Mod. Notice Issues/Queries with the new layout

Remove this Banner Ad

I also much prefer how the previous setup showed how many pages each thread had (as a measure of popularity). You can see this but have to put your mouse pointer over it. I guess you can look to the right to see many views and posts a thread has but that's more work for my eyes ;-)

Yeah, definitely this. The mouse hover isn't so much an issue on the desktop, but when I'm browsing on my phone it doesn't seem to work. And it's much harder to do while using the laptop with one hand when I'm browsing BF as I wait for redtube to load.

there's an awful lot of white space accompanying every post that isn't several paragraphs long. it's such a waste of screen real estate. the profile info box on the left needs to be shorter; separated into two columns perhaps. it'll only get worse when all the badges are added.

i'm happy to have my piece of chocolate back though :)

(Just having a quick look around this thread.)
My only other issue is the lack of a 'MyBF/watched threads' quickjump button. I used that regularly on the old site but having to hover the mouse over the menu up the top to find 'watched threads' is a pain in the arse. Any chance of a standalone button somewhere?
You don't need to hover the mouse over anything to get Watched Threads. It's right there at the top of this page.

When are we getting colours and proper team names?
In my world, we wouldn't have the 'Other Teams:' thing either, it'd just be the name of our other teams under our AFL club.
Also, maybe there could be a banner instead of the team name? So like a really simple 'scarf' like design draping over the info box. The scarf would be striped in the colour of your club.
1. Soon-ish.
2. Just a bit of text. No biggie.
3. That's a possibility.

That might be the case with an iPad but using Safari on an iPhone to view the new Bigfooty is horrible.
Really? Try tipping your iPhone on its side. I find it MUCH better than the old version. Less pinching.

When the new mobile options come out with the next version of Xen we'll have a mobile skin everyone can use.

You don't need to hover the mouse over anything to get Watched Threads. It's right there at the top of this page.

That works on certain boards like this one, but not on others.

When you're on a team board for example, that menu at the top switches from the 'forums' tab to the 'your team' tab and the watched threads button disappears.

Anyway, I've ended up working around the issue by bookmarking the 'watched threads' page in my toolbar so I've always got a stand-alone quickjump button up the top of the browser.

That works on certain boards like this one, but not on others.

When you're on a team board for example, that menu at the top switches from the 'forums' tab to the 'your team' tab and the watched threads button disappears.

Anyway, I've ended up working around the issue by bookmarking the 'watched threads' page in my toolbar so I've always got a stand-alone quickjump button up the top of the browser.

I've been having the same thing....I just put arrow over the immediate right side of Forums and a drop down appears with the watched threads etc......but it is a bit of a pest, although no big deal really in the scheme of things..

Overall I must say I am not a fan and my posting has dropped off since it changed over (I am not a big poster mind you but my readership has dropped off a lot too). Pros are the like feature, alerts & better avatars which I think are great.

However the team name not being highlighted sucks (and given its a footy forum is actually quite important), the lack of the drop down box to select a new forum to go to sucks (the 'quick' navigation feature is far too slow), the emoticons clearly suck :(, but really the biggest turn off is the grey on grey on grey colour scheme. Who really thought that would be a good idea??? Makes the whole site appear bland and featureless.

The white space is exactly the way it was on the old site.

there's a lot of padding around the box in the left column, and the addition of post counts. also, every user now has an avatar taking up space. it certainly feeeeels like i'm scrolling a lot more. but even if it is the same, is the point not still valid? screen real estate would be much better utilised for most posts if the left column weren't so tall.

and speaking of avatars... the OP avatar thumbnails appearing alongside each thread are rather pointless, aren't they?

just, uh, constructive criticism. i don't mean to sound like an ingrate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think you should have to be a member of BigFooty for 6 or 12 months before you can start a thread. Yes it's unfair to some people, but the guys running around posting stupid crap under aliases ('melbourne_2_good_4_u', 'tap_my_scott' etc) would give up pretty quick, people would not start the same old threads (as they would learn) and the overall quality of the board would improve.

Is there something going on creating massive lag the past couple of days?

For example to load this page in order to post this query has taken 16 minutes just to load it all. When I clicked on the thread link, the top section including thread title loaded instantly. Then it took 8 minutes to load half the posts, then nothing for another 8 minutes when it displayed the rest of the page and the ability to reply. This has been the same for everything for me for probably three days. I just click a page, do something else for 10 minutes and come back to read the thread page and post a reply.

All other websites load perfectly with no slow downs.

