. We owe him more than he owes us.

I'm happy Billings has signed, but I'm going to be a bit cynical here, as I am not completely convinced on him. Let's hope that the contract year wonder kid can give us the remainder of this year and all of the next, before he turns it on again for 2021 contract discussion.

Do we believe Billings when he says he never considered leaving the club? Seems to take an awful long while to close the deal; an impasse with respect to money/years?

I do believe him.
Pretty sure there is plenty of to and fro on the majority of contracts before there’s agreement.

Club would probably have wanted more years, but player, smartly, wanted the number of years until free agency where he can really load up on his next contract.

I’d lay odds (and I never bet) that he’ll sign up with us again at the end of this deal.

Do we believe Billings when he says he never considered leaving the club? Seems to take an awful long while to close the deal; an impasse with respect to money/years?
Waiting to sign his new contract doesn't mean he was actively looking around. He knew he underperformed last year and backed himself in to earn a bigger contract this year. The two years will take him to free agency, where his aim will be to get a longer deal on even more money than he is on now - which is very achievable for him.

Plus, he always looks anxious when he is near a camera. He wouldn't be able to lie so frequently about not wanting to leave without it being completely obvious he wanted out. Every time he spoke about his contract, his answer never changed and he didn't have that terrified look when asked. Amazingly, he actually loves the club and wants to play for us.

St Kilda locks in highly sought-after star wingman Jack Billings until the end of 2021
AFL

Josh Gabelich

AFL Round 8. 10/05/2019. St Kilda vs West Coast Eagles at Marvel Stadium. Jack Billings of the Saints. Pic: Michael Klein.

St Kilda star Jack Billings has turned his back on rival offers, inking a two-year deal on Thursday night that ties him to Moorabbin until at least the end of 2021.
The 23-year-old has emerged as a genuine star of the competition in the first half of 2019, putting himself in the frame for All-Australian selection following a blistering start to the season.

The 2013 No. 3 pick produced one of the best performances of his career against Gold Coast in Townsville last weekend and is averaging 26.1 disposals — the fourth most of any wingman in the AFL — 6.2 marks and 3.2 inside 50s from 12 appearances.

With young gun Jade Gresham signing a four-year extension in May, the Saints have now secured their two most important signatures for the year.

And with off-season acquisition Dan Hannebery set to make his first appearance for Alan Richardson’s side since arriving at the club last October, and star defender Jake Carlisle to play his first senior game of the season on Saturday, it has been a great day for St Kilda.

Jack Billings flicks out a handball at Marvel Stadium this year.

Nearly six years into his time at St Kilda, Billings said he never wanted to move elsewhere and is determined to play a key role in chasing the Saints’ first premiership since 1966 — and second ever.

“I’m obviously excited to get it done. I always wanted to stay at the club; I love this place,” Billings told the Herald Sun.

“I am a loyal person. We’ve got a great group here.

“Personally, I am just hoping I can play a part in winning the club’s second premiership. That’s obviously the focus as the list we have got coming through is really exciting.

“I’m pumped. I just love so many of the young boys coming through, and hopefully we can build towards something special.”

Jack Billings snaps at goal ahead of Patrick Cripps last season.

Billings has played 97 games since he was drafted the pick after Greater Western Sydney midfielder Josh Kelly and the pick before Western Bulldogs vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli.

St Kilda list manager James Gallagher believes the Scotch College product will play a crucial role for the club as they look to return to September for the first time since 2011.

“To have Jack recommit to the club is really exciting and further confirms that we’re building something really special,” Gallagher said.

“Jack represents a key part of the nucleus of younger players that we feel will be the drivers of the next successful on-field period for the St Kilda Football Club.

“We’ve seen Jack step up his leadership capacity this year, which he has taken in his stride. We believe he’ll only grow into that further as he matures.”

Some people disagree on our drafting choices etc etc.. but I think people are really overlooking how well the club is actually keeping this group of players together. At some point enough of these kids are going to hit that point of experience that we become a genuine contender. It may not happen until the 2013 crop are hitting 25 and their prime but if they can keep the band together until then I truly do believe we could have a number of years of solid contention.

Some people disagree on our drafting choices etc etc.. but I think people are really overlooking how well the club is actually keeping this group of players together. At some point enough of these kids are going to hit that point of experience that we become a genuine contender. It may not happen until the 2013 crop are hitting 25 and their prime but if they can keep the band together until then I truly do believe we could have a number of years of solid contention.

I laugh about some of the stuff that people on this site say about Billings.
He's too quiet.
He doesn't look happy.
He has no confidence.
He is going to Essendon because of his dad.
If Richo stays he will leave.
And he gets written off whenever he has a couple of quietish games.

Meanwhile he keeps improving and getting more consistency to his game. And he looks perfectly happy to me.
Fantastic news for the club that he has locked himself in till the end of 2021.

Last edited:
I laugh about some of the stuff that people on this site say about Billings.
He's too quiet.
He doesn't look happy.
He has no confidence.
He is going to Essendon because of his dad.
If Richo stays he will leave.
And he gets written off whenever he has a couple of quietish games.

Meanwhile he keeps improving and getting more consistency to his game. And he looks perfectly happy to me.
Fantastic news for the club that he has locked himself in till the end of 2021.
It wouldnt surprise me if he is the captain in a few years time.
He seems to have taken a leadership role in his stride and loves that responsibility.

It wouldnt surprise me if he is the captain in a few years time.
He seems to have taken a leadership role in his stride and loves that responsibility.
Agree.
he seems just a naturally quiet shy person.
A bit like Harvey was. I think people can sometimes link that to being timid bit it's not necessarily so.
Yes his kicking was wayward last yr but he had heaps of scoring shots and score involvements and this year he is having a great season further up the ground.
That's a couple of seasons in a row now he has threatened to tear the comp apart.
He is a bees d**K away from being A.A.
We wouldn't have won last week without him
Besides from some people's concerns about him I think he is improving at a good rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back