Opinion It is URGENT. Open Tasmania Football Club for membership next week...

Remove this Banner Ad

Perry Pie

All Australian
Sep 19, 2009
Liverpool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Besiktas J.K.
There is a lot of heat over the new stadium and the club. Right now there is no club to fight for its existence or to marshal Tasmanian support for the club. There is nothing there, just promises.

It is critical that the club is established as fast as possible. Open up membership at say $10 for 2023/24, invite the members to participate in early colour choices, feedback on badges etc. Get some "names" on board to start establishing a committee, etc. Start showing that the club exists and has support across the state.

Even have a temporary jumper and badge - start a nickname too - anything will do. Call them the "Woodchoppers" and declare Collingwood the enemy, anything to start to forge the club.

The business benefit of this is that you will start to build the member database, you will start to get an identity, you can sell merchandise and build the team from now. Have Tasmanians in an office in Tasmania who can speak for the club and the clubs members. The first 15,000 members who sign up will get the first chance to buy tickets for the first AFL game in Tassie and the first AFL game at the new stadium (that could be different).

The time is now....

Agreed. Would also love if they could speed up the name, colours process and start rolling out merchandise. I want to be one of those nerds who rock up to a game decked out in my Tassie gear and they aren’t even playing 😅

I wonder if they will start a wait list of people wanting to buy season memberships soon. It’s the only way you’re going to be able to attend a game at the new stadium.

There is a lot of heat over the new stadium and the club. Right now there is no club to fight for its existence or to marshal Tasmanian support for the club. There is nothing there, just promises.

It is critical that the club is established as fast as possible. Open up membership at say $10 for 2023/24, invite the members to participate in early colour choices, feedback on badges etc. Get some "names" on board to start establishing a committee, etc. Start showing that the club exists and has support across the state.

Even have a temporary jumper and badge - start a nickname too - anything will do. Call them the "Woodchoppers" and declare Collingwood the enemy, anything to start to forge the club.

The business benefit of this is that you will start to build the member database, you will start to get an identity, you can sell merchandise and build the team from now. Have Tasmanians in an office in Tasmania who can speak for the club and the clubs members. The first 15,000 members who sign up will get the first chance to buy tickets for the first AFL game in Tassie and the first AFL game at the new stadium (that could be different).

The time is now....
I will sign up the day memberships become available, but starting with temporary branding is not a good idea. $10 is also unsustainable as it won't even cover the admin costs. Make it $50, aim for a minimum 30K initial membership and you've got $1.5M in the bank to really get things rolling.

Agreed. Would also love if they could speed up the name, colours process and start rolling out merchandise. I want to be one of those nerds who rock up to a game decked out in my Tassie gear and they aren’t even playing 😅

I wonder if they will start a wait list of people wanting to buy season memberships soon. It’s the only way you’re going to be able to attend a game at the new stadium.
Like this one?

Yes, but after they announce team name/colours etc. A more official one. I'm already stressed about not being able to secure tickets.
Me too. I sent them an email yesterday asking when we will be able to purchase memberships.

Why rush? Why mess it up? It doesn't make any sense.

The best built clubs go through community consultation of colours, names, and even what they want their memberships to look like.

It's why I think the Tassie VFL team is a priority - it's something to attach memberships to that aren't necessarily attached to the AFL team if you decide at some point that you don't want them to be.

The team doesn't even have a board yet, where would the money be going? You'd be giving the cynics cause for whinging already.

The best built clubs go through community consultation of colours, names, and even what they want their memberships to look like.

It's why I think the Tassie VFL team is a priority - it's something to attach memberships to that aren't necessarily attached to the AFL team if you decide at some point that you don't want them to be.

The team doesn't even have a board yet, where would the money be going? You'd be giving the cynics cause for whinging already.
Agree with a lot of what you say here. But I think this needs to start now.
Opening the membership starts the club's creation and supports the stadium. Several thousand members would be great, it will demonstrate the support for the club and remind politicians that there is widespread local support for the club. Right now the anti AFL groups are able to portray the club as being imposed on Tassie. Real members in the thousands will have an impact.

So that we can show how many people are interested.
Everything I am reading right now says "they don't even want a team" because the only voices they're hearing are the state Greens and all the loud, progress hating Boomers in the state.

Wait until you hear them backtrack like "oh, I wanted a team, I just didn't want the stadium" as if that was ever a choice.
We get it, you don't care about people other than yourselves.

We're setting ourselves up for disaster if we expect people to buy memberships 4 years before the team exists as a show of public support for the team...

Tasmanian's will get to show their support in the election in 2 years.

We're setting ourselves up for disaster if we expect people to buy memberships 4 years before the team exists as a show of public support for the team...

Any chance election will be sooner. I hear Labor doing a non confidence vote for the libs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The agreement the now independent ex-libs have made with the government guarantees their vote on any confidence motions. It also covers anything that could be a trigger for an early election.

Reginald, it's so refreshing reading some comments with any parliamentary knowledge.
I have had to stay away from social media as some of the opinions on things are SO ill informed.

Reginald, it's so refreshing reading some comments with any parliamentary knowledge.
I have had to stay away from social media as some of the opinions on things are SO ill informed.
Understandable, any further updates re the workings of the government or labor.

I bought a GWS Foundation Membership, pretty sure it was $50. Not sure how many years in advance they sold it though, might have been the year before.

4 years does seem a bit excessive I agree, but on the other hand I can see the logic behind what the OP is saying.

The time is now....

Theyve got 60 days from the day the agreement was signed - on or around may 3 - to set up the board and incorporate at the very least. Unlikely to see anything before july 2.

1685409211677.png

Theyve got 60 days from the day the agreement was signed - on or around may 3 - to set up the board and incorporate at the very least. Unlikely to see anything before july 2.

View attachment 1700360
Anyone heard any news on any of this yet? Starting the establishing of the club is really important - it should not be dragged out.
(I checked AFL website and there does not seem to be anything on there - but I might have missed it).

Anyone heard any news on any of this yet? Starting the establishing of the club is really important - it should not be dragged out.
(I checked AFL website and there does not seem to be anything on there - but I might have missed it).

Chairman was announced yesterday so I guess the rest board will be assembled over the next few weeks

Chairman was announced yesterday (officially today)

The board will be appointed before the end of August

Surely with a chairman followed by a board shortly. That everything else does fall into place. Can't see it getting blocked.

I wonder what the priority order is.

Chairman. (Tick.)
Board.
Club branding discussions.
Pres and CEO.
Construction of home ground.
Sponsors.
Club staff. (Recruiter and list manager included.)
Coaches.
Revelation of logo, guernsey, club song and branding.
Naming of new stadium.
Player recruitment. (12 players born between January 1-April 30 2009 to be presumably signed in either 2025 or 2026.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back