Also, it is the same for my work PC on highspeed cable and Internet Explorer, at home Naked DSL Firefox, and my Ipad on 3G... all take the same time to load pages...

Sorry if its been posted elsewhere, but as it take 10 - 15 minutes to load each page its not exactly easy to click around and find out

Not sure if this has been said or not, and it's a pretty silly thing to be annoyed at, but why are the team names not capitalised under each username?

Is there something going on creating massive lag the past couple of days?

For example to load this page in order to post this query has taken 16 minutes just to load it all. When I clicked on the thread link, the top section including thread title loaded instantly. Then it took 8 minutes to load half the posts, then nothing for another 8 minutes when it displayed the rest of the page and the ability to reply. This has been the same for everything for me for probably three days. I just click a page, do something else for 10 minutes and come back to read the thread page and post a reply.

All other websites load perfectly with no slow downs.

Also, it is the same for my work PC on highspeed cable and Internet Explorer, at home Naked DSL Firefox, and my Ipad on 3G... all take the same time to load pages...

Sorry if its been posted elsewhere, but as it take 10 - 15 minutes to load each page its not exactly easy to click around and find out
If that happens, stop the page loading and reload it.

We've been having issues with 3rd party advertising servers.

Not sure if this has been said or not, and it's a pretty silly thing to be annoyed at, but why are the team names not capitalised under each username?
Mentioned in the main thread on Feedback Board - this will be fixed up.

Hey Main Board fellas,

If you have any serious issues or what some questions answered pop them in here and we will try and answer them for you.

If you haven't made it down to the suggestion/feedback board have a look there because you're question may have already been answered.

Currently working on these issues:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/xen-issues-list-check-here-to-see-what-were-working-on.955222/

Fire away.
Why has the date and time of posts been omitted (or placed somewhere where I haven't found it?

really getting sick of errors popping up. nearly every post it does this. i dont reckon i had 1 with the old system. really driving me crazy, is this going to be fixed or is this it?

edit: surprisingly this post went thru!

Still don't like it, all other forums I frequent use the old style, why did bigfooty have to change?, seems the quality of posting has dropped quite a bit of late too.

I honestly think you should have to be a member of BigFooty for 6 or 12 months before you can start a thread. Yes it's unfair to some people, but the guys running around posting stupid crap under aliases ('melbourne_2_good_4_u', 'tap_my_scott' etc) would give up pretty quick, people would not start the same old threads (as they would learn) and the overall quality of the board would improve.

Or at least it needs to get mod approval. Post the thread and if the mod agrees it goes up. This would stop a lot of the "player x is too dreamy threads" too (mods could direct them to appropriate board).

I quite like the new system, although it takes some getting used to.

I have a question, although I understand if it can't be answered. I admin a reasonably large forum -- not the size of BF, but we have 300,000 users and 8 million posts. It's a phpBB board running on two Amazon EC2 Large instance servers (a MySQL backend + a web frontend).

I'm curious as to how you've found the performance of the XenForo software, and roughly what kind of hardware you need to power this site. I actually hadn't even heard of XenForo before, but it's quite impressive that it seems to be running so well on a site with 24M posts.

Final Siren - in a word, awesome. The back end functionality is just so much better than vBulletin, Admin CP is cleaner and more user-friendly, user management is easier. Everything runs smoother, it's just so much lighter on the database (and therefore server resources).

It's newer software so the level of customisation you get with vB isn't quite there, but that's a pretty small thing IMO and possibly not something that would bother you if you were moving from phpBB. As far as a comparison to phpBB - I have only used that software as an Admin on very small forums, but I don't like it. Find it very cumbersome and slow, customisation limited and difficult. I guess that's a tradeoff since it's free, but if you moved to something like XenForo you'd be dealing on a different level.

If you're using phpBB though, the cost of Xen might be a turnoff. You have to pay for the software and licensing, and plugins often have a cost attached. I guess it comes down to a question of whether phpBB is doing the job that you need it to do, or if your forum has outgrown it.

You might want to PM Chief if you have detailed questions about iron, etc.

You can also ask around at http://xenforo.com/community/ - their users comprise admins from a lot of forums of different sizes that have migrated from all sorts of software including phpBB, and are always happy to share their experiences.

really getting sick of errors popping up. nearly every post it does this. i dont reckon i had 1 with the old system. really driving me crazy, is this going to be fixed or is this it?

edit: surprisingly this post went thru!

mods can i get a response? have said this before but no answer.

thanks flea.

ps got another error response!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back